Home

TheSinner.net

You know what St Andrews really needs...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:58 am

Let's face it, in reality, Beanscene both blows and sucks. It just happens to be better than a lot of the other joints in town;

> better than Costa - it's less pretentious and the coffee doesnt taste artificial
> better than Buzz - it has seats
> better than Java - it isnt so plastic and the coffee isn't made from mud
> better than Janettas - nicer atmosphere

But the music is too loud, the service arrangements are annoying and the coffee is still dissapointing. For anyone wanting a REALLY good coffee, see if you are brave enough to surround yourself with the yellow ambience and all the Granny's in Luvians / Fusaro Brothers next to Subway.

[hr]..Is space hot?... ...Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:32 am

Coffee shops are vastly over-rated. I am rather fond of the Ladyhead Bookshop/Coffee shop, which does a cracking pot of tea, scones, cakes and the suchlike for a knockdown price. It is nice to sit in there, as there is often not so much as a padded gilet or pashmina in there (unless I am wearing them at the weekends). Niiiiiiice.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:38 am

an old fashioned authentic taqueria..... yummmmmmmmmm...... my gringo aproximations of mexican food just don't cut it.

IN my hometown, a new mexican-food restuarant opened up where a place called "the blue marlin" used to be. The kept the name, for whatever reason, but oh my god..... the food...... I gorged myself over break there. And it was so CHEAP. two chicken tacos and rice and beans and homemade chips and salsa was $3.50 . And so filling. Which was a pity because you can only eat three at most of the things. And it wasn't tex-mex either.

arghhhhh why do I torture myself, picturing their lovely menu?
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 10:32, 11th Jan 2005:
Coffee shops are vastly over-rated. I am rather fond of the Ladyhead Bookshop/Coffee shop, which does a cracking pot of tea, scones, cakes and the suchlike for a knockdown price.

i rather think the bibleness of it puts a lot of people off

[hr]
..Is space hot?... ...Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby JAK on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 am

"Bibleness"?

[hr]I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 am

It's run by a bunch of Christians, and so the bookshop is full of religious texts. They don't try to convert you, no-one's making you read scripture and it's extremely good value for money. Why more people don't go is a mystery.
md25

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:44 am

[s]md25 wrote on 11:19, 11th Jan 2005:
It's run by a bunch of Christians, and so the bookshop is full of religious texts. They don't try to convert you, no-one's making you read scripture and it's extremely good value for money. Why more people don't go is a mystery.

like i said, the bibleness puts a lot of people off. I know they aren't trying to convert you, but its all a bit creepy to some non-believers

[hr]
..Is space hot?... ...Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Why do you find it creepy? I'm an unbeliever too, but religious stuff doesn't weird me out...
md25

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:18 pm

it's the thought of being surrounded by all those bibles.

[hr]..Is space hot?... ...Of course it is, where do you think we get pineapples from?...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby JAK on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:26 pm

[s]flarewearer wrote on 12:18, 11th Jan 2005:
it's the thought of being surrounded by all those bibles.

They can't hurt you, you know.

[hr]
I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby Rilla on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:28 pm

[s]JAK wrote on 12:26, 11th Jan 2005:
They can't hurt you, you know.

Please please please please please dont let this turn into a(nother) christian v. non christian thread!

[hr]
Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:35 pm

i agree Rilla.

I also can't understand how people can prefer anything to Janetta's; it is the complete cafe experience.

going there for a study date this afternoon = Dynamic strategic management and ice cream!

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:42 pm

Did anyone ever visit Forrest in edinburgh before it closed? St Andrews needs something along those lines...

flarewearer

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:22 pm

[s]novium wrote on 06:40, 11th Jan 2005:
I'm starting to think twins, seperated at birth type thing.... (fraternal twins, obviously, but still) :)

Well... let's see... I'm a Virgo. Parents are both from Michigan but lived in Utah for several years until I was born. Any possible mystery connections here... ?

[s]novium wrote on 06:43, 11th Jan 2005:
My personal take on beanscene was that it was expensive and sort of preppy. But maybe that was just a bad day to go in.

