Home

TheSinner.net

Seagulls!!!!!!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Seagulls!!!!!!

Postby theflirt on Tue May 03, 2005 1:37 pm

At 3 o\'clock this morning I was rudely awakened by the sound of squawking seagulls...AGAIN! Across on the other house from me there is a lovely wee nest, which will soon be filled by not so lovely baby seagulls! I can\'t sleep as it is with the parents squawking all night, but when the babies arrive I think I will actually go crazy!!!

Is anyone else having similar seagull fun, or is it just lucky old me??
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Tue May 03, 2005 1:50 pm

You're not alone - I hate them too, last year I was sorely tempted to leave bread outside with bicarbonate of soda on it because apparently that makes them explode! And yes, when the babies arrive it gets A LOT worse - probably a good idea to invest in some earplugs if you're going to be here over the summer months.

One of my friends with a top floor flat actually had a seagull wander into the kitchen - I would have freaked - they are pretty scary beasts!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Tue May 03, 2005 1:58 pm

When I was in halls I knew a guy who used to keep cheese on the window sill. Then the cheese started disappearing. It even disappeared when the room was locked and questions were being asked of the roommate and whether he had a penchant for stealing cheese. Then one day the guy opened the curtains to see a huge sea gull on the ground below trying to gulp down a little wheel of Brie from Tesco's. Suffice to say he shot out of the room and down to the sea gull chasing it off with a shinty caman. It was barely able to lift off with all that cheese in it. For a week after two balls of bread filled with bicarbonate of soda were left on the sill. They both disappeared but no seagulls were seen exploding.

The seagulls are very noisy though. Wake me up sometimes too and I hate it. Still, what can you do unless you intend to rob them of their homes or lives?

[hr]

Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby theflirt on Tue May 03, 2005 2:10 pm

I'm quite tempted to make a sling-shot!! They are driving me nuts! I don't know how the guy in the room below them is coping!
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue May 03, 2005 2:23 pm

Why not try looking them in their beady black eyes and reasoning with them.

Three long high-pitched squawks means: 'I mean you no harm, let us be friends. Or I shall make a pie out of your mangy corpse'.

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Tue May 03, 2005 2:44 pm

unfortuantly its illegal to shoot seagulls unless they are like 3 miles inland.

i think i read that somewhere.

/goes back to polishing shotgun.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr][s]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies[/s]
[s]Website http://www.macintyre42.plus.com [For all your DJ Smuggy needs] [/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby rae on Tue May 03, 2005 3:09 pm

The summer I stayed in Gannochy the seagulls nearly drove everyone bonkers. Every single morning, and there was no way you could sleep through it! I remember air guns and bicarbonate soda all being discussed but I don't know if anyone tried. Still, 2 years on and I still feel tired thinking about that summer.

[hr]

In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Tue May 03, 2005 3:35 pm

Tuesday nights in the summer are always the worst...when people put out their rubbish on the streets and the gulls come along and rip it open.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Tue May 03, 2005 3:37 pm

Use of an air rifle or a suppressed .22 rifle would seem like a good way of getting rid of them. That or getting a cat or just mounting a campaign to scare them off for a week or two would teach them a lesson.

Actually maybe something bigger than a cat. A lynx.

[hr]

Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby Rex Mundi on Tue May 03, 2005 3:43 pm

It may be illegal to shoot them, but is it illegal to get a ladder and climb onto the roof with a broom to do some "sweeping"?
Rex Mundi

Re:

Postby loretta on Tue May 03, 2005 3:44 pm

The ducks in gatty have been driving me mad...they quak and quack constantly..and every time I open the curtains there sems to be a million walking towards you with evil intent

[hr]

'The English like eccentrics, they just don't like them living next door.'
'The English like eccentrics, they just don't like them living next door.'
loretta

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Tue May 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Haha, the seagulls here are nothing. You should try living in Aberdeen where the average seagull is larger than the average human ;)
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue May 03, 2005 4:00 pm

I find that if you use fishing hooks and wire, then place food around the hooks, they eat it, fly away, then reach the end of the length of wire. It's a fun sight, I can tell you.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.conservatives.com/UploadedFiles/GRAPHIC%5CDOWNLOADTHUMB%5Cthumb-torchlandwordspos.jpg
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Tue May 03, 2005 4:08 pm

That is pretty sick dude! I heard putting a stone in some bread and throwing it up to them can make them crash. Still I wouldn't put them on hooks! I don't think that doing some 'sweeping' would matter though you have to watch out. If they have chicks they will probably attack you.

[hr]

Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue May 03, 2005 4:43 pm

My Dad works at Bristol Uni and every year health and safety shoot some seagulls because they are really aggressive- they dive bomb people!

My Dad got assaulted by one once...it flew up silently behind him and then battered him across the back of the head with its wing and flew back to do it all again! Bloody nasty buggers, mind.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Tue May 03, 2005 5:08 pm

I had a traumatic encounter with a seagull when I was 4. I was on a north sea island in Germany, sitting on a bench, minding my own business and munching a bread roll, when a HUGE (mind you I was wee) seagull landed on my head and stole the bread roll out of my hands. I was so shocked! I must say though, I don't mind them so much up here. I have more trouble with wild geese having noisy conversations outside my window in the middle of the night and owls... new hall is a bloody safari park!

[hr]

What ravages of spirit
conjured this temptuous rage
created you a monster
broken by the rules of love
Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby theflirt on Tue May 03, 2005 7:18 pm

They're evolving! They never used to attack people...back in ye old times ;)
I was bitten by a duck once...I was trying to feed a crisp, it obviously didn't like that flavour :S. I was about 4 too, I think I cried for hours...I was SO shocked as I thought it to be a very cute duck!
oh pants
theflirt

Return to The Sinner's Main Board