Home

TheSinner.net

Holy smoke

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Holy smoke

Postby Nymphomanic on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:26 pm

But who's it gonna. be and will this one promote aids.
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:30 pm

Quoting Nymphomanic from 17:26, 19th Apr 2005

They don't promote AIDS, thats a remarkably narrow minded point of view; they advocate sex only within marriage, which unfortunately isn't a particularly effective method as people don't really seem to follow it.

[hr]

[s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:30 pm

will this one promote aids.

well, aids v.2 is now out, so it should just sell itself.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Pender Native on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:15 pm

And sex within marriage won't help you if one of the people already has it. Something I don't get is that okay, they don't think you should interfere with fertility because of the guy in the OT who spilled his seed on the groud and had something nasty done to him by God (although I'm not sure if that was because he didn't want to impregnate his dead brother's wife like he was supposed to). Anyway, doesn't it make a difference if you're using condoms to avoid passing on a debilitating and fatal disease to the woman you love and resulting unfortuneate children?

It's not like God forbade condoms, and since they've only been widely available for perhaps the last 60 years, it's not as if they have the weight of church tradition behind them either. I just think they have more important things to worry about then banning condoms.

[hr]

'I like to listen to a man who likes to talk. Whoops! Sawdust and Treacle, put that in your herring and smoke it!' - quote from the Bursar in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Hope that clears up any confusion as to my personal tastes!
"I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces,
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too."
Pender Native

Re:

Postby Paul on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:26 pm

Quoting Pender native from 00:15, 21st Apr 2005
I just think they have more important things to worry about then banning condoms.

Banning birth control IS IMPORTANT TO THEM - and not for biblcal reasons. They are looking for a large majority of the population to be Roman Catholic.
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." - I John 5:20
Paul

Re:

Postby Mohawk on Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:52 pm

here was me hoping this would be a critique on the iron maiden song "Holy Smoke"

alas not, it's another one about the papacy

[hr]
Mohawk

Re:

Postby otsegolectric on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Quoting Mohawk from 00:52, 21st Apr 2005
here was me hoping this would be a critique on the iron maiden song "Holy Smoke"

alas not, it's another one about the papacy

[hr]

My thoughts exactly Mohawk...how boring :(

Also, the Iron Maiden song Holy Smoke is awful (and this from a massive Maiden fan).

(edited for bad spelling...)

Thoughts?

[hr]

"The doll's trying to kill me, and the toaster's been laughing at me..."
otsegolectric

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting Paul from 00:26, 21st Apr 2005
Banning birth control IS IMPORTANT TO THEM - and not for biblcal reasons. They are looking for a large majority of the population to be Roman Catholic.

Paul! You came back and yet, I notice, still haven't engaged with the discussion about the origins of the Tanakh or the contradictions in the Bible, that's two reminders now!

(Edited 'cause I screwed up the quoting.)
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Setsuna on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:26 am

Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great…
If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate…

Harry Blackitt: Look at them, bloody Catholics, filling the bloody world up with bloody people they can't afford to bloody feed.

Mrs. Blackitt: What are we dear?

Harry Blackitt: Protestant, and fiercely proud of it.

Mrs. Blackitt: Hmm. Well, why do they have so many children?

Harry Blackitt: Because... every time they have sexual intercourse, they have to have a baby.

Mrs. Blackitt: But it's the same with us, Harry.
Harry Blackitt: What do you mean?

Mrs. Blackitt: Well, I mean, we've got two children, and we've had sexual intercourse twice.

Harry Blackitt: That's not the point. We could have it any time we wanted.

Mrs. Blackitt: Really?

Harry Blackitt: Oh, yes, and, what's more, because we don't believe in all that Papist claptrap, we can take precautions.

Mrs. Blackitt: What, you mean... lock the door?

Harry Blackitt: No, no. I mean, because we are members of the Protestant Reformed Church, which successfully challenged the autocratic power of the Papacy in the mid-sixteenth century, we can wear little rubber devices to prevent issue.

Mrs. Blackitt: What d'you mean?

Harry Blackitt: I could, if I wanted, have sexual intercourse with you...

Mrs. Blackitt: Oh, yes, Harry.

Harry Blackitt: ...and, by wearing a rubber sheath over my old feller, I could insure... that, when I came off, you would not be impregnated.

Mrs. Blackitt: Ooh.

Harry Blackitt: That's what being a Protestant's all about. That's why it's the church for me. That's why it's the church for anyone who respects the individual and the individual's right to decide for him or herself. When Martin Luther nailed his protest up to the church door in fifteen-seventeen, he may not have realised the full significance of what he was doing, but four hundred years later, thanks to him, my dear, I can wear whatever I want on my John Thomas...
[sniff]

Harry Blackitt: ... and, Protestantism doesn't stop at the simple condom. Oh, no. I can wear French Ticklers if I want.

