Home

TheSinner.net

Where is William?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Phina on Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:38 pm

[s]The Kaiser wrote on 14:43, 1st Sep 2002:

It is possible to be snobbish and decadent while simultaneously struggling to survive on student loans and overdrafts.

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 23:18, 1st Sep 2002:
Not really 'struggling' is it? More having complete disreguard for the state of your finances.

Farwall, I'd agree with The Kaiser... it is possible to live a very good life on student loans and grants- without complete disregard for the monthly bank statement. It isn't nessecary to act out the role of poor deprived person just because your income isn't quite what you would like...

I might be wrong but I think this is the point Kaiser was trying to make against your comment that the Yah's have what you percieve to be unlimited funds and 'mock' the rest of the student body's nose in it. Admittedly some do. But others manage to keep up the illusion...
Phina

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:17 am

Phina is mostly correct. There will always be the odd point of panic when living off the loan but it is entirely possible to keep the Bombay Sapphire (or whatever you prefer) running all year long. Lord knows most of Rocksoc manage it.

[hr]You see! The British can be defeated! We have caught them with their pants up!
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:44 am

As far as I can tell, most of Rocksoc manage it until about 2 months from the end of the year. At which point we live on 9p baked beans and 15p loaves of bread for the rest of the year.
Except for those of us who have the cheek to go to the hardship fund and ask them for Gin money, eh Matthew?

[hr]"GET OFF ME, YOU FILTHY SOFA!"
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Just look at the numbers

Postby Jonathon on Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:34 pm

Well in truth every single American female who posts assures us that they are not coming to St.Andrews because of the Prince...but numbers of American females increased massively in his year of entry and I imagine thetrend will not be reversed this year. This increase from American female applicants was not matched by their male couterparts....

I think it is pretty safe to assume that a large majority of these American girls had previously never heard of St.Andrews in their lives before it became so publicised on account of HRH's arrival..

You get my point I'm sure...and before we get dozens of replies of American girls claiming to be "exceptions" to my argument please don't bother, I know some of you didn't apply because of the Prince but it is a clear a hell of a lot of you did

And that's all i got to say about that.
Jonathon

It could just be they're telling the truth

Postby Al on Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:42 pm

"Well in truth every single American female who posts assures us that they are not coming to St.Andrews because of the Prince...but numbers of American females increased massively in his year of entry and I imagine the trend will not be reversed this year" - Have you considered that they are telling the truth? Even allowing for the sad one or two who allowed the Prince's matriculation to sway their decision, how many does that leave?

"I think it is pretty safe to assume that a large majority of these American girls had previously never heard of St.Andrews in their lives before it became so publicised on account of HRH's arrival." That does not mean they came because of it. Many people in this country hadn't heard of the University before the news that Prince William was going to study here splashed it across the papers!

[hr]Isn't it a little early in the evening for a philosophical debate?
Al

Re:

Postby Zippy on Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:06 pm

Well in truth every single American female who posts assures us that they are not coming to St.Andrews because of the Prince...but numbers of American females increased massively in his year of entry and I imagine the trend will not be reversed this year" - Have you considered that they are telling the truth? Even allowing for the sad one or two who allowed the Prince's matriculation to sway their decision, how many does that leave?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here, I'm sticking by my belief... the fact that the rise in female applications from America outstripped males by such a ridiculous amount is all the evidence I need really. I think there are more like a sad one or two DOZEN girls who would be lying if they said he wasn't the main reason for their coming here..

however this princely obsession is not restricted to Americans...but it just seems the non-Americans are more subtle and better at hiding their true reasoning
Zippy

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:16 pm

Why do you assume everyone is a liar unless you have evidence to the contrary? Undoubtedly there are students here simply because it was announced that PW was going to attend. But that is not to say that everyone should be tarred with that brush.

Al

Re:

Postby Zippy on Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:26 pm

"Think there are more like a sad one or two DOZEN girls who"

"I know some of you didn't apply because of the Prince but it is a clear a hell of a lot of you did"

As you can see i'm not painting all with the same brush...there are hundreds of Americans, large proportion of whom are female. And it' a bit harsh to accuse me of calling them liars, this isn't a personal attack on every American in st andrews. There have been dozens of hasrher things said in the past on it.

Theres a difference between hiding your reasons and lying about them in my book.
Zippy

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:16 pm

"And it' a bit harsh to accuse me of calling them liars"

but you did -

"I think there are more like a sad one or two DOZEN girls who would be lying if they said he wasn't the main reason for their coming here.."

Al

Re:

Postby Zippy on Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:31 pm

point taken
Zippy

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:24 pm

[s]Scunthorpe wrote on 11:17, 2nd Sep 2002:
Phina is mostly correct. There will always be the odd point of panic when living off the loan but it is entirely possible to keep the Bombay Sapphire (or whatever you prefer) running all year long. Lord knows most of Rocksoc manage it.

Phina and Scunthorpe have summed up pretty well what I was trying to get across (thank you).

I prefer Tanqueray.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby Abbey on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:29 pm

I know nobody's going to believe this, but I've wanted to come to St Andrews for a good 5 years- long before anyone knew William would be attending. My grandpa visited the town after World War II, and has always told me how beautiful it is. Then in recent years, I looked into the academics there more (along with UCL, Durham, Bath, and several others), and have decided that I would like to apply there.

It's completely true that most people here are naive about the university. Even my teachers at school joke that the only reason I would want to come is because of William (which then I show them the prospectus I obtained in 1996, and they believe the sincerity of my motives). I do believe that there are some Americans who attend St Andrews who aren't there because of William- and unfortunately they get categorized with all of the others who are there just to ogle him.

*Okay, rant over :) *
Abbey

Re:

Postby Megaera on Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:35 pm

there's another explanation for the rise in american girls applying to st andrews. you're right, most people in the US had never heard of this place until prince william came, since the vast majority of americans know cambridge and oxford, and that's it. lots of american magazines for women are obsessed with the prince, so they talk a lot about st andrews, and if you read such magazines, you might get interested in the place merely for its own sake. hence, prince william could technically be called a reason for which many american girls apply, but not always for the sake of coming here to marry him or some such idiocy.
Megaera

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board