Home

TheSinner.net

Can someone please answer this for me....

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Can someone please answer this for me....

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Hey hey....I'm going to be a freshman at St. A's this Sept. and I was looking at the term dates when I saw "reading week." What exactly is reading week. Also...revision period....do teachers review with you, or is it something that one does on their own. Thanks I really do appreciate getting this all figured out.
Anonymous

answers

Postby LG on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Hi

In reading week lots of people go home for a week, but lots also stay in St Andrews. Not a lot of people (well freshers anyway) do a lot of reading in reading week. It is a good time to chill out and spend time with your new found friends. As for revision week most tutors and lecturers are on hand to answer any questions (they have 'office hours' when you can go and see them. Some subjects such as geography run a revision lecture when the lecturers take questions for an hour on all aspects of the course. Most revision though is done individually with the help of reading lists and the library!!

Hope this helps
:-)
LG

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Should just mention that 'reading week' is called that because officially you are supposed to use it to review your courses and read over your stuff.

As for lecturers helping with revision, most are nice and helpful and will arranged revision lectures if enough people want one. And tutors are always around to answer specific questions for you, though the emphasis is on individual learning. People will be much happier to help you out if they can see that you're trying to help yourself too.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby kensson on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

I'd always used it to go and visit Farwall's brother in Reading. Now I realise my foolishness.

When exactly is it this year? They keep the calendar secret from postgrads.
kensson

Re:

Postby monkeymadness on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Yes, they hide it well, you have to be very clever, go to the st-and webpage and then via the quick link option click on session dates and 2002-2003

I can understand how you'd have a problem with that.
monkeymadness

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

It's true, kensson, most people do use it for that purpose but I don't think that was the university's original intention behind the week off.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby kensson on Mon Jan 01, 1990 12:00 pm

Odd, I'd never noticed the entire St. Andrews student population descending on Phil's flat (which is barely big enough for one guest.) But hey.

And yes, monkeymadness, burying things shallow in the uni website counts as 'secret'. I use it in the sense of 'no-one sends me a bit of paper with it on these days. I'm far too lazy to do anything more energetic than ask the world in general from time to time.
kensson

Return to The Sinner's Main Board