Mrs. Blackitt: You what?

Harry Blackitt: French Ticklers. Black Mambos. Crocodile Ribs. Sheaths that are designed not only to protect, but also to enhance the stimulation of sexual congress.

Mrs. Blackitt: Have you got one?

Harry Blackitt: Have I got one? Uh, well, no, but I can go down the road any time I want and walk into Harry's and hold my head up high and say in a loud, steady voice, 'Harry, I want you to sell me a condom. In fact, today, I think I'll have a French Tickler, for I am a Protestant.'

Mrs. Blackitt: Well, why don't you?

Harry Blackitt: But they - Well, they cannot, 'cause their church never made the great leap out of the Middle Ages and the domination of alien Episcopal supremacy.

Sorry about that. It’s half 4 and im still awake. Nevertheless… ‘mon the kaffliks!
Setsuna

Re:

Postby legohead on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:37 am

Quoting Setsuna from 04:26, 21st Apr 2005
Quoting Paul from 00:26, 21st Apr 20
[b]Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great…
If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate…

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I love that song, so catchy, and I do like the wee gibe at the prods, just to show that there's no bias in the song. when you look at it, both sides do seem a bit silly. thanks for the script, it was great

[hr]

This is for all those headless acrobats
faces crushed in the circus dust
all in the name of gravity
and the price of admission
legohead

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:39 am

Its' good to see that you can't keep a good stereotype down

[hr]

[s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:06 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/ and check the top story on the page for some self indulgent piffle.

Paul: What's wrong with Catholics wanting there to be a lot of Catholics? Isn't that their job, to propagate and spread their faith to other people, even if it means creating them in the first place?

I don't see why people are so upset about religious bodies and their "Ours is the way to do it" attitudes; it's how it's meant to be.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:11 am

You've made the assumption that massive overpopulation and making the spread of STDs is a good idea... which you're entitled to do it's just a pretty iffy assumption.

[hr]IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:15 am

It makes sense from the rationale of a religios body. It isn't my rationale, but i understand why they do it.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:16 am

You said you don't see why people are upset by the "ours is the way to do it" reason. I've just give you a reason - are you implying that what I suggest *isn't* a good reason for people to be unhappy with the rationale?

[hr]IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:24 am

Quoting flarewearer from 17:30, 19th Apr 2005

They don't promote AIDS, thats a remarkably narrow minded point of view; they advocate sex only within marriage, which unfortunately isn't a particularly effective method as people don't really seem to follow it.

[hr]

Sex is great, that's why no-one follows it...
Needless to say that I disagree with everything that the catholic church stands for... Bigoted, narrow-minded fools.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Pender Native on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:33 pm

quote]

I know that, but my point was that condoms aren't just birth control, and that maybe they should be allowed to wear them for other reasons, such as to prevent the spread of deadly diseases. Surely intention counts for something?

[hr]

'I like to listen to a man who likes to talk. Whoops! Sawdust and Treacle, put that in your herring and smoke it!' - quote from the Bursar in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Hope that clears up any confusion as to my personal tastes!
"I have seen flowers come in stony places
And kind things done by men with ugly faces,
And the gold cup won by the worst horse at the races,
So I trust, too."
Pender Native

Re:

Postby legohead on Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting fugaziboy from 14:24, 21st Apr 2005

Sex is great, that's why no-one follows it...
Needless to say that I disagree with everything that the catholic church stands for... Bigoted, narrow-minded fools.

wait..who's narrow minded? Catholic church doesn't say sex isn't important, just that it's for making babies and within a stable marriage so it's easier to raise the wee mites. do you actually know everything the Catholic church stands for by the way? I'm Catholic and I'm sure there's a few minor doctrinal bits and bobs I don't know about

[hr]

legohead

Re:

Postby Sid on Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:05 pm

The Mitre

Did anyone read the article "The Accusers Must Be Vanquished" (page 6)? If not I suggest you do so, it's an excellent article on the Catholics stance on contraception, in particular condoms and the AID's crisis in Africa.

Sid
Sid

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:15 pm

Quoting Prophet Tenebrae from 11:16, 21st Apr 2005
You said you don't see why people are upset by the "ours is the way to do it" reason. I've just give you a reason - are you implying that what I suggest *isn't* a good reason for people to be unhappy with the rationale?

I'm suggesting that they are both valid ways of looking at the issue, the one that you are offering makes sense to people who value human life and not having crippling illnesses sweeping through a continent while the one that I gave values continuing the power of a religion.

To somebody with your rationale, my idea makes no sense, and vice versa. They are both "right" from their own points of view, but people on each side will not be able to see this as it contradicts their own world view.

they're both perfectly good ways of thinking. my original point was that people have to understand that for the Catholic Church, what they're doing makes perfect sense and there isn't actually a problem with it because it achieves their goals; to promote Catholicism and follow God's word.

[hr]

Cain

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board