Home

TheSinner.net

Union Quiz

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Union Quiz

Postby flarewearer on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:34 am

I'm sure that the quiz girls thought i was being a cocky twat, but;

image:www.eicc.bio.usyd.edu.au/Newsletter/Figures/feb02f3.jpg

Count the walking legs, there are 8

And;

Some consider the Arctic, Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific to be the world's four oceans. Others add a fifth ocean and call it the Antarctic Ocean or the Southern Ocean. But now, the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) is attempting to settle that debate in an upcoming publication by declaring, naming, and demarcating the Southern Ocean.

The IHO is in the process of updating their official publication, Limits of Oceans and Seas (S-23). The second and most recent edition of this document, which is the global authority on the names and locations of seas and oceans, was produced in 1953. The next (and third) edition of S-23 is expected within a year and it is advocating a dramatic change with the official addition of the Southern Ocean as the fifth world ocean.

There are 68 member countries of the IHO and membership is limited to non-landlocked countries.

Twenty-eight countries responded to the IHO's request for recommendations on what to do about the Southern Ocean. All responding members except Argentina agreed that the ocean surrounding Antarctica should be created and given a single name. Eighteen of the twenty-eight responding countries preferred calling the ocean the Southern Ocean over the alternative name Antarctic Ocean so the former is the one that has been selected.

[hr]

[s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:36 am

Us Biologists Fucking Rock! Get it right up the non-educated masses!

[hr]

BiggerBrother St Andrews 2005 - All The Action Live at http://www.biggerbrother.org.uk
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:01 am

There were 4 biologists on our team pissing themselves with rage at that.

You don't walk on claws, obviously

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Pan on Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:30 am

yup same here! :D

[hr]

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie"
Pan

Re:

Postby rodney on Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:32 am

for god's sake it's only a quiz
What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
rodney

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:32 am

Glad I didn't go last night, I get pissed off at the sound of her voice alone, and the lobster question would have been the end.
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:15 am

The quiz was not done by the same people as normal. Due to one member being at a ball and the other not able due to other reasons.
Dont blame the normal ones and dont be so rude!
We'll be back to doing the quiz as normal next week.
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby ever_nocturnal on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:08 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:15 am

Ah, but IHO report hasn't been published YET! (right?) until then...

And is that a picture of the Norwegian whatever? It may be, but it's not made clear in your post.
Director of Services

Re:

Postby ever_nocturnal on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:28 am

Last edited by ever_nocturnal on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ever_nocturnal

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:35 pm

Quoting ever_nocturnal from 14:28, 25th Apr 2005
The Norwegian Lobster, Nephrops Norvegicus, clearly has huge claws (look in google image). All crustaceans have ten limbs, and it is clear that even the most athletic Norwegian variety can not walk on the first two.

Surely you mean all decapod crustacea have 10 biramous limbs ;o) And for any non-biologists out there, your fact for the day is that the aforementioned Nephrops, also known as the langoustine (byt not to be confused with the langouste) is better known battered and served as scampi.
And you make Sandy Edwards cry inside when you capitalise the species name :o

[hr]

[s]It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.[/s]
flarewearer

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:30 pm

Quoting dunqn from 14:22, 25th Apr 2005
Quoting PurelySynthetic from 13:15, 25th Apr 2005
dont be so rude!

Sorry - but telling people who clearly know the right answer that they're wrong, is rude.

I didnt mean that - i meant the person who slagged off marias voice!
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:47 pm

Sandy edwards (see what I did there?) does not cry. He gets very angry and shouts 'Bloody Hell'. You should know that, surely?

[hr]

BiggerBrother St Andrews 2005 - All The Action Live at http://www.biggerbrother.org.uk
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby amac on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:54 pm

dont be so rude!

Sorry - but telling people who clearly know the right answer that they're wrong, is rude.

Everyone in a pub quiz thinks they know the right answer. Even if they did get it wrong, it's only a pub quiz. Get over it.
amac

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Quoting amac from 00:54, 26th Apr 2005
dont be so rude!

Everyone in a pub quiz thinks they know the right answer. Even if they did get it wrong, it's only a pub quiz. Get over it.

NOBODY TELLS ME I'M WRONG ABOUT NEPHROPS WHEN IM RIGHT :D

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby morn_69 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:16 am

Lets face it this weeks quiz was crap.....
Maria and Suzee aka "The Vixens" will be back on sunday.... even if I have to kill them and drag their decaying corpses in and I do it thru ventriloquism!

[hr]

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams
morn_69

Re:

Postby morn_69 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:16 am

Lets face it this weeks quiz was crap.....
Maria and Suzee aka \"The Vixens\" will be back on sunday.... even if I have to kill them and drag their decaying corpses in and I do it thru ventriloquism!

[hr]

Douglas Adams

[hr]

Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams
morn_69

Re:

Postby morn_69 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:17 am

Deleted due to stupidily posting 3 times

Douglas Adams
morn_69

Return to The Sinner's Main Board