Home

TheSinner.net

Happy New Year!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Happy New Year!

Postby Paul on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:38 pm

Today (April 10th) is the 1st Nissan.

"And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,
This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.
Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house: And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb.
Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening." - Exodus 12:1-6

It is the month of Passover.

We even have evidence in the gregorian calendar that spring used to be the New Year - October, November, December come from the 8th, 9th and 10th months.

Technically, this is a little late, as it has been posted after sunset, and we therfore now have the 2nd Nissan - Sorry!
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby md25 on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:42 pm

The Nissan's Cherry has been popped!
md25

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Have you converted to Judaism, Paul?

[hr]That man is still in the bushes.
Al

Re:

Postby Paul on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:11 pm

[s]Al wrote on 23:47, 10th Apr 2005:
Have you converted to Judaism, Paul?

Judaism considers the new year (Rosh Hashanah) to be in the seventh month (Tishri) of the Biblical year - and not the first (and, yes exnihilo,, I do know that , certainly in the poast, the Jewsih Calendar had more than one New Year - one in Spring, another on the 15th of Shevat - the New Year of trees - and the economic and harvest one in Tishri.

It might also interest one or tow, that Rosh Hashanah is marked by the blowing of the Shofar, and all males are required to attend Synagogue to hear it. ("Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation." - Leviticus 23:24) This is a particular Christian significance to this.

Each new month is to be heralded with the sound of the trumpet ("Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day." - Psalm 81:3). Therefore, in the Seventh Month, we would have the seventh trumpet of the year.

Now, in the Book of Revelation, the Seventh Trumpet is the last trumpet, and in I Corinthians 15:51-52 we have: "Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."

This is the time of the first resurrection - the one unto life.

So, we have in Revelation a timetable for the end. When we see the effects of the trumpets, we know that the end is nigh!
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby JM on Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:15 pm

I'm just gonna nod my head and pretend i have even the faintest idea of whats going on here.

should i be nodding my head or shaking my head?

[hr]"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:17 am

try a little of both and the occasional grunt of both acceptence and rejection.

[hr][s]I have made my site work again, so feel free to have a look.

My website:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ag56/ [/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:53 am

and confirm and deny things.

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby tintin on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:20 am

I've read your posts for long enough without replying to them, but this really is the limit. Are you actually insane or something - they just make no sense whatsoever - you are clearly an extremely frustrated individual who might benefit more from ranting at people in public rather than on the Sinner.
tintin

Re:

Postby Paul on Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:50 pm

Quoting tintin from 14:20, 11th Apr 2005
I've read your posts for long enough without replying to them, but this really is the limit. Are you actually insane or something - they just make no sense whatsoever - you are clearly an extremely frustrated individual who might benefit more from ranting at people in public rather than on the Sinner.

There are things that I have read, written by people that have studied their subject for many years, which I do not understand.

However, I do not rant at them, and call them insane, merely because there writings make no sense to me. Rather I wonder at their knowledge - and my ignorance - of the subject.
Paul

Re:

Postby oddly familiar on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting Paul from 22:50, 11th Apr 2005

There are things that I have read, written by people that have studied their subject for many years, which I do not understand.

However, I do not rant at them, and call them insane, merely because there writings make no sense to me. Rather I wonder at their knowledge - and my ignorance - of the subject.

Well, unless they're Evolutionary Biologists of course....

[hr]

And the last one out of the circus has to lock up everything,
Or the elephants will get out and forget you.
saru mo ki kara ochiru
oddly familiar

Return to The Sinner's Main Board