Home

TheSinner.net

Absolute cunts

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby niallo on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:01 pm

All athololites or ex-atholites are not that bad! Just cos we are all pissheads does not mean that we are bad! Sometimes people just get a little drunk and get the urge to raid macintosh. It happens, as does war. Although I will not be involved in this war I fully support any actions taken by the current crop of atholites. Anyway, I will just continue drinking, stay drunk, go to tutorial. A toast to bevvy is in order...
niallo

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:11 pm

Not to criticise the actions of my J.B.H brothers but is destroying a tree really in the spirit of Christmas?, this is after all the season of giving. At the very least you could have stolen it and given it as a presant to another hall thats more in need of xmas cheer.
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:24 pm

As SRC Accommodation Officer I feel the need to condemn these horrific incidents.

How can destroying trees ever be justified? Halls are people's homes and deserve suitable respect.

I just don't understand the mentality behind these sort of actions. These people don't need punishment they need gunishment. Students shouldn't be having fun, heaven forbid, they should be working their arses off.

Oh yeah & Atholl rules, fuck Chattan.
Midget

sunday bloody sunday my arse

Postby gingerben on Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:31 pm

Yes I can see exactly how a bunch of drunk students trying to have some fun is exactly the same as a religious conflict going back centuries. Don't think you can scare people by quoting an Irishman with a Messiah complex. You all sound like a bunch of babies. Now please get back to doing something usefeul with your life instead of bitching about people just becaue their lives are not as tedious as your own. Pipe down one and all!
gingerben

Chill

Postby Chain Mailer on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:05 pm

Hey! Fair enough the troubles in Ireland aren't exactly the same but don't diss Bono!!!! And why the hell is everyone getting so defencsive and abusive about this thread?!?!
Fair enough it's pretty shitty what's going on in McIntosh but that's no reason to attack people who just have a slight difference of opinion on what they class as fun! Some people might think interhall wars as a bit of fun, only because they don't have such a malicious view on what would happen in those 'wars' (e.g. water bombs instead of all out trashing of common rooms)
Chill peeps :) It's almost christmas!

[hr]
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:18 pm

Count yourself lucky that you live in such a sheltered enviroment that the worst you have to worry about is that a bunch of drunken students might come in the middle of the night and nick your Christmas tree. In Nottingham, they would have stolen your valuables, smashed up your belongings and taken a dump on your floor.
Humphrey

Re:

Postby niallo on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:25 pm

[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 16:05, 13th Dec 2004:
don't diss Bono!!!!

Have to agree there, bono must not be dissed. In other news... still drunk, tutorial was fun, let it continue!
niallo

Re:

Postby Gerald on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:30 pm

To clarify a few things, please.

1.In the spirit of Christmas John Burnet students were released from their Christmas dinner of debauchery on a mission to do some festive tree borrowing. I assure you all that it would have been returned. The incident itself, was not an assault in this apparent 'War'.

2.The tree was not destroyed by JBH students. Might it be made quite clear that in the process of removing the tree from it's base, chattan residents with the assisstance of pool queues assaulted both John Burnet residents and their own tree. Any damage done to their tree was their own fault.

3.Thirdly, as far as i am aware there were many assaults on Chattan that evening. There wasn't a co-ordinated programme drawn up previous to this in which people were assigned with missions. The size of JBH is at around 180students. Does it seem feasible that they would all gather together to discuss any one subject - unlikely. The actions made by any students that evening, were made by the conscious' of those involved.

This is not a War. It was been said also that things happened later in the weekend. That was not by JBH. The actions were merely a sign of some festive behaviour - nothing overly rowdy.
Gerald

Chattan residents get angry (and violent)

Postby Reeksy on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:40 pm

I can verify that the residents of Chattan certainly DID use pool cues to physically assault members of the "JBH Pillage Crew Number 1". For something so trivial, they prodded and poked in places they had no right to, and in the process nearly destroyed their own tree! I admit that we tried to steal the tree, we have been punished accordingly, but any damage done WAS THE FAULT OF CHATTAN RESIDENTS and THEIR SHEER INCOMPETENCE at turf-warfare.

