Home

TheSinner.net

Union last night

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Union last night

Postby Paranoid on Sun May 22, 2005 3:08 pm

Did anyone else find the Union doorstaff really depressing last night? I mean sure I dont expect a friendly smile all the time, but the guys were just determined to cause hassle...first they gave me really poor banter about being barred after looking at my card.

Not that I really cared about such a remark, I just said it was a shame as I'd just finished uni and walked on in...but THEN they came out with even lamer crap about being "overjoyed" for me, they were like a bunch of schoolkids and in a way made me glad to be leaving the shit-hole (a.k.a. Union) this summer!

...and to be honest, if your going to give crap banter, at least make it entertaining and mature enough for the audience concerned!!

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby gringo on Sun May 22, 2005 3:26 pm

maybe you're just being paranoid!
gringo

Re:

Postby Ellie on Sun May 22, 2005 3:35 pm

Yeah, the same guys were on last saturday... I didn't have my matric card so they wouldn't let me in. I thought this was fair enough until they let two girls in (both without matric cards...) and then had a good laugh about it. I had four people vouching that I was a student, numerous other types of ID, and about five discount cards saying I'm a student but they still turned me away and called out 'what a bitch' as I walked away. It really ruined my night.
Ellie

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sun May 22, 2005 3:54 pm

I have already made clear my feelings about the door staff, unfortunately that thread was deleted shortly after I started it, but I do find them somewhat ridiculous at times. I mean, I understand they get shit off drunk students regularly, but they really shouldn't be taking their roles as seriously as they do.

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby theflirt on Sun May 22, 2005 5:32 pm

Their authority (i.e being able to refuse people entry) has gone straight to their heads!! They give remarks to everyone now, occasionally nice, more then often they are just being arseholes!

The best one i have had - 'this clearly isn't you my love, your hair is shorter' my reply 'OMG, you wouldn't expect someones hair to grow now would you? It's a terrible habbit of mine'

[hr]

Oh pants!
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby P*ssed off on Sun May 22, 2005 6:29 pm

The tall shaved headed one that works at the union ALL the time seems to have a REAL ATTITUDE PROBLEM! What is up with that?!
P*ssed off

Re:

Postby firey on Sun May 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Having worked for S3 for a while, I would suggest that you bring up your relevant complaints with the relevant authorities at the Union. Those being either Phil or Bruce (just ask at the porters' box).

I am sick of seeing threads on the sinner complaining about the doorstaff. I agree with your points, and I believe that the current Union doorstaff are awful. However, nothing is going to be changed by bitching on the sinner about it.

I am not in a position to complain about my colleagues, before someone suggests that. The ball is in your court as users of the Union, you need to explain to the people who make decisions about staffing that you feel uncomfortable with the current staff.
firey

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun May 22, 2005 8:17 pm

Quoting P*ssed off from 21:04, 22nd May 2005
The tall shaved headed one that works at the union ALL the time seems to have a REAL ATTITUDE PROBLEM! What is up with that?!

He said hello to me twice after he recognized me. I was quite surprised

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby paw paw on Sun May 22, 2005 9:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with the bouncers to the union/vic/raisin! They are all really nice guys, and Ellie it was me and my friend that got in without our matric cards cos we know the bouncers but it costs us lolly pops or chocolate anytime we go into pubs so think yourself lucky.

I dont understand people who dont like the bouncers! They are really nice guys and look hot in their uniforms!! :)
paw paw

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun May 22, 2005 9:46 pm

Quoting firey from 23:14, 22nd May 2005

I am sick of seeing threads on the sinner complaining about the doorstaff. I agree with your points, and I believe that the current Union doorstaff are awful. However, nothing is going to be changed by bitching on the sinner about it.

Word up, too many people with genuine grievances but seem to spend their vitriol on the Sinner. I'd say though, that the doorstaff are a mixed bag though.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun May 22, 2005 10:14 pm

Union bouncers, hot? I know I'm a straight male and everything, but, just, no.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby paw paw on Sun May 22, 2005 10:39 pm

I didnt say ALL the bouncers were hot but most of them are! I could name a few anyway!
And its because your a straight male that dont find them hot!
paw paw

Aye!

Postby Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!! on Sun May 22, 2005 11:40 pm

If you don't have a matric card...they won't let you in....and for a very good reason!

I'm sure if an S3 guy was to let in anyone off the street and something went wrong then there'd be even more bitchy comments about that on the sinner!!!!!

Grow up ladies and gents.... if you want into the union; take your matric card! If not then get signed in within the time limit! It's not hard!

The bouncers are hot.

xxxxx
Wee Nic the Dobber!!!!!

Re:

Postby bramble on Mon May 23, 2005 10:20 am

Personally ive never had any problems either, my flatmate got let in after a bit of banter without her matric card - but showing other relevant ID and being vouched for. I think it helps that we werent blind drunk and it was early in the evening but, if you give them shit, especially acting up if you are drunk then you cant expect them to not make a sarcastic comment or two.
Finally we all just have to accept that they are there to do a job and they do not need to be friendly all the time, although it is nice when they are.

[hr]

A dream is a wish your heart makes, when youre fast asleep. In dreams you lose your heartache and whatever you wish for you keep
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Mon May 23, 2005 10:38 am

I've only had one encounter with the door staff when they made fun of me being completely pissed and not being able to walk in a straight line, while actually I had injured my leg and couldn't walk properly even though I was absolutely sober (I think I mentioned before that I don't drink - ever). However, my "stop- that-right-now-or-I-will-make-you-never-have-
children-glance" shut them up quite quickly...

as for the bouncers, don't know if they are hot but one of them certainly broke my heart :(

[hr]

Mein Heimweh und meine Liebe,
Der Welt und allem Lärm entflohn,
Hat sich in deinen dunklen Augen
Erbaut einen heimlichen Königsthron.
Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon May 23, 2005 10:56 am

I was in the Union last night and got a big hello from George. Awesome.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon May 23, 2005 11:07 am

Bring your matric card if you want to get into the union.
Simple.

If you have a complaint, bring it to the attention of the manager on duty, or come in the following day (often better to discuss things with a clear head), and talk to Phil or Bruce. Both are contactable via the General Office on the middle floor.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Al on Mon May 23, 2005 11:51 am

Quoting thackary from 14:07, 23rd May 2005
Simple.

If you have a complaint, bring it to the attention of the manager on duty, or come in the following day (often better to discuss things with a clear head), and talk to Phil or Bruce. Both are contactable via the General Office on the middle floor.

If you are going to have such a rule then it should be enforced for everyone. The door staff should not be allowed to let matric card-less people in merely because they know them. I am sure that the Union would not tolerate members of staff turning a blind eye to their friends breaking other rules.
Al

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Mon May 23, 2005 11:55 am

Quoting thackary from 14:07, 23rd May 2005
Simple.

I thought the issue that had been highlighted in this thread was that bouncers were letting people in without matric cards not that people were complaining about not being let when they forget their matric cards?

Either enforce the must have matric card rule or let everyone in who forgets them.

It shouldn't matter if the bouncer knows them or not - rules are rules..
harmless loony

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Mon May 23, 2005 11:57 am

whoops ok Al got there first with the same comment...

but the point still remains.
harmless loony

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board