Home

TheSinner.net

Break-in & theft :'(

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Break-in & theft :'(

Postby Clairety86 on Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:41 pm

I'm a first year living in Regs, & have to say that so far I've loved every minute of St Andys.

Apart from on Saturday night/early Sunday morning that is, when my car (parked just opposite Regs on Queen's Terrace...) got broken into by some nobhead who then nicked my viola out the back. I'd been out & got back around 1.15am (at which point everything was fine & dandy), but upon going out to the car at about half 11 on Sunday morning, found lots of glass everywhere & no precious/expensive/beloved viola. I'm really, totally gutted & have been doing everything over the past 2 days to try & track it down, & I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone was around in town between 1.15am & dawn kinda time, that might have seen anything a bit suss (ie. a total ned carrying a big black rectangular viola case...) I know it's unlikely anyone saw anything/can remember seeing anything, but I'd really appreciate any info at all as I'm pretty damn miserable about the whole thing. Thanx.
Clairety86

Re:

Postby kezziecats on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Obviously its really bad that it was stolen, and I feel sorry for you, but why did you leave something so expensive and obvious in your car?
Saying that I hope you find it.
kezziecats

Re:

Postby Peter Piper on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:10 pm

[s]kezziecats wrote on 22:02, 22nd Mar 2005:
Obviously its really bad that it was stolen, and I feel sorry for you, but why did you leave something so expensive and obvious in your car?
Saying that I hope you find it.

Sorry but I don't think that's very helpful at all, she obviously wrote here for advice and that's clearly going to make her feel worse. It could've been a day when she was forgetful or something. I see that a lot on The Sinner, and although it's free speech, I think it's just being unhelpful and sure to cause tension.

And to the robbed: really hope it turns out OK in the end, try to think positive.
Peter Piper

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:00 pm

Yeah, sorry, I can't be of any help either, bit I do hope you manage to get it back. I agree that the first reply really wasn't helpful, and I wouldn't blame yourself at all for its theft - all of us leave things in our cars without the first thought that it might be stolen.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:02 pm

Was the viola in the boot, or was it on show. If it was hidden it might suggest whoever did it knew it was going to be in the car. However if it was on show I guess it was just an opportunistic thing. Hope you find it!
box_of_delights

Re:

Postby flossy on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:54 pm

I think the police will be looking for it in this way too, but keep an eye out in local shops (here and Dundee) for 2nd hand violas, ebay from local area etc. Hopefully yours has something distinctive which will enable you to prove ownership should it come on the market.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby kezziecats on Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:15 am

I didn't say that she should blame herself for the theft, and I am sorry that it was stolen. Sorry if it came across wrong.
kezziecats

Re:

Postby Your Mom on Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:38 am

Don't feel sorry kezziecats, Peter Piper was just being an audible cunt and trying to stir up trouble on what was and luckily continued after his post as a call for help thread.
There was no point in turning back, fuck no thank you kindly.
-Raoul Duke
Your Mom

Postby ever_nocturnal on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:07 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:15 am

I doubt the police in St. Andrews could catch a cold. Better fill in the insurance claim now and yes, leaving valuables in your car - stupid.

Sympathy isn't deserved by anyone.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Insight on Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:34 am

I know that all my possesions, while at am uni, are covered by by parents' home and car insurance - maybe check out the ins and outs of those legalities...I have no legal knowledge at all, but may be useful for you?
Former SRC Member for Sexualities & Gender
Current Dumbfounded fool of Hospital-Land
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101378
Insight

Re:

Postby Clairety86 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:11 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 03:15, 23rd Mar 2005:
I doubt the police in St. Andrews could catch a cold. Better fill in the insurance claim now and yes, leaving valuables in your car - stupid.

Sympathy isn't deserved by anyone.

Thanks very much for the positive response 'prophet tenebrae' - I thought I'd get about that much help from people like yourself who evidently hang around on here all day & won't have enough of a life to have been out on Saturday. The viola was well out of sight, the car was in view of Regs, & it's the general status quo around here that instrument cases just don't get nicked from cars. This was my first and rather distressed attempt at sinner-usage but the whole thing's just a waste of time with arsehole's like you trying to cause aggro with people you'll never meet.
Clairety86

Re:

Postby Peter Piper on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:37 am

"Your Mom", I think it is you who is trying to stir up trouble. If I had been the original poster I would have been a bit pissed off with that other response and was simply expressing that opinion in case the actual poster felt the same, I was trying to help. I, however, did not have to result to childish swearing in order to get a simple point across. Anyway, let's just leave it at that and let the thread get back to what it is, an advice thread.

To use a "mom" style cliché: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
Peter Piper

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:45 am

At least they didnt take your car... And anyway, the viola was insure yes? Regs seems to be a right little crime hotspot, when I was there the entire annexe got doneover at easter, as did G floor...

[hr][s]Have you ever wondered how you get triangles from a cow?
You need butter, milk and cheese, and an equilateral chainsaw.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Vandalism on queens gardens

Postby mrkev on Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:30 am

What you really need to do is go along on mass and see the local Councillor and ask that a cctv point be put in at the end of queens gardens I have noticed that there has been a lot of vandalism around that area over the last few weeks.

Its usually organised gangs from out of town who go round taking (mostly golf clubs) out of cars.

next council sugery is

Surgery - Cllr JA Liston
04/04/2005
18:30
30 mins

St Andrews Town Hall Queens Gardens
St Andrews Town Hall
St Andrews
KY16 9TA
mrkev

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:43 pm

hmmm, I've heard of some other crimes that ewre committed around that area on that night by some "youths".
I see a pattern forming here.

Let's not take this sh!t
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 am

All i see in this thread is what i normally see on a lot of threads on the sinner. Someone asking for advice, someone then trys to be cocky (Tenebrae) and then looks like an arsehole, some one then tries to calm everyone down, then they get slagged. Its like bloody primary school. Grow up for fucks sake

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:31 am

Quoting from 10:48, 23rd Mar 2005
All i see in this thread is what i normally see on a lot of threads on the sinner. Someone asking for advice, someone then trys to be cocky (Tenebrae) and then looks like an arsehole, some one then tries to calm everyone down, then they get slagged. Its like bloody primary school. Grow up for fucks sake

Stop complaning and fuck off.

[hr]

[s]Alone at night, I feel so strange, I need to find all the answers to my dreams[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Postby ever_nocturnal on Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:52 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:09 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 10:48, 23rd Mar 2005:

IMAGE:home.swiftdsl.com.au/~raza/roomofcare.jpg

[hr]
[s]Have you ever wondered how you get triangles from a cow?
You need butter, milk and cheese, and an equilateral chainsaw.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board