Home

TheSinner.net

Bop

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bop

Postby NeilSJFC1884 on Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:34 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else was disappointed with the bop last night. The music wasnt very "boppish" and he tended to resort to hip-hop every other song. I requested "road to amarillo" which was complete ignored by the dj (who blatenly didnt like us). When we complained we were just fobbed off. I had a friend who had come back to visit comment that it was possbly the worst hes been to. Get it sorted.
Don't tick the void box. Yeah its labeled "Conservative" this year....
NeilSJFC1884

Re:

Postby joker on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:27 pm

having listened to "road to amarillo" four times in my flat today (sober and with dancing) i commend your excellent musical tastes.

sadly, i feel the bop (sorry IGNITE) is unsalvagable at present. until the union wakes up and realises that having the only 'club' in town isn't an excuse for complacency we probably wont see a change for the better.

getting pissed and dancing is awesome but the only time i'll venture inside the sweaty confines of the bop is when there are no decent house parties and not enough pennies for a taxi to dundee union... when i grow up i want to live in dundee union. it has everything i want from life - and so much more

[hr][s]fly like a mouse, run like a cushion, be the small bookcase, dare to believe.[/s]
[s]fly like a mouse, run like a cushion, be the small bookcase, dare to believe.[/s]
joker

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:03 pm

And don't forget, if you're crazy enough you can stagger from the Dundee Union to the Dundee all night bakery.

Although obviously the fatality rate is about 90% for that kind of death run.

Needless to say, yes the bop is shit but people get drunk and don't care - so the Union (as usual) will remain complacent and standards will continue to slide.

Sad to think that but 2 years ago, the Friday night Bop was an actual event! Not just something that one might drunkenly stagger into or do to be ironic.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Peter Piper on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:05 pm

[s]joker wrote on 19:27, 26th Mar 2005:
getting pissed and dancing is awesome but the only time i'll venture inside the sweaty confines of the bop is when there are no decent house parties and not enough pennies for a taxi to dundee union... when i grow up i want to live in dundee union. it has everything i want from life - and so much more

Is Dundee Union better or worse since it changed?
Peter Piper

Re:

Postby joker on Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:14 pm

5 floors, one club, one club-esque bar thingy, two other bars, lots of booths & comfy sofas, pool tables as far as the eye can see, burger bar/baked potato style eatery open when the union is. drinks also cheaper than st a's (which makes up for the taxi fare). quite frankly it is AMAZING!

first time i went edith bowman dj-ed so i was sold. maybe i should just move there and stop complaining about our union when the association will never have enough money to make real improvements.

[hr][s]fly like a mouse, run like a cushion, be the small bookcase, dare to believe.[/s]
[s]fly like a mouse, run like a cushion, be the small bookcase, dare to believe.[/s]
joker

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:02 am

http://www.honda.co.uk/change/

maybe those with such vehement opinions could figure a way to apply the same principle to the bop?
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby niall on Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:23 am

strathclyde union > dundee union

but if you want to voice your opinion on the bop, then mosy on down to http://ents.rawxing.org

unfortunaely it doesnt work atm, but it should in a few days!
niall

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:42 am

QMU > Strathclyde > Dundee > St Andrews

Strathclyde is for neds and goths.
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Ashley on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:21 am

The Bop was awful last Friday. I paid £3.50 to sit in the beer bar all night. Please, please, not another one such.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:58 pm

[s]light the rag wrote on 16:25, 27th Mar 2005:
How would you improve it?

It's all very well complaining that it's rubbish, but if you don't tell the union folk how to fix it, they won't know!

they can release napalm over the crowd that would liven things up!
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby md25 on Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:00 pm

The Bop, sorry, Ignite is about one tenth as much fun as it was back in the day. The main problem is the music - it's shite. I don't care how cool or relevant or street or whatever it is, it's terrible. I can live with, nay, enjoy the pretentious atmosphere and packs of preened prats but the atrocious "beats" suck all the fun out of what was once the highlight of my week.
md25

Re:

Postby littleblackraincloud on Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:04 pm

Well what kind of music would everyone prefer at the bop?
Coz you can practically guarantee that you'll always get someone complaining no matter what music's on. There's no pleasing everyone.
littleblackraincloud

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:25 pm

How would you improve it?

It's all very well complaining that it's rubbish, but if you don't tell the union folk how to fix it, they won't know!
Light the Rag

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:49 pm

I used to love the bop, and I'm not some sad freak who goes around dancing to spice girls or anything. But the whole essence of the bop was going out on a friday getting drunk and then just dancing away to some cheap and cheery cheese! I remember the day I got together with my girlfriend to the sound of ghostbusters, but what chance is there of that ever being played again?

My mates and I actually did discuss this on Friday night at a house party, saying that we expected Road to Amarillo to be played, just because thats what you used to always expect at the bop, so im astonished to hear that it wasnt!

Want an answer to making the bop work? If your not prepared to bring back the cheesey tunes full time, at least alternate friday nights between that and the more 'contemporary' stuff. Last time I complained that the chesse had left I was told it was moved to the Thursday night....why!?!? Surely cheese gains a bigger audience than contemporary, and Friday night is when people are at their most intoxicated and thus more likely to show up for cheese than hip-hop!? Bottom line, NO ONE is going to make the effort to go out on a Thursday when they know they'll be out on the Friday anyway.
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:18 pm

And yet wasn't the eternal line last year that the bop was just the same tunes played over and over without any updates or changes? Also "Ghostbusters" was played at 9:45pm on Friday night.
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby Fully Collapsed on Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:46 pm

Hmmmmm maybe i'm just strange but i'd much rather have contemporary music than cheese.

Yeah the bop isn't great but mainly because of the lack of variation in music each week. The same songs are played each week at roughly the same time as the week before - Bon Jovi anyone?

There doesn't really seem to be much hip-hop played at all and if anything i'd want less cheese and more proper dance music but then i guess everyone else would complain. Oh and i'm not some hardocore dance fan or anything - i prefer emo/post-hardcore/art-rock type stuff but then no-one caters for that here......
Fully Collapsed

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:14 pm

So we're all agreed that the Bop's lost its edge and doesnt stand a chance of regaining it? :o)
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby annoyed on Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:33 pm

One of the main problems that I found at the bop on friday night was that the music was really really quiet. When you can hold a conversation with a friend who is 5 metres away in the bop it doesnt really get the atmosphere going. When we asked them to turn it up they gave some excuse about not annoying the neighbours, I mean come on!!! And yes, every request that we gave for music and text that we sent to the overpriced number was ignored. I spent most of my night in the bar instead, what a waste of 3.50!!
annoyed

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:49 am

[s]Unregisted User 5_watt_bulb wrote on 21:23, 27th Mar 2005:
Her conviction that the universe axially rotates around her.

Lol, I wondered when you'd pop up. Presumably you think that all the buildings around the union are uninhabited? Your query had a two way solution though, the system being louder, or you shutting the fuck up. Why in hells name would you be in the bop to talk anyway? As above, the request is a request, not a demand...you want music on demand, get a linux box, a slimp3 and some cat5.
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:06 am

don't worry folks, if i get a friday night off work i shall play you your cheese,

and you'll love me for ever and ever,

oh wait that is going a bit too far
Mohawk

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board