Home

TheSinner.net

Union last night

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby paw paw on Mon May 23, 2005 12:24 pm

Well if you have already been in the union 3 times previous that night then I doubt that they are going to ask you for your matric card again and again throughout the night.

And dont you think that any of the bouncers that read this will just think its funny to keep up the 'bad' banter as they know that it annoys people?!?
paw paw

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Mon May 23, 2005 12:50 pm

No I disagree, if your going to have rules you've got to stick by them all night, whether or not someone leaves and returns several times over a course of the night.

In the 4 years of being at St.A that was the first time I felt bullied by the doorstaff, and more importantly I never provoked them. It is extremely unprofessional and I shall be taking it up with the correct authorities, I just hope the rest of you do too...

Only problem is how are you meant to complain when you dont know who the bouncers are? I just remember one being close to a skinhead.

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby paw paw on Mon May 23, 2005 12:56 pm

There are atleast 5 bouncers that are skinheads, so I would make sure you get the right one.

Maybe its just me but the majority of people at st andrews dont seem to have a sense of humour when it comes to banter!

Edit : cant spell :)
paw paw

Re:

Postby Sabre13 on Mon May 23, 2005 2:13 pm

Rules are rules is a silly Bureaucratic way of looking at it. The card is to show that your a student, and to let bouncers know who you are so they can check against past records/memory to see if your allowed in.

Now I know a few members of staff in the union and sometimes get in without my card - the bouncers know me, know im not going to cause any trouble, and know im a student. Hell they know more about me than they do about you with your little bit of plastic. I dont see this as favouritism but simply common sense, I feel sorry for people that dont get let in because often their friends are inside - I dont however think this means an across the board letter of the law style crap should be encouraged. Sometimes I get knocked back and other people get let in, take it on the chin and hope its a thursday or a saturday and everywhere else is open as long :P
Sabre13

Re:

Postby Al on Mon May 23, 2005 2:31 pm

Quoting Sabre13 from 17:13, 23rd May 2005
Rules are rules is a silly Bureaucratic way of looking at it. The card is to show that your a student, and to let bouncers know who you are so they can check against past records/memory to see if your allowed in.

Now I know a few members of staff in the union and sometimes get in without my card - the bouncers know me, know im not going to cause any trouble, and know im a student. Hell they know more about me than they do about you with your little bit of plastic. I dont see this as favouritism but simply common sense, I feel sorry for people that dont get let in because often their friends are inside - I dont however think this means an across the board letter of the law style crap should be encouraged. Sometimes I get knocked back and other people get let in, take it on the chin and hope its a thursday or a saturday and everywhere else is open as long :P

Perhaps it is silly and bureaucratic but it is also fair.
Al

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 pm

yeh i agree it would be a fair way of dealing with things...

but look at it this way...imagine u knew most of the bouncers...they knew you...knew you were a student who doesnt cause trouble...but because u forgot your card... you weren't allowed in.

You'd be furious!! It's a shame when you can't get in and others can; but the bouncers are just trying to do their jobs with as little hassle as possible.

If you feel bullied by them, or treated badly in any way...then i'm sure that wasn't their intention since they're job is to keep things running smoothly. They often do so by being (or trying to be) funny. So when you've had a few drinks, you're pissed off you're more likely to feel you're being victimised.

The best thing to do is- go home, get your card, come back and say "happy?"...

There's been a lot of complaints about the s3 guys recently and ive felt most comments were slightly OTT.
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon May 23, 2005 10:21 pm

thats not the point - its that the bouncers let in their freinds on the first time in the night without their matric card.
just because some people are mates with them or some girls have slept with them doesnt give them the right to be let into the union over someone who doesnt happen to know the bouncers.
just as it isnt fair for them not to let someone in that they dont like or that their latest **** buddie doesnt like!

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon May 23, 2005 10:21 pm

where are the cute guys that usually work there?

Re:

Postby White_Lightning on Mon May 23, 2005 10:27 pm

You know, in my four years at St.Andrews I don't have any complaints about the bouncers. I just remember when I was in first year, and only 16, that they used to give me "stern warnings", along the lines of:

"Touch a drop of alcohol and we will ban you forever you little bastard," etc.

I'm exagerating slightly, but I've never had any complaints about them. I forgot my card once, and had to go home for it, and that was about 4 weeks into my first semester of university. After that I always made sure I was carrying my matric card with me.

So if you forget your card, instead of complaining about it, just make sure you have it on you at all times. Keep it in your wallet, then your much less likely to forget it, since most people going out for the night usually have their wallet with them.

I don't agree that they let people in without a card, but I also don't think that people shouldn't be careless enough to forget it. I think it something that should always be on your person, for any kind of identification. So in future make sure you have your card with you, then you won't have anything to complain about, you can just get on with your evening and forget all about them.
White_Lightning

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 23, 2005 10:36 pm

I think the general concern is that some people get let in without cards, whilst some are refused entry. Regardless of whether they bouncer knows the person or not, they should be refused. For example, they could have given their card to a non-student, who could then use it to attempt to gain access (clearly this would require some degree of similarity between the two people).

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby paw paw on Mon May 23, 2005 11:11 pm

My advice to anybody who doesnt like the bouncers for whatever reason is the next time they turn you away or you see them letting someone in who doesnt show their matric card(when you can clearly see that they know them!) would be to tell them that you are going to bitch about it on the sinner and im sure it will make them think twice!
paw paw

Re:

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Tue May 24, 2005 12:49 am

great advice pauline! :-P

yeh zombie sheep...i suppose ive never really thought of that side of it before...

i suppose im just glad i can get in without a card and to be fair...i ALWAYS have it with me just dont always need to show it.

lol, im not sure the the ****buddy comment was aimed at me...but em...how about nooooooooo.....
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue May 24, 2005 10:27 am

How about 'yes'? ;)
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue May 24, 2005 11:06 am

Get over it all ready.

What's that phrase about the brevity of life and all that...?

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue May 24, 2005 11:28 am

I think the real issue is perhaps that so many are so mentally deficient as to go out on Thursday-Saturday obviously intending to go to the Union but don't take their matriculation card which is a GUARNTEED way of getting in.

If you're that much of a dullard, I'm sure someone can staple your matric card to your head.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue May 24, 2005 12:15 pm

Sure I can understand that argument, but for the sake of presentation they should always ask for a matric card...or else you will just invite trouble from other drunks who dont have their cards and get p*ssed off that others are being let in. The simple thing to do is to ask everyone whether you know them or not for their card and then no one can complain!

It really is so simple, and ultimately the only reason it should be fully enforced is to avoid further trouble

Quoting Sabre13 from 17:13, 23rd May 2005

[hr]

Paranoid

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Tue May 24, 2005 12:53 pm

Stop complaining about it on the sinner and just stop going to the fucking union. Its pish anyway!

[hr]

IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/pantera3
Is there no standard anymore?
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Tue May 24, 2005 12:57 pm

Couldn't one of your pals sign you in (just out of interest)

[hr]

'What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...'
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue May 24, 2005 1:33 pm

Couldn't one of your pals sign you in (just out of interest)

[hr]

'What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...'
Thackary

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Tue May 24, 2005 11:07 pm

During the week, members can sign in up to two guests until 11 pm (cost is 50p). The guest should have ID.

For weekends, the guests should be signed in by 4:45 on Friday and the cost is £1 for the whole weekend.

Side note: I always take out my matric or staff card and get the piss taken out of me for it. But... er... I think people can agree that me taking out my card every single night is a bit extreme. Do you not?
Director of Services

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board