Home

TheSinner.net

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby lucy on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:52 am

Am not a "retardo" thanks, everyone entitled to add their bit, anyway my message was delayed before was put on as am unregistered, and i still stand by what i put as that is the general attitude of the Scots.
lucy

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:15 am

[s]Mr_Big_Dave wrote on 19:55, 28th Feb 2005:
[s]flarewearer wrote on 18:57, 28th Feb 2005:[i]

What is wrong with waving a union jack? Is Scotland not part of great britain!?

Have you ever seen Rangers fans in action? In the absence of a British football team, Union Jacks in football stadiums mean only one thing - bigotry.

Man I despise the old firm.
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 am

[s]Rob Hearn wrote on 13:02, 28th Feb 2005:
By a similar token, when I saw Scots football fans wearing Argentina shirts prior to the England-Argentina game in 2002, I came to the conclusion that Scotland is a perennially embittered little shitwipe of a country. All of this sporting rivalry and Scottish delight in English failure seems to derive directly from the comments of English football commentators. Well, I agree - English commentators are often wankers, and I was frankly embarrassed by the reaction in England to the rugby world cup. However, English sports fans would be unlikely to go to the lengths that the Scots go to to celebrate the failures of another country. Even in the eyes of my Irish friends, the attitude frequently evident in Scotland towards England is astonishingly pathetic.

.. but not as pathetic as, when in the union both watching and supporting England winning the rugby world cup, listening to the room erupt in anti celt then paticularly scottish songs.

I was up especially early to go the union to support england and instead of celebrating their win the english fans decided to sing songs which had nothing to do with the game.

Please don't bother to reply saying that this was not all fans Rob, if you feel able to paint the scots with a single brush I feel obliged to do the same for the english. There is hatred on both sides of the border and to believe otherwise is wholey nieve.

PS, no one hates the english ore than the Welsh anyway :P

[hr]
I have made my site work again, so feel free to have a look.

My website:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ag56/
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:10 am

[s]munchingfoo wrote on 09:22, 1st Mar 2005:
[s]Rob Hearn wrote on 13:02, 28th Feb 2005:[i]
By a similar token, when I saw Scots football fans wearing Argentina shirts prior to the England-Argentina game in 2002, I came to the conclusion that Scotland is a perennially embittered little shitwipe of a country.

If you don't like it here, then leave, folk like you aren't welcome anyway.

It's called RIVALRY you sad arsehole. I'm another one who is proud to support Scotland and whoever England are playing because of arrogant nonce-sense spewed out by the Sassenach media every time a major competition comes along.

Ohhh Diego Maradona...

[hr]
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Walk into the bright lights of sorrow, oh drink a bit of wine and we both might go tommorow, my love...
Odysseus

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:13 pm

[s]Mr_Big_Dave wrote on 19:55, 28th Feb 2005:
What is wrong with waving a union jack? Is Scotland not part of great britain!?

Yes it is, but you know the one and only reason they are taken to Old Firm matches is to stir up the ridiculous sectarian hatred between the (hardcore minority of) Rangers and Celtic fans; both of whom need taken out and given a damn good history lesson so they realised how retardedly stupid they really are (shooting is too good for some people, and scum generally hate learning stuff, so that is a better punishment.)

I have no problem with the Union Jack b.t.w. incase you were wondering, I think its a rather fetching flag with a lot of historical importance and significnace.

[hr]
[s]Have you ever wondered how you get triangles from a cow?
You need butter, milk and cheese, and an equilateral chainsaw.[/s]
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Big X on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:31 pm

[s]Bitterandtwisted wrote on 18:40, 28th Feb 2005:
Why should we support one another? Because we're close neigbours? I live closer to Ireland than England so I could use that as my excuse for cheering them on. But I won't. Everyone hates their neigbours. Especialy the ones they can't keep up with. A Londoner lives closer to France or Germany than Scotland but I've never heard of one cheering for the continentals.

[hr]How many boards
Would the Mongols hoard,
If the Mongol Hordes
Got bored?

