Home

TheSinner.net

Lazy Police Target Middle Classes

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Lazy Police Target Middle Classes

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:39 pm

Fantastic isn't it? The police - not content to tax the middle classes stealthily through speed cameras etc. have now avowed to stop the SCOURGE OF OUR SOCIETY!

Is it muggers or rapists or muderers? No. Paedophiles? No. People having cocaine at dinner parties. Fantastic - another own goal for Tony's target-centric administration.

At least, that's what Richard and Judy said and I for one believe them.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:40 pm

Yes there are so many of those middle-class coke parties around, something needs to be done about them.

[hr]...We sing of landscape and memory and the urgency to do it now; in the street and in the fields...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:31 pm

[s]flarewearer wrote on 17:40, 2nd Feb 2005:
Yes there are so many of those middle-class coke parties around, something needs to be done about them.

[hr]...We sing of landscape and memory and the urgency to do it now; in the street and in the fields...

Aye, damn this governemnt for cracking down (no pun intended) on class A drug abuse.

Its just as illegal as some working class person taking it on the street you know.
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby md25 on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:10 pm

How are speed cameras a tax? Don't violate the law, don't pay the fine, nothing taxing about it
md25

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:17 pm

this is the whole problem with Labour's law and order programme. They're trying to create a security/police state like in the US, but without any real targets or justification that can be highlighted to the public, we end up with mission statements like this one.

does anybody think that this "crackdown" in middle-class cocaine use will make a difference to consumption of class A drugs? and why is Labour seeing this as an important problem, when 1 in 50 people in Scotland is either addicted or have been addicted to heroin and are now on methadone?
Irish Frank

Influencing others: What not to do

Postby Joesta on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:41 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 17:39, 2nd Feb 2005:
Fantastic isn't it? The police - not content to tax the middle classes stealthily through speed cameras etc. have now avowed to stop the SCOURGE OF OUR SOCIETY!

Is it muggers or rapists or muderers? No. Paedophiles?

It was here that any strength that Prophet Tenebrae's post could have had, was lost.

This put the final nail in the coffin.
[hr]
Joesta

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:54 am

[s]Joesta wrote on 03:41, 4th Feb 2005:
[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 17:39, 2nd Feb 2005:[i]

Is it muggers or rapists or muderers? No. Paedophiles?

It was here that any strength that Prophet Tenebrae's post could have had, was lost.

This put the final nail in the coffin.
[hr]
[/i]

You seem critical for no reason, please justify and tell us how to influence others.

[hr]
[s]Strangers passing in the street....by chance two seperate glances meet[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:45 am

I totally agree that police should really be going after violent crimes as priority. You may think its harmless buying class A drugs for your own consumption, but your funding organised crime, and they probably have many more business interests than just drugs.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby flossy on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:39 am

I can't wait until I'm middle class enough to do cocaine.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:03 am

[s]Irish Frank wrote on 23:17, 2nd Feb 2005:
this is the whole problem with Labour's law and order programme. They're trying to create a security/police state like in the US, but without any real targets or justification that can be highlighted to the public, we end up with mission statements like this one.

ARghhhhh! Why does everyone seem to drop stupid comments like that in? This is the zillionth idiotic comment I've seen.

Because, let's face it, such comments are stupid and tasteless in the extreme.
I'm sure people who actually lived and suffered under actual police states appreciate their oppression being thus trivialized. Because that's what you're doing, you know.

And for your information, the American view point is that the British are less free, have fewer guaranteed freedoms.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:05 am

[s]flossy wrote on 10:39, 4th Feb 2005:
I can't wait until I'm middle class enough to do cocaine.

i had thought cocaine was an eighties corporate executive type thing.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Midget on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:55 pm

It's the government's fault that buying illegal drugs funds crime, if they were legal then the money would go to the government and drugs would be safer -everyone's happy!

The police though should be tackling the more victimful crime (as oppose to victimless relatively of course, there are no victimless actions let alone crimes).

But the key to plicing is first and foremost to protect from the real threats. Stiffer punishments for drivers who kill.

After all which kills more illegal drugs or drunken drivers????
Midget

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:07 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4246225.stm

i found this quite interesting actually, why does this person deserve jail any less than a poor person doing drugs just because she has a family, good job and an outwardly respectable facade?

flarewearer

Re:

Postby CrisisLoan on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:37 pm

It doesn't matter if a poor person stays in or out of jail, the state still has to support them anyway, even more so in a jail. At least in jail the poor person gets three balanced meals a day and the opportunity to better themselves through the jails gym or library.

At least when the middle class are out of jail they are contributing to society and therefor should be allowed to take anything they want.

C, mon the middle classes unite
CrisisLoan

Re:

Postby Midget on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:45 pm

And its the middle classes who pay most of the taxes (the rich get their accountants to get them out of it).
Midget

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:54 pm

So its' Ok to be respectable and have a drug habit? even if that money they pay for drugs goes to fund organised crime and keep people in 3rd world countries locked in a cycle of poverty?

flarewearer

Re:

Postby HungryDan on Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:25 pm

Labour's nanny state sucks. They are cracking down on magic mushrooms as well so you probably wont be able to buy them fresh anymore - The only type drug that can actually give you an enlightening experince. Meanwile they try and put through 24 hour drinking so we have more heads being smashed in throughout the week.
HungryDan

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:18 pm

[s]Irish Frank wrote on 23:17, 2nd Feb 2005:

Funny, last time I checked we weren't seriously considering national id cards, and we don't have an infestation of camera's in public, and while we do have SOME speed trap cameras... there aren't nearly so many.

Oh, and, for good or ill, we can own handguns. I can't think that any state that allows it's citizens to be so armed could even remotely be a police state. So, how about you come and live in the US for awhile, outside New York please, before you make such statements. Or go live in N. Korea or Cuba... some real police states...

[hr]
I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking. --- Sea Fever, John Masefield
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Prisons should pay their way - bring on hard labour

Postby macgamer on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:05 pm

I think that inmates should pay their way while in prison - i.e. like the Americans do in the South with chain gangs and hard labour. Much better I think than leaving them to rot in their cells.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:34 pm

Indeed, and to lessen the burden on law abiding citizens, criminals should have to pay ALL of the costs that led to their prosecution, and the costs associated with their punishment.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Return to The Sinner's Main Board