I think JBH residents have a lot more fun.
Reeksy

Re:

Postby Jihad_Ragsta on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:52 pm

John Burnet Hall will never stop acting the way it does because every fresh batch of first years is greeted with tales of quite frankly outrageous past events. Funnily enough this encourages them to attempt to emulate such behaviour. Where else could you find games of strip Jenga (that was horrible, by the way)? I'm afraid good natured hall rivalry gets warped into something like a commando raid, with everybody wielding bevvy and determined to prove that THEIR hall is the best. Incidentally, someone from Macintosh was overheard in the pub claiming their hall was 'the best'. By someone from John Burnet. Doesn't take much does it? ;P

[hr]
Okay! Who greased my wiener?!
[i:297ulvrk]Okay! Who greased my wiener?![/i:297ulvrk]
Jihad_Ragsta

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:52 pm

How did the other pillage crews get on?
Humphrey

merry christmas

Postby gingerben on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:25 pm

Sorry if i seemed a little ruffled. It is indeed the season of good cheer and all that banter so I won't get too worked up anymore. To make a slightly different point, the view of John Burnet held by many students needs to be reassessed. OK, sometimes we do stupid things such as steal trees and assissinate American presidents but there is a cudly friendly side to the Atholl. Anyone living in Hamilton last April will no doubt remember our charming visit during dinner. Everyone there found us most appealing as we serenaded them and made the effort to dress up nicely. ...And poor poor Macintosh. You never do anything bad, do you. How about stealing our toasters and various other things last year? Don't take the moral high ground with me. Merry Christmas once again and chill. It might even stop you talking crap.
gingerben

Screw you guys, I'm going home

Postby alias on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:14 pm

Isn't it cute when McIntosh gets riled up? The truth is that the conflict between our two halls is meant to be fun. Unlike some other posts described, your common room was not completely messed up and your tree was not destroyed. True it might have taken you sometime to put it back together but that should give you all the more reason to try and get us back. But in all honesty McIntosh lacks the social bond that the members of Atholl share and virtually any attempt to retaliate will quickly be thwarted. That being said anytime some McIntosh people wish to walk down the street and have a good time, perhaps leave your protective bubble and meet some new people, you're welcome here at JBH. On that same note, and this goes to all halls, when you see a fellow student in your hall that you might not know, try not to be complete assholes towards them simply because they live in a different hall. We all attend the same university and the more fun that we're able to have as a collective whole, the better off we will all be in the end.
All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie.
alias

Re:

Postby Chaos on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:18 pm

I feel sorry for the residents of Chattan who seem to get picked on far more than they deserve. However, retaliation will not solve the problem, it’ll only make thing worse.

Fun should be had, so long as it isn’t at the expense of other people.
Chaos

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:50 am

I have to say I second Cain on this one. There's nothing wrong with a bit of inter-hall rivalry. There's nothing wrong with the occasional prank. But there are limits. If everyone's laughing in the morning, then it's fine. If it ends up stealing, damaging or destroying property, then those limits have been breached.

The fact of the matter is that if things like this continue to happen, next year there won't be a Christmas tree. The hall committees won't be able to afford any more toasters unless they put up hall subs. The university will have to pay another £30,000 for repairing flood damage. All this means is that for the people not involved - for people who aren't even here yet - they will live in a worse-off, more expensive place.

Having lived in Chattan for four years and had the Christmas tree every year, even helped decorate it, the idea of someone either stealing or damaging it is completely morally reprehensible. By all means have fun; create your own "turf warfare" if you must; but don't take it out on those who don't want to be involved. If you can't find the line between fun and harming people, perhaps you haven't grown up enough to have come here.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:03 pm

[s]Gerald wrote on 16:30, 13th Dec 2004:
2.The tree was not destroyed by JBH students. Might it be made quite clear that in the process of removing the tree from it's base, chattan residents with the assisstance of pool queues assaulted both John Burnet residents and their own tree. Any damage done to their tree was their own fault.

How dare you, my attacks were borne with the utmost precision.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:09 pm

Pitched battle in Hope Park

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:05 pm

[s]Chain Mailer wrote on 16:05, 13th Dec 2004:
Hey! Fair enough the troubles in Ireland aren't exactly the same but don't diss Bono!!!!

on his days off, God pretends to be Bono

[hr]
...Just like Liberace, I will return to haunt you with peculiar piano riffs...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:31 pm

[s]alias wrote on 19:14, 13th Dec 2004:
But in all honesty McIntosh lacks the social bond that the members of Atholl share and virtually any attempt to retaliate will quickly be thwarted.

If this special social bond means picking on other people's Christmas trees then I'm not sure we're missing much. And from my time in Chattan, hall spirit was fine thankyou, we didn't need any attempts on the life of innocent trees to keep us happy.

Edited to correct glaring non use of apostrophe in correct spot.
[hr]

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby spewie on Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:46 pm

[s]Bread Roll wrote on 15:31, 14th Dec 2004:
If this special social bond means picking on other peoples Christmas trees then I'm not sure we're missing much.

This special social bond has nothing to do with picking on other "peoples" [sic] Christmas trees.

Funnily enough, the special social bond mentioned describes the close-knit relationships people in "J"BH form.

"We" invited McIntosh to become part of this relationship and they declined our offer by offering no reply.

Make war not hate...
[s]you can have it all if you want to[/s]
spewie

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board