I'm totally bored of the way some Scottish people INSIST on supporting anykind of anti English activity. prime example is the way loads of Scottish footy fans have been voting to get the bridge at the new Wembley Stadium IN LONDON to be called the Jim Baxter Bridge. Baxter was a Rangers player who scored against England in 1967, apparently 'Slim Jim' was a legend. In Scotland, no doubt, in England, unlikely. I highly doubt you would see the same willingness of English society if the situation was reversed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4304259.stm
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby Jamie McMorrin on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:58 pm

[s]flarewearer wrote on 16:13, 1st Mar 2005:
the one and only reason they are taken to Old Firm matches is to stir up ridiculous sectarian hatred...
[/i]

Exactly right- the fans who sing 'Rule Britannia' and wave the Union Jack at Ibrox on Saturdays are just as guilty of anti-English feelings as the next man. I recall a few years ago, for example, the Scotland-England game at Hampden, where the visitors were greeted by booing and jeering by fans from both sides of the Old Firm divide. Retarded indeed. But while waving the British flag is defensible, what, pray, is the relevance of waving the flag of Ulster at Old Firm games?
Jamie McMorrin

Re:

Postby Odysseus on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:48 pm

[s]Bitterandtwisted wrote on 18:40, 28th Feb 2005:
A Londoner lives closer to France or Germany than Scotland but I've never heard of one cheering for the continentals.

Aye, but France and Germany have never raped and pillaged our towns.
People are simply going to have to deal with this as a fact of life rather than go around like the limp-wristed cretins who don't know anything about COMPETATIVE sports.
England are our historical rivals, therefore it is NATURAL for us to take joy from their defeat. It is the same with Portugal and Spain, Argentina and Brazil, and all around the world. Anyone who gives me the 'We're all British arguement' can piss off because they clearly don't understand the nature of this argument anyway.

I'd be delighted if Baxter won the vote for the Wembley bridge, after all, they asked for nominations for famous Footballing moments, not English footballing moments.

[hr]
Odysseus

Re:

Postby Eddie Baby on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:20 am

[s]bramble wrote on 23:41, 27th Feb 2005:

Oh and a little note to Eddie Baby - do you call all women mate and tell them to fuck off? You rude person! Everone is entitled to their opinion you know, you can express yourself without getting nasty about it

[hr]

I quite commonly call women mate, as they are perfectly entitled to be my mate, and don't care what sex someone is if i tell them to fuck off. Equal opportunities and all that...

Get a grip and quit your whinging.

Thats my opinion, to which I am entitled.
xxx
Eddie Baby

Re:

Postby Eddie Baby on Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:35 am

So why SHOULD we support England?

Why SHOULDN'T we?!

We've always been rivals, and long may that continue! Yeah, we're jealous that we don't win world cups, etc. But when another team gets one over on our biggest rivals, wow it feels good. You don't see Dundee United fans turning out to support Dundee in the cup, so why should Scotland fans turn around and follow England when they play? I'd rather be French........
Eddie Baby

Re:

Postby bramble on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:58 am

[s]Eddie Baby wrote on 01:20, 2nd Mar 2005:
[s]bramble wrote on 23:41, 27th Feb 2005:[i]

Oh and a little note to Eddie Baby - do you call all women mate and tell them to fuck off? You rude person! Everone is entitled to their opinion you know, you can express yourself without getting nasty about it

[hr]

I quite commonly call women mate, as they are perfectly entitled to be my mate, and don't care what sex someone is if i tell them to fuck off. Equal opportunities and all that...

Get a grip and quit your whinging.

Thats my opinion, to which I am entitled.
xxx
[/i]

I am also entitled to my opinion and i think youre a rude idiot. If you'd have taken the time to actually READ my posts you would see that im not whinging at all. Ive merely stated facts and my opinion. At no point did i whine.

[hr]
And so it is
Just like you said it would be
We'll both forget the breeze
Most of the time
I can't take my eyes off of you
I just can't take my eyes off of you
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby Rob Hearn on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:09 pm

I'm not going to respond to individuals, but make some general remarks. Some people seem to think it's okay for there to be animosity between England and Scotland because in previous centuries there have been wars, human rights violations, and so on. This is utter crap. To paraphrase Dawkins, the tendency to carry vendetta across generations is one of the two major diseases of the human mind. The other, I think, is to generalise across nations.

Many English people are of course responsible for exactly the same kind of behaviour. As I said, the self-satisfied mood in England after the world cup was appalling. I hate that people take credit for sporting victories despite contributing nothing towards it and gleaning no material benefits. None of the twats who stood cheering that obscene parade in london had any right to take pride in the achievements of the wholly seperate men sitting on the bus. I dislike cheering at national sports in any form. The negative, cheering at the opponents of a different country's team kind of behaviour is just worse, whomever it is perpetrating the act, Scottish, English, Irish, or Venutian.

