Home

TheSinner.net

KT Tunstall

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Live music in St Andrews

Postby Oli on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:46 pm

Discuss here!
Oli

let's get back to KT...

Postby Oli on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:47 pm

Let's get back to discussing KT shall we?

Continue the debate about other live acts here:
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=12605
Oli

Re:

Postby MusOffDave on Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:42 pm

[s]quarterstaff wrote on 23:37, 22nd Nov 2004:
In terms of booking and promoting the event, Joy Zipper was nothing to do with the Union, so it's not really an issue of them 'giving bands a chance'. This was an Altsoc affair.

and why did altsoc choose KC as the support - cronyism.

last i remember KC had only one set of 5 songs that they played EVERY jam night in aikmans.

encouraging live music WITHIN st andrews with 'im with the band' is great... but surely allowing the best bands to support the paid , famous acts would be good for the university/town reputation, the band and the music scene.

it seems very partisan that the band with one of the least expansive set lists, competent though unexceptional musicians, and happens to be the band of the music officer is getting the good gigs.

i hope i am incorrect, and that things are not as they appear.

When we played aikmans we did have a very narrow setlist, but the last time we played aikmans was a very long time ago and we had only just properly got things together. We don't play the same five songs anymore. I don't even have to defend this! You've had an explaination as to why we've played the past two gigs. If you are in a band and you want a support gig then e-mail musfund@st-and.ac.uk and you will get a support slot.

As for "cronyism" with altsoc, there is one band that goes to Altsoc...and guess who that is? Go on. Guess.
MusOffDave

Re:

Postby gringo on Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:55 pm

[s]Oli wrote on 23:47, 22nd Nov 2004:

couldn't agree with you more oli.

what an awesome gig it was, was gutted it had to end. no amount of toe-tapping, floor-stomping or humming along could do it justice. Book her again, but do it quick, she's going to be in muchos demand methinks!
gringo

Re:

Postby Dan Canaveral on Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:16 pm

[s]quarterstaff wrote on 23:37, 22nd Nov 2004:
and why did altsoc choose KC as the support - cronyism.

Why should altsoc not play Kid Canaveral at gigs they put on? Should Rocksoc refrain from putting on Ex Machina at their gigs for fear of 'cronyism'? Should the Patriot Act be banned from Livesoc Jam Nights? This is ridiculous.

last i remember KC had only one set of 5 songs that they played EVERY jam night in aikmans.

We haven't played Aikman's in 7 months, when, fair enough, we had about 5 songs.
Since then, we've recorded and released our second EP, recorded material for an album in the new year and written more stuff beyond that. If you've been to see us since we've been at Aikman's then you'll know that we have more than 5 songs, and if you haven't seen us since Aikman's then how on earth can you feel you're informed enough to say we only have 5 songs? Sounds like 'the last you remember' is a very long time ago.

it seems very partisan that the band with one of the least expansive set lists, competent though unexceptional musicians, and happens to be the band of the music officer is getting the good gigs.

This appears to be the crux of the mattter. If you don't like our music, then that's fine, but don't try to blame us getting gigs on what you perceive to be bias owing to David's position, rather than the fact that maybe we get gigs because we're actually not that bad and people other than you like us.

And in any case - we played at TIFFANY! Lucky us, getting all the good gigs...
[s]Get off my battlefield[/s]
Dan Canaveral

50 cents

Postby sweet on Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:38 pm

Well I thought kid c did great, catchy songs, and the drummer is fab! Would like to hear more of kate's stuff please tis the buisness.

But.... could we see some fresh st andrews blood at the bigger gigs? People have a point you wouldn't know there are any other st andrew's bands at all (apart from patriot act at tiffany!) from going to the big name gigs. Are the rest really that crap? And blaming other bands for not emailing you is a bit of a weak excuse!

Hey ho. KT was fookin' amazing! Funny to. And a nice bum.

X
sweet

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:54 pm

[s]sweet wrote on 12:38, 24th Nov 2004:
(apart from patriot act at tiffany!)

patriot act didnt play at tiffany, the support acts that night were KC, submachine and an inhouse DJ.
niall

Re:

Postby sweet on Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:56 pm

[s]niall wrote on 14:54, 24th Nov 2004:
[s]sweet wrote on 12:38, 24th Nov 2004:[i]

patriot act didnt play at tiffany, the support acts that night were KC, submachine and an inhouse DJ.
[/i]

and i thought sinner people spent all their time looking for other people's nits! yuk what a mental image.
sweet

getting back to kt

Postby sweet on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:34 pm

[s]Oli wrote on 23:47, 22nd Nov 2004:[i]

Best gig in union EVER altho fence's support of joy zipper t'other year was also the best gig in the union ever in a totally chilled out and gorgeous way.

