Home

TheSinner.net

ITV's "I'm celebrity - get me out of here!"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

ITV's "I'm celebrity - get me out of here!"

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:52 pm

As most papers have pointed out - this really redefines the word celebrity... at best the cast are has beens and want to bes...

So far the only thing the show has proven is that Rhona what's her face is capable of turning agreement into a stand-offish argument and that Tara has the face of a woman but the torso of a young boy.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:15 pm

I would have gone with - This really is complete and utter shite and the only thing the show has proven is that some people really will watch anything.

I've made sure not to see it after seeing the adverts and working out what the point of the program. As far as I can tell (from seeing the Daily Star's front page in Somerfields earlier) the most entertaining thing to happen is that Tara Farmer-Bumpkinson got maggots dumped on her. And as you say, it's stuffed full of f-list celebrities. JUST A MINUTE! Low profile celebs! people getting crap dumped on them! absolutely no entertainment value! it's just Noel's House Party. With a smaller budget. And less sweaters.

In fact, I would call it the crappest thing on telly at the moment but there's that other ITV one. The one where two talentless soap rejects (except they haven't been rejected 'cause soaps are shite too) showcase ugly and annoying people from around the country. What's it called again... oh yeah, Britain's Sexiest... The best reason for celebacy I've ever seen.

[hr]"You tried your best and failed miserably. The moral is don't try."
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:04 pm

I've tried hard, but I can't think of one programme worth watching on ITV. Nothing springs to mind.

[hr]It all depends what you mean by.....
Al

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:40 am

Just as well, when ITV make a television show that an average person can watch without their brain imploding - the world will implode.
Prophet Tenebrae

I'm a celebrity SHOOT ME

Postby critic on Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:48 pm

Hmmm I just find it such a farse, they could have made it so much better...for instance by not having the studios within a minutes walk and providing food...they should catch it themselves.... and Ant andDec popping up in camp everyday aids my impression that these mostly B-list past-it celebs are "really out there going native"

and that bud tucker challange bull shit man it pisses me off..

when is someone gonna deck that Dyke Rhona?? And who the hell is she anyway??Celebrity??? Never heard of her

The BBC did a much better version where 10 normal people had to track through Peruvian jungles unaided, that was good...but this ITV stuff...suprisingly...still has me hooked
critic

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:24 pm

Basically, what you are saying is that you are hooked on watching a TV show that you think is utter rubbish. Hardly a glowing self-recommendation, is it? That's leaving aside your bigoted little attack on one of the "contestants".

Al

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:49 pm

Rhona Cameron, she's a stand up comic and tv presenter. Not particularly famous but easily in the same league as Nigel Ben and Christine Hamilton.

[hr]"As you pick up the toothbrush a tree outside the window collapses.
There is no causal relationship between these two events."
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:37 pm

Rhona Cameron played a gig in the union theatre once.

Sadly, it didn't go down very well.
Oli

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:19 pm

Why?

Al

Re:

Postby Oli on Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:13 pm

(a) Because she was paid to
(b) Because she was rubbish
Oli

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:26 pm

Thank you. And there was me thinking that she had just turned up and did an impromptu gig for the hell of it. How silly of me not to realise that she might have been paid.

Al

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:34 pm

Why does everyone hate Tara Palmer-Tomkinson?
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby Phina on Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:39 pm

C'mon she really does ask for it. Having not seen the programme I can not comment on that in particular- but frankly she has so much privilege and yet has failed to do anything useful with her life except publicise herself. Thats my personal reason for disliking her.
Phina

Better option

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:24 pm

Put Rhona whats her face, Nige Benn, Darren "Dick" Day etc etc on an island. No kit, no food. Camera crew leave. Boat leaves. That's it. Camera's come back in two years. Far more fun

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:24 pm

But what has she done?

How did she become famous? I thought she was famous just for being famous.

And possibly snorting lots of coke.

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:38 pm

Hate is too strong a word. She's just the perfect example of how the word celebrity means nothing anymore - she's got even less of a reason to be famous than people off Big Brother (and let's all sigh relief that Channel 4 has finally expunged that show and Graham Norton from its 10-11pm time slot for another year at least).

So if there is any feeling toward her at all, it should be orientated toward the curiosity that people feel toward her - just why is she famous? (rhetorical as there is no reason).
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:57 pm

As far as I can tell, she is known to the public (I refuse to call her famous, or even infamous. Is there a term for somewhere in the middle?) because she comes from a family rich enough that she is able to attend all the high profile social functions that actually famous people attend. So she is able to meet, become friends with the actually famous people and then be photographed with them in the tabloid newspapers.

As for any opinions towards her I have, I will admit to being annoyed by her but only because people insist on putting her on TV and pretending she has expertise in any areas when she actually comes across as hopelessly immature and a te-eny bit ignorant. I'm don't think that should be held against her, she isn't the one that decides she merits screen time, but I do wish the media would stop pretending she's in anyway important or interesting.

[hr]"As you pick up the toothbrush a tree outside the window collapses.
There is no causal relationship between these two events."
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:08 pm

It's just those tabloid rag demonstrating that they can "make" celebrities - but tabloids are fickle and eventually they will destroy Tara.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby athaclena on Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:45 pm

Two summers ago, in some train station somewhere in Europe (after a while, all train stations look the same), my travelling companion and I picked up a copy of the Times because it was the only British paper that we could get. In it there was an article by Tara Palmer-Tomkinson complaining about her coke habit, and then her shopping habit, and how she had maxed out so many credit cards and bought so many clothes and gotten into so much debt. And how hard she found it surviving on only several hundred pounds a week.

That is why I hate her. Not just because she has more money than me, although that always helps, but because her real problem is that she is an attention seeking, whiny little bitch, who still thinks she's relevant and ten years younger. She's 31.

Also, I hate the fact I know so much about her. (Although I only know her age because I read it in the paper today. Apparently she fancies Darren Day. Why?)

[hr]A dark mirror...
That was always the intention...
athaclena

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:03 pm

But at some level aren't most celebrities whiney little kids?
Prophet Tenebrae

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board