Home

TheSinner.net

Broken Computer

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Broken Computer

Postby The Badger Machine on Tue May 17, 2005 11:43 am

Please help me!

When I try to turn my computer on it just beeps at me and refuses to do anything else. It has done it everytime i've tried to turn it on for the past two days. Its really not good. Does anyone have idea idea whats wrong and more importantly how i can fix it? Cheers
The Badger Machine

Re:

Postby Registered User on Tue May 17, 2005 11:53 am

How many beeps? and are they long or short beeps? that can help to find out what the problem is because the computer uses that to say something's wrong before its got round to displaying stuff to screen.

Re:

Postby The Badger Machine on Tue May 17, 2005 12:25 pm

There are 6 beeps. I think they are long beeps.
Shouting at my computer for long periods has not motivated it to work.
Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
The Badger Machine

Re:

Postby Registered User on Tue May 17, 2005 12:38 pm

I doubt this will help, but see if you can borrow a keyboard from someone and see if that makes it work. I don't know why it would, but 6 beeps could be a keyboard chip error. Sorry I can't be more help, hopefully someone here will be!

Good Luck!

Re:

Postby amac on Tue May 17, 2005 1:22 pm

The beeps are an error message from the BIOS. Look up the manual for it (or go to the manufacturers site on the web) and see what that signal represents. It's not standard on every computer so it's probably not the keyboard (i don't see how that would cause problems anyway...).
amac

Re:

Postby The Badger Machine on Tue May 17, 2005 2:12 pm

I looked up the manufacturers (dell) website but the bios beep code my computer made 1 beep then 3 then 2 was not on the list. I now have less than no idea what to do. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
The Badger Machine

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue May 17, 2005 2:12 pm

Is it a computer or a laptop?

Either way, re-seat the memory, power cables, ide cables etc. Make sure the processor fan is working then try again.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Return to The Sinner's Main Board