Northpoint has an excellent hot chocolate and during their happy hour it is only one pound.

Hrm... I'm still going to check it out for myself. I refuse to give up on my hopes and dreams! As for Northpoint, I love it! It's my favorite place to get lunch or tea. However, they aren't open that late... :-(

[s]md25 wrote on 12:04, 11th Jan 2005:
Why do you find it creepy? I'm an unbeliever too, but religious stuff doesn't weird me out...

Hey, I'm a believer and I find it weirds me out a bit. I mean, I come from the Bible Belt back home, and yet somehow rarely feel guilty over things I've done when I'm home. But I can't walk into the Ladyhead without feeling that those sweet little Anglicans that run the place and are always so nice would be very disappointed in me if they really knew me. I go to church guilt free, but not coffeeshops... sometimes my idiocyncracies worry me...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby JAK on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:25 pm

Yeah, that, I could get, but just being surrounded by bibles...

[hr]I got my BBC
I got my BBC
JAK

Re:

Postby Rilla on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 pm

Any coffee shop with comfortable chairs gets my vote.
What St Andrews needs is ... a proper path between town and dra (maybe a travelator type thingy).
and a direct rail link with edinburgh.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:42 pm

[s]LonelyPilgrim wrote on 13:22, 11th Jan 2005:
[s]novium wrote on 06:40, 11th Jan 2005:[i]
I'm starting to think twins, seperated at birth type thing.... (fraternal twins, obviously, but still) :)

Well... let's see... I'm a Virgo. Parents are both from Michigan but lived in Utah for several years until I was born. Any possible mystery connections here... ?

[s]novium wrote on 06:43, 11th Jan 2005:
My personal take on beanscene was that it was expensive and sort of preppy. But maybe that was just a bad day to go in.

Northpoint has an excellent hot chocolate and during their happy hour it is only one pound.

Hrm... I'm still going to check it out for myself. I refuse to give up on my hopes and dreams! As for Northpoint, I love it! It's my favorite place to get lunch or tea. However, they aren't open that late... :-(

[s]md25 wrote on 12:04, 11th Jan 2005:

Hey, I'm a believer and I find it weirds me out a bit. I mean, I come from the Bible Belt back home, and yet somehow rarely feel guilty over things I've done when I'm home. But I can't walk into the Ladyhead without feeling that those sweet little Anglicans that run the place and are always so nice would be very disappointed in me if they really knew me. I go to church guilt free, but not coffeeshops... sometimes my idiocyncracies worry me...
[/i]

Darn. No mysterious connections. Gemini, and i'm from california, and although I do have familial connections to other states, no connection to michigan.

North point SHOULD stay open late. It would be just grand. An alternative to screaming at people over the loud music in the union. And also healthier.

Sometimes I wish I could import a few of my favorite places and set them down in this town. I'm sure they'd be big hits- Cafe Revolution (which was just a thing run by the RAs in one of the lounges.... but cool music, and pool, and poetry readings and free coffee, tea, etc), Golden City chinese food restaurant, Logos, the gigantic used book store, Taqueria Rosita, for its fabulous burritos........
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:43 pm

[s]Rilla wrote on 13:28, 11th Jan 2005:
Any coffee shop with comfortable chairs gets my vote.
What St Andrews needs is ... a proper path between town and dra (maybe a travelator type thingy).
and a direct rail link with edinburgh.

Oh, I agree. I would settle for just a shuttle bus.
novium

St Andrews need a new bus company

Postby Joesta on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:08 pm

My favourite coffee shop is Macgregors - genius mocha, although The Vic does good ones though. Getting back to the subject though, what St Andrews really needs is less of a monopoly in public transportation, Stagecoach are a rip off, not punctual and pretty damn rude (St Andrews branch). Bring back the megabus - even though it's run by Stagecoach.
Joesta

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:18 pm

yes it seems all that privatisation has achieved for transportation here is 1 train company and 1 bus company. So competition goes straight out the window. What we need is a bus war, like they had in edinburgh. I'm just glad it was the fantastic (council owned) LRT that beat FirstEdinburgh, who have got to be one of the worst bus companies in existance.

flarewearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board