Home

TheSinner.net

More PC help

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

More PC help

Postby rubbermuffin on Wed May 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Hey all

Can anyone help me with a problem i've been having. Norton Antivirus tells me I have a trojan which apparently causes pop-ups. I have tried deleting it but it won't let me, even in safe mode, and i have also tried a removal tool on the Norton website.

Anyone got any ideas how i can get rid of it, as i think it is causing my internet connection to slow!

[hr]

'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed May 04, 2005 8:29 pm

spybot search and destroy + avg antivirus, along with never installing anything that bundles anything (ie GAIN software) or clicking on any "you must click yes to view this page" webpages should keep you right.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
[hr][s]Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies[/s]
[s]Website http://www.macintyre42.plus.com [For all your DJ Smuggy needs] [/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed May 04, 2005 8:32 pm

Additionally, you might want a nice firewall like Kerio to make sure you never get any of those things in the first place - as well as using the infinitely superior Firefox instead of IE, if you aren't already.

All in all that keeps your computer pretty much free of viruses, spyware, adware and so on. Pretty much the only way to get a virus if you're using all the programs proscribed is if someone sends you one and you run it.

[hr]IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed May 04, 2005 10:28 pm

If I were you, I'd just Google the name of the trojan. Often Microsoft has special removal instructions that usually work, and sometimes you hit upon discussions on technical message boards where people have asked how to get rid of them and been given several suggestions.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Thu May 05, 2005 10:37 am

Thanks very much guys, I installed AVG, firefox and spybot and got rid of the virus :)

[hr]

rubbermuffin

Return to The Sinner's Main Board