Home

TheSinner.net

Coffee

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Coffee

Postby Rilla on Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:51 pm

With all the talk of tea on these boards, I feel coffee deserves some attention. IMHO, there is nothing (*) quite like the effect a good cup of coffee has. I feel I can fly. It gives me wings. I can get more work done after a cup of coffee in an hour than I would in a day otherwise. I need to eat less. I am more productive. It tastes so delicious. I think it deserves more attention.

(*) nothing legal anyway

[hr]
The morning cup of coffee has an exhilaration about it which the cheering influence of the afternoon or evening cup of tea cannot be expected to reproduce. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., "Over the Teacups," 1891

Decaffeinated coffee is the devil's blend. ~Author Unknown

A morning without coffee is like sleep. ~Author Unknown

I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee. ~Flash Rosenberg

Behind every successful woman... is a substantial amount of coffee. ~Stephanie Piro

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat. ~Alex Levine
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Scellanis on Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:57 pm

I disagree...tea is the answer....at least 5 cups a day...more if possible but don't mix it with chocolate on an empty stomach...no thats bad...that will have you bouncing off the ceiling...trust me, I've tried it and I wont be doing that again...

[hr]IMAGE:userpic.livejournal.com/13853292/2477042

[s]This image is copyright to Scellanis and may not be used without her permission. Visit http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/s/o/ ... onkem.html to see more...[/s]
IMAGE:userpic.livejournal.com/13853292/2477042

[s]This image is copyright to Scellanis and may not be used without her permission. Visit http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/s/o/ ... onkem.html to see more...[/s]
Scellanis

mmm, coffee

Postby lauremw on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:16 pm

Coffee does deserve a lot more credit than it gets. There is nothing that can make me pound out an essay faster than several cups of coffee. Mochas are even better - the chocolate + coffee, I get my caffeine to make it through the morning (well, alright, the afternoon) and enough chocolate to get my recommended amount of copper per day (don't believe me? look it up!). There are even songs written about good coffee!

~lauremw
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:53 pm

Tea.

Coffee is vile.

[hr][s]I am the gin man[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Linwe on Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:26 pm

totally agree with Steveo. coffee is disgusting! although i do adore coffee based sweets and alcohol(s)! go figure!!!
Linwe

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:13 pm

Ever the diplomat, I love them both. It's all about the mood.

[hr]"Fiat justicia ruat colelum (let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Mocha Watch St Andrews

Postby Joesta on Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:56 am

Mocha Watch

I propose we establish a guide so that people can find the BEST Mocha's in St Andrews: To get the ball Rolling:

MacGregors:-Very nice, creamy and chocolatey - guarantied to help on a cold winters say -which is just as well since it appears that we are entering a new iceage (****-)

The Vic - For £1.95 you can get a Mocha, Cream and MARSHMALLOWS - absolutely amazing, drool. (*****)

Any suggestions / different opinions
Joesta

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:55 am

It's a shame that, in a town with so many cafes, it's so difficult to find a decent cup of coffee. Not a latte, not a frappachino, not a skinny half-and-half mochachino - a cup of black coffee. Costa is a pit of evilness, Brambles' coffee is pretty vile, MacGregor's is OK, Java Junction is yuk. Bizarrely, Chesterhills do a reasonable cup, though one has to sit with the geriatrics.

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Warlike Lover on Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:04 am

Has to be the Old Union Coffee Bar.

I'd heard rumours that they were good, but it was only after I'd actually been and had one myself that I knew the true meaning of mocha.
Warlike Lover

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:06 pm

forget coffee and tea. (although I like good strong tea). I like hot chocolate the best, if it's light on the sugar so that the chocolate is overwhelming and somewhat bitter.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Wong on Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:21 pm

I can't drink coffee or tea as the amount of caffeine in them makes me physically sick (my stomach is a bit on the pathetic side in that department, also having an aversion to nearly everything carbonated). I do like hot chocolate, though, but in my case I prefer it with so much sugar that it causes my hands to start twitching.
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:40 pm

[s]Wong wrote on 14:21, 13th Nov 2004:
I can't drink coffee or tea as the amount of caffeine in them makes me physically sick (my stomach is a bit on the pathetic side in that department, also having an aversion to nearly everything carbonated). I do like hot chocolate, though, but in my case I prefer it with so much sugar that it causes my hands to start twitching.

what about herbal teas? I am a big fan of jasmine tea.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:00 pm

I think we should ban caffeine in public places

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Love on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:02 pm

OOOoooohhh so many chocolate lovers....I love mocha flavored coffee. Did anyone hear about the chocolate flavored liquid stevia that you can add to coffee, teas, etc. It adds sweetness & chocolate flavor with zero cals, carbs, and glycemic index! Cheers!
Love

Re:

Postby sweet on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:46 pm

The Coffee House! You can get a decent Irish Coffee, also various speciality blends. It is also less than cool - brilliant!

Coffee is best first thing in the morning (if one isn't feeling too delicate) in a big mug made by someone else. Or at about 11 am when you have had half a glass of water and an apple to sustain yourself and by god you would sell.... something valuable.... for a nice cup of java, one sugar. By the way, the posher the person, the fewer sugars they take in their coffee. True! But why? Hmmmmm.

Costa coffee.... why oh why would anyone drink that ash tasting vile mneh? The only thing Costa does right is peppermint tea. It is no doubt the fault of the bean and not the staff of course. Not David Bean, the coffee bean. I think I need a drink...
sweet

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:05 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 09:55, 13th Nov 2004
Bizarrely, Chesterhills do a reasonable cup, though one has to sit with the geriatrics.

Chesterhills is no more :( I quite liked it in there - used to be empty most of the times I went in.

I have to stick to decaff mostly these days - one proper cup in the morning and that's all the caffeine I can cope with!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting Joesta from 02:56, 13th Nov 2004
Mocha Watch

I propose we establish a guide so that people can find the BEST Mocha's in St Andrews: To get the ball Rolling:

MacGregors:-Very nice, creamy and chocolatey - guarantied to help on a cold winters say -which is just as well since it appears that we are entering a new iceage (****-)

The Vic - For £1.95 you can get a Mocha, Cream and MARSHMALLOWS - absolutely amazing, drool. (*****)

Fag.

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Joesta from 02:56, 13th Nov 2004
Mocha Watch

Urgh!

Coffee is at it's most delicious and sweetest in pure unadulterated black espresso form. Sends a tasty shiver to the nerves it does. I love tea, but coffee is far classier.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting queen of scots from 23:05, 21st Apr 2006
Quoting Eliot Wilson from 09:55, 13th Nov 2004
Bizarrely, Chesterhills do a reasonable cup, though one has to sit with the geriatrics.

Chesterhills is no more :( I quite liked it in there - used to be empty most of the times I went in.

Perhaps that's why it is no more

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:11 pm

Urgh....coffee is rank...it's tea all the way for me!

Can't beat a good cup of Desi Chai......hmmmmmmm
harmless loony

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board