Home

TheSinner.net

How much does Graduation cost?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

How much does Graduation cost?

Postby Lyeta on Thu May 12, 2005 3:08 pm

Ive heard rumours that it can get to about £2000 if you add in the ball, gown, garden party and so on - is this right? Will need another job this summer if it is!
Lyeta

for my graduation

Postby Cain on Thu May 12, 2005 4:49 pm

joining the Council - £44
Garden Party Tickets - 4x£10
Grad Ball tickets - 2x£20something
Gown Hire - 1x£29.50
Accommodation in New Hall - £113.55ish
Graduate endowment - £2,000
Graduation dinner - thanks mum and dad
white bow tie - £12?
Print credits - 15p
Photographs - £20something?

so, that's about £2,250 ish. plus miscellaneous living expenses, like feeding myself for the time that i'm in town and getting to and from graduation. the bits in bold are things that you need to graduate, the others are just nice to have

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby ally on Thu May 12, 2005 5:01 pm

:O what? why do you have to pay £2,000 for graduate endowment? what is that anyway?

[hr]

Some birds are not meant to be caged, thats all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out pst you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure
Now I shout it from the highest hill
ally

Re:

Postby ally on Thu May 12, 2005 5:02 pm

:O what? why do you have to pay £2,000 for graduate endowment? what is that anyway?

[hr]

Some birds are not meant to be caged, thats all. Their feathers are too bright, their songs too sweet and wild. So you let them go, or when you open the cage to feed them they somehow fly out pst you. And the part of you that knows it was wrong to imprison them in the first place rejoices, but still, the place where you live is that much more drab and empty for their departure

[hr]

Now I shout it from the highest hill
ally

Re:

Postby Scully on Thu May 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Unless your planning on buying lots of dinner and garden party tickets AND paying graduation tax (because your Scottish) it could cost over £2000. As I'm English and graduating this year, i can confirm that, no, it doesn't cost that- not even £1000.
Scully

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu May 12, 2005 5:04 pm

Quoting ally from 20:01, 12th May 2005

it's what you pay when you're scottish and don't pay tuition fees.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby babydyke on Thu May 12, 2005 5:58 pm

What if SAAS has paid all your tuition fees? Do you still have to pay £2000 endowment? to who? aaargh!
babydyke

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu May 12, 2005 6:45 pm

You also owe the SLC your soul...

You owe the endowment to SAAS, unless you enrolled in the year 99/00 uin which case you don't pay fees or endowment (go me!)

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/albanner.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby PurelySynthetic on Thu May 12, 2005 6:46 pm

Quoting babydyke from 20:58, 12th May 2005
What if SAAS has paid all your tuition fees? Do you still have to pay £2000 endowment? to who? aaargh!

It all depends what year you joined uni in. I joined before the endowment thing was added so i dont have to pay it. But my sister who joined two years after me has to.
PurelySynthetic

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Thu May 12, 2005 6:50 pm

OK, so, is anyone actually in a position whereby they are having their graduation costs payed for by anyone other than friends/family??

e.g. SAAS or your LEA or someone else?

[hr]

God save The Queen, long live Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories - Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby themanwiththehair on Thu May 12, 2005 7:35 pm

As far as im aware, most just take out another student loan to cover the graduate endownment thingy....
themanwiththehair

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu May 12, 2005 7:51 pm

Errr...graduate endowment is a walk in the park compared to the £4000+ worth of fees i've had to pay to study at St andrews. I won't even go into how much I owe the Student Loan Company!

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Yeh, Liam, you can take out a Student Loan for the Endowment, BUT...

Postby ClassicsGraduand on Thu May 12, 2005 9:14 pm

You're a prick. I think I can say that pretty openly with you agreeing to it.

All the same, here's an online testimony to friendship and the fact you still like me after I poured a can of strongbow on your crotch!
ClassicsGraduand

Re:

Postby Grandpa on Sat May 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Right, I think you might be confusing people.

I just read on another board that graduation itself only costs £43 or thereabouts.

Can you tell us what this graduation endowment is however??

[hr]

God save The Queen, long live Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories - Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.
We are gentlemen that neither in our hearts nor outward eyes envy the great nor shall the low despise.
Grandpa

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Sun May 15, 2005 7:10 am

The endowment is best described as the delayed tuition fee (or graduate fee) that students from Scotland pay at the end of their degree instead of paying upfront tuition fees like the students from England currently do.

And the £43 (or £44 that it is now) is the fee you have to pay to join the University council - which everyone has to pay in order to graduate.

Does that make sense to you Grandpa?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Rufus on Sun May 15, 2005 8:08 am

The graduate endowment wouldn't irk me as much as it does if it were more widely publicised.

As it stands, we Scots do end up owing less than our foreign counterparts, which I am grateful for. But the very fact that having our tuition fees paid for by the SAAS is held up as some sort of moral triumph by our feckless pointless politicians, only for them to turn around and say 'Hang on, that'll be two thousand pounds please. We couldn't have you entirely joyful at graduation, now, could we?'does sicken me somewhat.

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby md25 on Sun May 15, 2005 8:37 am

Graduation is free, but to graduate you need to join the General Council, which costs forty-odd quid. You also need to wear the appropriate academic dress, which costs about the same again to hire a gown and to satisfy the bizarre socks and bow tie requirements. There's also the Graduate Ball, garden parties and whatnot, which are strictly optional, expensive and apparently a bit shit.

Additionally, you do get charged two grand if you're Scottish, but they usually just tack it on to what you already owe the SLC, so it's not immediately crippling.
md25

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Sun May 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting Rufus from 11:08, 15th May 2005
But the very fact that having our tuition fees paid for by the SAAS is held up as some sort of moral triumph by our feckless pointless politicians,

I think the term you're looking for there isn't "politicians", it's actually LIB DEMS.

[hr]

[this section has been intentionally left blank]
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Sun May 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Cost of Graduation = Free.

General Council - free, perk of having been VPR
Graduate Endowment - free, perk of having started 2000/01 when they'd actually abolished fees without having got around to setting the replacement
All the rest - free, perk of hating this town and graduating in abstentia

[hr]

[this section has been intentionally left blank]
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby Melkor on Sun May 15, 2005 3:48 pm

Ok, so in which year did this £2000 thing start? 2001/2002? 2002/2003?
Melkor

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board