Home

TheSinner.net

St Andrews - Edinburgh Airport 25th of May?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St Andrews - Edinburgh Airport 25th of May?

Postby Torben on Thu May 12, 2005 2:23 pm

Hey Guys,

I am leaving St Andrews at the 25th of may and my flight goes at 11:00am (German Wings). Would be nice to travel with someone else having some company.I want to go by train but if there are enough people we could take taxi.

Email me when you want to leave ts95.

See ya

Torben
Torben

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu May 12, 2005 5:16 pm

I saw flyers for a £20 taxi to edinburgh airport lying around hall. They all seem to have vanished - probably worth looking into though.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Torben on Fri May 13, 2005 8:26 am

cheers, I will have a look
Torben

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 13, 2005 9:55 pm

Re: St Andrews - Edinburgh Airport 25th of May?

Postby Sina on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Has anyone figured out whether there indeed are taxis for 25 pounds?

Or does anyone need to share a taxi on Friday, 27th March, early in the morning (3.30)?

Cheers,

Sina
Sina

Postby orudge on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Epic bump.

I would be very, very doubtful that you'd find a taxi that'd take one person to Edinburgh for £25.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Hennessy on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:50 pm

it's about £12 to leuchars
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Duggeh on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:10 pm

St Andrews to Lundin Links was £27 last time I needed to take that journey. Which was 6 years ago. More than £2 a mile.

£25 to edinburgh barely covers the petrol these days.
Duggeh

Postby Stu le taxi on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:26 am

I doubt if you would get a vehicle of any kind to go from St Andrews to Edinburgh Airport for less than around £60, and the going rate for local taxis is probably around £70 or so, with perhaps a bit more for larger vehicle. From my perspective whether this is reasonable depends on the quality/cleanliness etc of the vehicle and driver, but clearly some people will put greater emphasis on the various factors than others.

If the fliers are for St Andrews Direct then it should be borne in mind that the prices quoted are for a shared vehicle and there are several other issues that should be taken into consideration.

For example, their website seems to say that there's a minimum charge for the vehicle and thus if there aren't enough people travelling then you'll be charged for the whole vehicle anyway. Also, there are luggage surcharges and I think passengers are picked up from the Union, and local taxis are often booked to take students there to get into a St Andrews Direct vehicle (!), which I believe come from the Edinburgh area.

The main attraction seems to be the price, but if you can get a few people together then hiring a taxi by the conventional route can work out considerably cheaper - I worked one trip out a few years ago and basically the St Andrews Direct option would have worked out about double the price of a local taxi, but in fairness that's probably an extreme example. But in essence you can be paying a premium for St Andrews Direct bringing you together with people who are travelling at a similar time to the same destination - if you can organise a group yourself then it can work out a lot cheaper and be more convenient in terms of pick-up locations and timings.
Stu le taxi

Return to The Sinner's Main Board