Home

TheSinner.net

Advice for drinking in the union

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Advice for drinking in the union

Postby groovy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Ok guys, since SO many people who drink in the union seem to be lacking some sort of common sense, here's a few tips for the next time you happen to be drinking in the union (or anywhere else for that matter:

1) Possibly the most important- PLease please please have your MONEY READY when you come to the bar, you have no idea how annoying it is to sit there and watch you count your pennies out of your purse or wallet.... not only is it very annoying it slows down the service for everyone else.

2) If we've served you and give your change back to you- Please don't order anymore drinks, it's unfair on everyone else. (fair enough if you've forgotten something but a lot of the time we can SEE your friends passing on an order)

3) (possibly unique to the union this one) I know this one was brought up in another thread, but we don't(!) accept credit cards behind the bar.. just use the cash machine on your WAY IN.

4) Never click your fingers at bar staff. It'll take longer for you to get served.

5) Don't shout at bar staff, it'll take you longer to get served.

6) Please don't pay your entire order with 5p's and 2p's. Again, it slows down service for you and everyone else.

7) When it's time to leave, please LEAVE. We typically don't mind people staying til like 1.10am to finish your drinks, but when people arn't leaving til about 20 past the hour, it's starting to take the piss- at this time we're just trying to get to bed.

8) (Possibly a personal thing here) I consider it rude when I'm holding my hand out and instead of handing me your money, you'll put it down on the counter, if you hand me the money- I'll return the favour.

You're perfectly entitled to do anything you want as long as it's not breaking the law, but please just be a little more considerate and more polite.

Thanks!

P.S. the majority of people are FINE, this goes out to the annoying minority.
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

:P

Postby i_eat_pants on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:53 pm

man u have way too much spare time.... and quit with the whining :P
i_eat_pants

Re:

Postby Wong on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:58 pm

It seems more like asking people to have a bit of common sense rather than whining to me.

[hr]No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby legohead on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:10 pm

gah, I hate when you put your hand out for money and people put it down on the counter. when I worked in shops it used to drive me demented. its so rude, like you are a leper to them. grr!

ok, rant over.

[hr]This is for all those headless acrobats
faces crushed in the circus dust
all in the name of gravity
and the price of admission
This is for all those headless acrobats
faces crushed in the circus dust
all in the name of gravity
and the price of admission
legohead

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:13 pm

[s]groovy wrote on 13:26, 9th Feb 2005:
7) When it's time to leave, please LEAVE. We typically don't mind people staying til like 1.10am to finish your drinks, but when people arn't leaving til about 20 past the hour, it's starting to take the piss- at this time we're just trying to get to bed.

I think you'll find it a condition of the Union's liqour license that it must allow 15 minutes "drinking up" time after the bar closes, making people leave before 1:15am without some good reason (i.e. a fire) is breaking the law, I don't care about your bedtime, and if you do, get a different job.

[hr]
Live by the sword, die by the arrow.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby groovy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:18 pm

We're allowed to remove your drink at 1.10am. Many of the staff are are too intimidated to do this or simply too polite.

Sometimes we can't get the place cleared til 1.30am, it's taking the piss.

edit: and as for drinking up time, we could have made it 12.45, we'd like to see a little consideration returned, like I said, we don't mind you staying for your drinking up time til 1.15 or whatever, it's when people DON'T LEAVE after this time has expired that gets me.
groovy

Re:

Postby Raindance on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:35 pm

4) Never click your fingers at bar staff. It'll take longer for you to get served.

5) Don't shout at bar staff, it'll take you longer to get served.

8) (Possibly a personal thing here) I consider it rude when I'm holding my hand out and instead of handing me your money, you'll put it down on the counter, if you hand me the money- I'll return the favour.

Of all the above points these are the three that get to me too. Especially number 8. Usually because the money always finds it's way into a puddle of beer or something. So bear in mind, if I have to pick your money off the counter, you will be picking your change up off it too. If you clicked your fingers and/or shouted you'll be picking it up off the floor.

I'm so petty! Good thing I'm quitting I guess...

[hr]
Where I'm from is not who I am
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby Bread Roll on Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:45 pm

Oh I did that the other day but not in the Union and purely out of spite for the woman serving me because she doesn't like me and so obviously the best way to combat this is to make her like me even less..... But I promise never to do it in the Union because I hate getting it done to me.
Bread Roll

Re:

Postby Rachy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:07 pm

[s]groovy wrote on 13:26, 9th Feb 2005:[i]

Although I don't work in a bar I am in total agreement here, its just so rude, though whats worse is when someone throws money at you! A guy once threw a pound coin at me which hurts more than you'd think, because he didn't get the price he wanted on a horse or something stupid like that. Naturally I gave him the best customer service back by 'missing' the counter when handing him back his change and then refused to serve him again.
Rachy

Re:

Postby Si on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:15 pm

I work in a bar when I am at home and I will refuse to serve anyone who clicks their fingers to get my attention.