Nevertheless, I think the problem is worse is Scotland than in England. I'm not going to dig up statistics, but that's my intuition. There's quite simply more and bitterer animosity travelling from Scotland towards England than in the reverse direction, and more of a general sense that it's okay to feel that way.

As I said, it's terrible to generalise across nations. What this means in practice is that there's no reason to think that just because you're Scottish I'm talking about you. I'm Scottish, and I'm certainly not talking about me. I'm talking about the guy who started the thread, and all of those who have subsequently argued that there's some justification for Scots to cheer on England's rivals at every opportunity.
"I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of. And the things I am proud of, are disgusting."
Rob Hearn

Re:

Postby Ga on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:39 pm

[s]Rob Hearn wrote on 15:09, 2nd Mar 2005:
I'm talking about the guy who started the thread, and all of those who have subsequently argued that there's some justification for Scots to cheer on England's rivals at every opportunity.

Rob... I get the feeling that you aren't exactly the life and soul of the party.

Yes, I know to generalise is "bad".

Yes, I know people are different and that 60 million people aren't going to all be the same.

Yes, I know to hold a grudge isn't a very good thing.

Yes, I know I should really be doing more work on my course than posting on the sinner.

Yes, I know I should get more exercise.

Yes, I know I should eat more healthily.

Yes, I know that I should really not go to the pub every other day.

Yes, I know that I should get out more.

Yes, I know I should stop playing computer games and do something more productive.

Yes, I know I need a summer job.

Yes, I know I should stop telling bad jokes.

Yes, I know I should tidy my room.

Yes, I know I should go down and do the washing up.

Yes, I know I should sort out my accounts.

And yet I don't do these things I should be going?!?!!?

Why?

Because I want a little fun in my miserable existence!

And that is all this Scotland England thing is. Fun. Hahaha. Funny.
It is almost as if you can't handle people having a little fun.

[hr]
If everything in life had a point, life would be pointless
If everything in life had a point, life would be pointless
Ga

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:44 pm

National rivalries add an extra dimension of fun to international sport, where would the six nations be without it?. Plus what’s wrong with cheering on national sides or celebrating when we finally win something. The great thing about sport is that it can stir such strong emotions and heated debate among its fans. For me the best games in sport are the ones where there is a history of rivalry between the teams, where great moments can be recalled and animosities brought to the surface. A football game without this is just a football game, add centuries of conflict, hatred and mutual dislike and it becomes more of a spectacle.

[hr]http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Rob Hearn on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:54 pm

On the contrary. I love fun. I found calling Scotland a 'shitwipe' fun. I find annoying people who do things that I don't think are fun fun. This is an antagonistic streak in me that I'd probably be doing a better job of suppressing if I weren't bored out of my fucking head at work.
"I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of. And the things I am proud of, are disgusting."
Rob Hearn

Re:

Postby themushroomgod on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:49 pm

Let us not forget that perrenial occurance, the England/Britain confusion syndrome. I speak of the way that, in such Olympic - esque events in which England, N Ireland, Scotland and Wales enter seperate teams, BBC commentators forget the existence of countries other than England. If an English team win, it's all "a heroic victory for the English," but any of the other three it's always "a victory for the British team!"

wtf? Do they really feel the need to deny a non - English yet British victory that much?

[hr]Ooh! A Monkey!
Ooh! A Monkey!
themushroomgod

Re:

Postby niall on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:02 pm

[s]themushroomgod wrote on 17:49, 2nd Mar 2005:
Let us not forget that perrenial occurance, the England/Britain confusion syndrome. I speak of the way that, in such Olympic - esque events in which England, N Ireland, Scotland and Wales enter seperate teams, BBC commentators forget the existence of countries other than England. If an English team win, it's all "a heroic victory for the English," but any of the other three it's always "a victory for the British team!"

wtf? Do they really feel the need to deny a non - English yet British victory that much?

[hr]Ooh! A Monkey!

clasic example was Alain baxter who won a bronze medal at the winter olympics (the same one as the "british" curling team won gold), he was british when he won the medal, but scottish when he was stripped of it
niall

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:30 pm

The man sitting next to me at the rugby on saturday was english, but was dressed italian and had even printed the Italian national anthem off the internet and made an attempt to sing it. I asked him why and he told me he was going to all the games to support the non-scots.

I don't agree with scots supporting any non-english team, I'm just pointing out it's not only the scots that do it.

[hr]Splat!
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Buffy on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:29 pm

random bump
Buffy

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board