Home

TheSinner.net

Good grief. What is becoming of today's youth?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Good grief. What is becoming of today's youth?

Postby Happy-Go-Lucky on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:08 am

At risk of sounding like so many old people, what is becoming of today's youth? I know many shocking things happen involving school kids these days, but this just seems especially cruel to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4062895.stm
Happy-Go-Lucky

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:17 am

Of course, the real question is whether or not the legal ramifications for the guilty party are strong enough to represent adequate punishment, or deterrence to those who might consider behaving similarly in future. Comments?

[hr]
"Fiat justicia ruat coelum (let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:22 am

[s]David Bean wrote on 01:17, 3rd Dec 2004:
Of course, the real question is whether or not the legal ramifications for the guilty party are strong enough to represent adequate punishment, or deterrence to those who might consider behaving similarly in future. Comments?

[hr]
"[i]Fiat justicia ruat coelum
(let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
[/i]

Thats the thing - It's a sign of the times when I'm not really all that shocked by how low some people can stoop. Its all part of being a NED - You've got to be the lowest of the low to be "cool". IMO, the sooner this crap ends the better - People can talk about how they're "just like that" or that they're "from a bad background" or other such crap - they purpetraitors are trash, plain and simple.
The sooner our society can erradicate itself of these complete undersireables (I honestly cannot understand why asylum seekers are everybodies' biggest concern - they don't cause crime, the NEDS do) the better.
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby [WSD]-Deus on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:37 am

It sickens me to see such human garbage - domestic or not. I cannot see why this has gone on for so long and why the government or anybody is doing nothing concrete to combat it. I see this as a much bigger threat to society than any consonant the authorities are trying to fight (being Drugs, i.e. something that should be legal, or Terrorism, i.e. something pathetically small).

It's just like in the movie American History X, where Derek Vinyard points out the fact that people are avoiding the problem by saying that it's not crime it's rage & poverty. Societal problems such as this should be dealt with first by the government, as what they're trying to do is make life for society better.

"Bite the kurb."

[hr]<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
<<[WSD] UK PAL Uber Elite>>
<<[WSD] Council>>

IMAGE:www.ibgone.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10023/deus%20-%20best.jpg

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine! - The dead only know one thing, it is better to be alive." - Full Metal Jacket
[WSD]-Deus

Re:

Postby David Bean on Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:44 am

I'm as Conservative as they come, with a capital 'C' and everything, but I have to admit that there are cases when I think society may have something to do with the way in which some people behave. After all, if you've been brought up in an awful environment, by people who just don't care and haven't even the slightest inkling of how to be a proper parent, can we really expect you to turn out any better?

I have to say, it's controversial I know, but I have a lot of sympathy with the (admittedly predominantly left-wing) belief that a lot of one's ability to respect the difference between right and wrong has to do not with innate human tendencies, but sentiment, and how we are brought up. This may lead to a disturbing degree of moral relativism (to which I should ordinarily be opposed), but I can't honestly see a just and reasoned way around it.

That isn't, of course, to say that society shouldn't do its utmost to protect everyone from those who behave as animals - merely that the difference between humans and animals is something that arises from society rather than breeding, and thus we cannot expect everyone to be born with the values we hold to be self-evident.

[hr]"Fiat justicia ruat coelum (let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:37 am

How then, David, do you suggest we solve the problem?

[hr]Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability. And I want you to know we are with you until victory, until Jerusalem.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Akasha on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:38 am

x
Last edited by Akasha on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Akasha

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:53 am

Oooh, lets vote in the conservative Government, what a fine job they did the last time they were in power, like...uhm... closing the mines... or instigating teachers strikes, or... privatising loads of things... or selling council houses. Fantastic.
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:12 pm

We do like talking about the conservatives on this site, don't we?

Reading the story, I thought: How sick is that?

That isn't the sort of thing that you do because you're bored, or frustrated at your social conditions.

That is the sort of thing that you do because you want to set alight the hair of the girl with the tumour.

For me, this story isn't about social issues, or young people these days, poverty or the failure of the government. It's about a 12 year old girl who's been through more heartache in her short life than most people three times her age, and who right now will be sat at home, wondering what she has to do to live a "normal life."

This is just an unremittingly sad story. imagine if that were your daughter.

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:23 pm

Well said Cain, this shouldnt be used as an excuse to start tory-bashing ot liberal-leftie-pinkie bashing.

[hr]* 9 out of 10 cannibals agree;
"vegetarians taste BETTER"
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:34 pm

I read the artice on my usual trwal through the internet news sites. Shocking, it must be said, but what shocked me? The fact that it happened? No, like many I've come to expect this sort of thing in our society. Shocked by what then you might ask. I'm simply shocked by the fact our society managed to degenerate to such a low. Where, as David said, it is 'cool' to be this low. Is it any wonder most students (and hopefully other people) hate neds? My proposal always has been a tough criminal sentance for thos sort of anti-social behaviour. Find who did it, and make them suffer for it.

Also, on a side note, voting conservative, on this issue, which I interpret as a criminal one, Michael Howard is the only home secretary of recent times to have actually reduced crime.

[hr][s]Strangers passing in the street....by chance two seperate glances meet[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Insight on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:54 pm

I know it seems that Yoof Doom is on a rather frightening rise, but could it be that this was just one very very F*cked up child, who could've easily existed 50 years ago? Some people become terribly messed up at a very early age and this guy seems to be one of them - he may well be a Ned, but what came first? The psycho or the Burberry?

I have to wonder if this happens every generation - will the generation we see neddy despair at the rise of whatever horrors are unleashed in 2010?
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby KateBush on Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:50 pm

[s]Odysseus wrote on 01:22, 3rd Dec 2004:
[s]David Bean wrote on 01:17, 3rd Dec 2004:[i]

[hr]
"[i]Fiat justicia ruat coelum
(let justice be done though the heavens may fall)" - Judge James Horton (family motto)
[/i]

Thats the thing - It's a sign of the times when I'm not really all that shocked by how low some people can stoop. Its all part of being a NED - You've got to be the lowest of the low to be "cool". IMO, the sooner this crap ends the better - People can talk about how they're "just like that" or that they're "from a bad background" or other such crap - they purpetraitors are trash, plain and simple.
The sooner our society can erradicate itself of these complete undersireables (I honestly cannot understand why asylum seekers are everybodies' biggest concern - they don't cause crime, the NEDS do) the better.
[/i]

I don't think it's as cut and cried as neds causing trouble. Ok, the girl's hair being set alight is pretty harsh, but I went to a school that's one of the leaders in the league tables, feepaying etc and I encountered shocking attitudes from daughters of politicians, doctors, lawyers and academics...not only were they as bad as neds, in my opinion, they were WORSE than neds because what excuse could they possibly have? They were living affluently, not in poverty or deprivation.

I think we just have to accept the sad truth folks, that some people are good, and some are bad. Doesn't matter where they're from. At St Andrews, the cruellest people I have encountered have been those educated in boarding schools. St Andrews is a perfect example of how 'ned' isn't really an apt term anymore. THe way some of the 'yahish' students behave up here is identical to what would be expected from neds...knocking bins over on hope street, puking all over the pavement, making loads of noise, that type of thing.

I do think that the people responsible for setting that girl's hair alight should be sent for a psychiatric evaluation; there is something very disturbed in an adolescent who could do that. If they are a threat to the community like that, they should be kept away from other people.
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

oh man..

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 pm

..thats just plain, bloody cruel.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board