Really nice to see lots of folks from the town in as well. Here's a question for yehs all - do we have a weird reponse to acts here? More than one nonstudent what I've been to gigs with has commented that we all seem to just stand and stare rather than look like we're enjoying ourselves, do we and is it rude?

anyway have ordered kt's alb to as well also and am pant wettingly excited about it arriving already

X
sweet

HEY!!

Postby Guest on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:36 pm

I resent that allegation!! We did no such thing!! Everyone's gotta come to the battle of the bands tonight. Tis going to rock mightily!

Re:

Postby sweet on Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:59 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 12:53, 24th Nov 2004:[i]

I resent that allegation!! We did no such thing!!

very sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, me memory's long gone! Anyway my point was bands like yerself should mebbe get a few more highprofile gigs. Then i'd know whos who....
sweet

Fairplay to yous...

Postby MusOffDave on Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:55 pm

The next high profile gig with support slots is an altsoc affair in December. As I said e-mail me at musfund@st-and.ac.uk and the first one to do so was...

Elliot's Ambition

The line up will now be

MOTORMARK
THE APHRODISIACS
ELLIOT'S AMBITION

Saturday 11th December
MusOffDave

Re:

Postby sweet on Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:49 pm

Marvellous system. Not at all offensive to Elliot's Ambition that they have been choosen on this basis rather than that you think they're any good!

Would've thought bands would be choosen on the basis of how good they are, how complementary to the band they are to support, and that they haven't had a disproportionately large number of gigs so far... Especially after battle of the bands surely you know every local band and could invite the ones who met this sort of criteria to play?

Never mind still nice of you, and I'm looking forward to seeing them
X
sweet

Re:

Postby MusOffDave on Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:35 pm

[s]sweet wrote on 12:49, 26th Nov 2004:
Marvellous system. Not at all offensive to Elliot's Ambition that they have been choosen on this basis rather than that you think they're any good!

Would've thought bands would be choosen on the basis of how good they are, how complementary to the band they are to support, and that they haven't had a disproportionately large number of gigs so far... Especially after battle of the bands surely you know every local band and could invite the ones who met this sort of criteria to play?

X

I can't seem to do anything right can I...

I KNOW all of the bands in St Andrews, NOT just what they sound like, but also THE PEOPLE IN THEM. Submachine and Bohemond are playing in Perth that night, and seeing members of Elliot's ambition and The Patriot Act were both posting on this thread it seemed like a good way to do it. Elliot's Ambition are excellent (and I really mean that) and are going to be playing with a full band on the night to give them a more "appropriate", as you put it, sound.
MusOffDave

Re:

Postby sweet on Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:49 pm

i said 'complementary' not 'appropriate'.

also you didn't write that you considered anything but the first band that emailed you when choosing support so how, exactly, was i meant to know all that? telepathy?

anyways live music here is lookin better than ever, well done to bonnie and yerself

cheerio
sweet

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:11 pm

[s]sweet wrote on 12:49, 26th Nov 2004:

X

I can't seem to do anything right can I...

I KNOW all of the bands in St Andrews, NOT just what they sound like, but also THE PEOPLE IN THEM. Submachine and Bohemond are playing in Perth that night, and seeing members of Elliot's ambition and The Patriot Act were both posting on this thread it seemed like a good way to do it. Elliot's Ambition are excellent and are going to be playing with a full band on the night to give them a more "appropriate", as you put it, sound.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:12 pm

Here's a question for yehs all - do we have a weird reponse to acts here? More than one nonstudent what I've been to gigs with has commented that we all seem to just stand and stare rather than look like we're enjoying ourselves, do we and is it rude?

no, you're right oli, I've noticed that too ... maybe a consequence of the size of the town and everyone consequently knowing each other and feeling too awkward to just let themselves go...?! Bit of a chronic problem here I think ...

Re:

Postby sweet on Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:36 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 18:41, 26th Nov 2004:

no, you're right oli, I've noticed that too ... maybe a consequence of the size of the town and everyone consequently knowing each other and feeling too awkward to just let themselves go...?! Bit of a chronic problem here I think ...

Hadnae thought of that but yeah you're right i guess you either have to know your company really well or not at all to let go.... or, be verry, verry drunk... if we can't dance to the stonking kt i guess there's no hope!!! ah well we're still appreciating them inside
sweet

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board