It's about the rudest thing you can do in my opinion.
Si

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:25 pm

I worked in a very busy bar all last Summer and was amazed by how rude punters could be.

I must admit the leaving the change on the counter didn't bother me as much behind the bar as it has done when I've done shop work, but it's still rude.

The worst thing is when you get loudmouths pushing their way to the front of the bar demanding to be served, then getting all irate because you rightly serve whoever was before them. However, there were times when customers were six or seven people deep at our bar (which was easily three or four times the size of the union's) and I would lose my rag at some of them and refuse to serve them. It's amazing how much respect you get from some people when they realise you are, after all, in charge of getting them their drinks. :D
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:28 pm

As Tweedle-Dum said, drinking up time is fixed at 15 minutes past the end of permitted hours. That is, permitted by the licence and not what time the bar staff think should be given. Any failure to comply with that IS breaking the law.

That said, most of what was written was sensible and fair. Although it might be an idea for bar staff to serve the people who have been waiting the longest first and not to adopt the policy - as seems to be the way in many bars - of serving their friends first. Oh and keeping an eye on people pushing in would be a good idea as well.

[hr]Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Al

Re:

Postby CrisisLoan on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:54 pm

who was the terminator bouncer on last night. Some guy was trying to get inside the side door and he came running down and shouted "step away from the door". Absolute nutter.
CrisisLoan

Re:

Postby benedict on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:37 pm

'8) (Possibly a personal thing here) I consider it rude when I'm holding my hand out and instead of handing me your money, you'll put it down on the counter, if you hand me the money- I'll return the favour.'

Don't be too quick to judge on this one. Have you ever considered that maybe someone is perhaps simply being over-polite? Maybe they don't consider you to be the 'leper' but rather they may think you may consider them to be a 'leper' & so they put the money on the counter so that you don't have to make contact with their hands, rather than thinking of it the other way round.

Apologies for unjust use of the word leper in a negative fashion.
benedict

Re:

Postby groovy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:40 pm

[s]benedict wrote on 16:37, 9th Feb 2005:

Don't be too quick to judge on this one. Have you ever considered that maybe someone is perhaps simply being over-polite? Maybe they don't consider you to be the 'leper' but rather they may think you may consider them to be a 'leper' & so they put the money on the counter so that you don't have to make contact with their hands, rather than thinking of it the other way round.

Apologies for unjust use of the word leper in a negative fashion.

You are taking the piss, right?
groovy

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:45 pm

1) Possibly the most important- PLease please please have your MONEY READY when you come to the bar, you have no idea how annoying it is to sit there and watch you count your pennies out of your purse or wallet.... not only is it very annoying it slows down the service for everyone else.

You know its not always possible to know how much the drinks are going to cost in advance. Sure there are signs but when it gets really busy its impossible to read them. As for knowing from experience; unless you're buying the same drink over and over again, its impossible.

[hr]
And the last one out of the circus has to lock up everything,
Or the elephants will get out and forget you.
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Re:

Postby groovy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:48 pm

[s]oddly familiar wrote on 16:45, 9th Feb 2005:

You know its not always possible to know how much the drinks are going to cost in advance. Sure there are signs but when it gets really busy its impossible to read them. As for knowing from experience; unless you're buying the same drink over and over again, its impossible.

Then why don't you simply have MORE money than you think it might possibly be so as to not piss everybody else beside you that wants to get served and the member of staff serving you. Even if you have your purse ready and open or whatever that's fine, but most people rake through their bag to find their purse, then rake through their purse to find the money, count it all up and decide they don't have enough change so they hand you a tenner!!!

It's not necessary!
groovy

Re:

Postby hopie on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"
its a service industry and you are paid to do just that, provide a service, if you dont like it then quit I doubt anybody thinks their job is easy but you have to put that against the pros of the job

[hr]Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
hopie

Re:

Postby groovy on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Just because we are serving you, it does not give the punter the right to act like an asshole, we're people after all too.
groovy

Re:

Postby johness on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 pm

hopie, obviously you have never worked in the service industry. I waitered for several years and it never ceased to astound me the attitude some people have towards waiters and barstaff. Until you have pulled off three split shifts in a row, been paid peanuts for the pleasure and dealt with incredibly rude customers then pipe down.

The small things are the worst, like the money on the counter, or not saying a simple please or thank you. Manners don't cost a penny.

customer is alwawys right? like pap they are.
[hr][s] ...but I will bend the light, always pretending that it somehow lingered on...[/s]
[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
johness

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board