Home

TheSinner.net

sorry if this is a retarded question, but...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

sorry if this is a retarded question, but...

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:31 pm

..what exactly is a 'NED'? i hear this term being used alot in the forums but i have no idea what it means. can someone help? cheers.

Re:

Postby lizzie on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:43 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 09:15, 22nd Nov 2004:
..what exactly is a 'NED'? i hear this term being used alot in the forums but i have no idea what it means. can someone help? cheers.

I stands for 'Non educated Delinquent' apparently, although I doubt if most people who use it actually know that!!! So far i've only really heard it used in the west of scotland and here for some reason!!
lizzie

Re:

Postby the Empress on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:49 pm

In Newcastle we call them chauvers. I've only heard NEDs here, and was a bit confused at first as well.
the Empress

Re:

Postby killbill on Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:08 pm

Neds,Schemers,Plebs,Chavs,Chavvies,Charvers,Scum,Scallies,Townies,Pikies,Rude-boys,RifRaf,Jippos,Scrap,Scroats, The Burberry Cappers,The Rockport crew,scuffheads,Kevs,Waynettas,Scallies, Kappa slappers!

...and that just about covers it!
killbill

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:30 pm

Unless I'm mistaken - aren't many of those names actual gangs?

Neds are more a group of socially disenfranchised deliquents who loiter unwholesomely around the streets generally being offensive, troublesome and committing petty crimes while adorned in various brand name clothing.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Raindance on Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:42 pm

[s]lizzie wrote on 19:43, 22nd Nov 2004:

I stands for 'Non educated Delinquent'

For the last time, no it doesn't!!! Ned is an old Glasgow word for criminal. I don't know why that annoys me but it does.

[hr]
You are the human strobe
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby scumdeeforever on Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:58 pm

[s]killbill wrote on 20:08, 22nd Nov 2004:
Neds,Schemers,Plebs,Chavs,Chavvies,Charvers,Scum,Scallies,Townies,Pikies,Rude-boys,RifRaf,Jippos,Scrap,Scroats, The Burberry Cappers,The Rockport crew,scuffheads,Kevs,Waynettas,Scallies, Kappa slappers!

i think you forgot Tinks, Gadgees, and Dundonians...
scumdeeforever

Re:

Postby KayBee on Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:43 pm

[s]scumdeeforever wrote on 20:58, 22nd Nov 2004:
[s]killbill wrote on 20:08, 22nd Nov 2004:[i]

i think you forgot Tinks, Gadgees, and Dundonians...
[/i]

A Gadgee is a central scotland term for a friend - whether nedlike or not and I though "Jippos" and "Tinks" were unpleasant terms for travellers.
KayBee

Re:

Postby JM on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:13 pm

Ok people, coming from the west (home of the neds) let me put it to you simply...

Neds are teens who hang around corners causing trouble, trying to start fights with anyone. They wear brands like burberry, berghaus, caps etc. They always try to act smart infront of their friends and, honestly, can be a bunch of assholes. They normally drop out of school early and spend their weekends getting drunk and, again, starting fights. <- bit wordy but kinda describes the neds.
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Iain on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:26 pm

Gadgie..... small Dingwallian person....
Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:31 pm

Are NEDs the same as what was referred to as "Bams" where I come from in Aberdeen? The two seem to be very similar.
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby Sided Pizza on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:40 pm

[s]Happy-Go-Lucky wrote on 23:31, 22nd Nov 2004:
Are NEDs the same as what was referred to as "Bams" where I come from in Aberdeen? The two seem to be very similar.

Yep - neds are bams, bams are neds
Sided Pizza

Re:

Postby Anon. on Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:17 am

In Cumbria, "gadge" or "gadgie" simply means "bloke".
Anon.

Definition of NED

Postby tylermatts on Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:04 am

If you check the Oxford English dictionary, it clearly states that a NED is anyone who hangs around outside the arcade on Market St. by Tesco.
In all seriousness though, it's obviously just a word that was invented as a word before it "became an abbreviation" if only because no one would start out by defining people as non-educated delinquents and then abbreviating it.
tylermatts

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:15 am

Cant believe nobody has posted this yet ---

here goes, all you ever need to know about neds, how to survuve an encounter with one and other useful tips & tricks, including an online ned encounter training game.
class.

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk

[hr]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:55 pm

[s]Raindance wrote on 20:42, 22nd Nov 2004:
[s]lizzie wrote on 19:43, 22nd Nov 2004:[i]

I stands for 'Non educated Delinquent'

For the last time, no it doesn't!!! Ned is an old Glasgow word for criminal. I don't know why that annoys me but it does.

[hr]
You are the human strobe
[/i]

Maybe the Glasgow criminals you refer to were 'Non Educated Delinquents' as well?

Apparently its origin can be seen in ' ne'r do well ' also
Manic23

Re:

Postby jayaker on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:35 pm

I am not too sure of my english grammar, but shouldn't it be UNeducated delinquent rather than non-educated? Ud doesn't quite have the same ring to it, so maybe the old Glaswegian word did come before the acronym.

Ironic that - by not knowing which it is, I look uneducated. Or non-educated.

[hr]
"They misunderestimated me" Bush, Nov 6, 2000 "I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." Bush
April 3, 2000
"They misunderestimated me" Bush, Nov 6, 2000 "I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." Bush
April 3, 2000
jayaker

Re:

Postby jayaker on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:20 pm

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 09:15, 23rd Nov 2004:
Cant believe nobody has posted this yet ---

here goes, all you ever need to know about neds, how to survuve an encounter with one and other useful tips & tricks, including an online ned encounter training game.
class.

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk

Genius. It has been a long time since I have laughed so hard. The photos are great. Neds made my school life a misery until I learned just to stop and think about what utter muppets they all are. Then I just laughed at them. When I felt I could risk the chances of a chib through the shoulderblades.

[hr]
April 3, 2000
April 3, 2000
jayaker

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:42 am

I went to school in Dundee. We called then 'neds' sometimes, but more often 'gadges', 'gadgies' and - my personal favourite - 'minks'.

Interesting that the Scottish Parliament should have banned mink farming when there aren't any fur farms in Scotland; perhaps this was really the first step in a wider plan of counter-ned eugenics?

[hr]"Fiat justicia ruat colelum (let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Minks

Postby Anon. on Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:26 am

That is truly stonking.
Anon.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board