Home

TheSinner.net

The Cellar (?)

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Cellar (?)

Postby McK on Mon May 23, 2005 12:22 pm

I heard last week that Malcolm commented somewhere - in the local press, I think - that The Cellar Bar might have to close down. (Owing, of course, to all that vicious licensing nonsense stirred up by the Tudor.) I know he posts here sometimes. Is this true? I hope it isn't. Despite the fact that I am leaving next month it's too much to bear thinking of a Cellar-less St Andrews.
McK

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 23, 2005 1:49 pm

That would be a shocker.

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Bitterandtwisted on Mon May 23, 2005 2:03 pm

Torch the Tudor!!!

Um... I mean... Commiting crimes or inciting others to do so is naughty and should be reported to the police.

But the Tudor can still suck my shlong.

[hr]

Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
[img:2ysfvhns]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/dm35.jpg[/img:2ysfvhns]
Bitterandtwisted

Re:

Postby flossy on Mon May 23, 2005 4:03 pm

What's happened? What did the Tudor do? Except the crime against humanity that is wine on tap. I've been in a revision bubble so know nothing of this.

[hr]

Rippy up yeah, onde danceflo, widde moocow, swoss there fo.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Mon May 23, 2005 4:09 pm

I hope thats just an ugly rumour. Theres just something about that pub. Last time I went back to St Andrews that was the first place I went to.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby McK on Mon May 23, 2005 4:22 pm

Quoting flossy from 19:03, 23rd May 2005
What's happened? What did the Tudor do? Except the crime against humanity that is wine on tap. I've been in a revision bubble so know nothing of this.

[hr]

Rippy up yeah, onde danceflo, widde moocow, swoss there fo.

It happened a while back. Take a look at this thread...
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=11883

I wrote to the Licensing Court, as did many others. Malcolm and Barbara got literally hundreds, maybe thousand or so signatures -- I'm sure they can give you the correct figure -- in support, but still the Licensing Board seems intent on not granting them a new late licence. And yes, it was the landlord of the Tudor who filed the complaint about them thus triggering the sad and rapid withdrawal of said licence.
McK

Outragious!

Postby Slash wannabe on Mon May 23, 2005 4:53 pm

Poorly done image follows:

IMAGE:img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/o_t4ng/trodgord.jpg

Disclaimer: This user does not promote the use of burnination by trogdor to destroy the tudor.

[hr]

Is there no standard anymore?
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon May 23, 2005 4:57 pm

Marvelous graphic!
Could do with said bastard(s) runnning around on fire while everyone points and laughs
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 23, 2005 4:58 pm

Magic.

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Mon May 23, 2005 5:19 pm

Ah, nothing like the politics of beer to motivate students into action...

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Mon May 23, 2005 6:29 pm

This is more important than beer, it's about right and wrong, defending those who have had injustices thrust upon them, and so on. Besides, they also do spirits.

[hr]

'I bet you a florin that the chap will turn out guilty.'
'I bet you a dubloon that you win that bet.'
thePontificator

Don't Panic!! -)

Postby The Cellar Bar on Mon May 23, 2005 7:09 pm

First off - 0nce again huge thanks for the support we've had over the past few months because of this nonsense. That's been mindblowing in itself. Sometimes you can not notice that you're maybe making an impact but by Christ the support we've had has lifted us and sustained us beyond description.

Second off - DONT PANIC. We ain't going no place on account of this Special Other Business in the town. Outside of the cul-de-sac know as St. Andrews, every single lawyer we've spoken to regards this affair as missing certain legal niceties. Like conforming to the law f'rinstance. And we've one on the case right now. That'll take time to see to fruition but we're more than just hopeful of the outcome. When the Police speak out in our defence, when the Board itself admits that we've sone nothing wrong, you've gotta feel that there is justice somewhere in the world.

In the meantime, you can still help us. The petitipon right now is approaching 2,000 signatures. If you ain't signed it yet it would be really helpful if you could get in and put that straight -)

Secondly, part of the Tudor's TRADE objection - they're taking business away from us so take away his License please - includes the claim that customers are responsible for vandalism and anti-social behaviour in the street at the end of the night. If you object to this accusation against yourselves, the man to write to is
Mr. Frank Jensen
Clerk to the Board,
Fife Council,
County Buildings
CUPAR KY15 4TA

Over the past 20 years, we know Mr. Jensen to be a decent and honourable man who will listen to all objections which are made courteously and with respect. He is not a member of the Board but is responsible for putting all relevant information in front of it.

Once again, very many thanks for your help and support. It's effect has been immeasurable and we are both incredibly grateful for it.
The Cellar Bar

Re:

Postby tintin on Tue May 24, 2005 6:47 am

Good luck with it all - haven't signed the petition yet but will be in this week to do so! Otherwise where else would I buy that ownderful cherry beer in St Andrews?

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mat_salleh
tintin

Re:

Postby The Cellar Bar on Tue May 24, 2005 10:05 pm

Quoting tintin from 09:47, 24th May 2005
Good luck with it all - haven't signed the petition yet but will be in this week to do so!

thanks for that - it's much appreciated :)

Someone mentioned "vicious" in their post. And they aren't too far off the mark. This campaign against us began about 2 years ago now with a newspaper article from the "man" himself.

And then we had a real beauty which shows up the calibre of the people involved. Three weeks after the application to continue was rejected by the Board, the lawyer representing the Tudor turned up in the bar. No seriously...this "professional" had the gall to turn up in the bar and proceded to get totaly hammered. First temptation was to bounce the clown out but I just bit the bullet and let him get on with it. But can you imagine it happening anywhere else. That the person responsible for something like that, then turns up in the place. And gets to live.

Less than an hour after his arrival, the Police turn up following an anonymous telephone complaint about the noise from the Live Music we had on. First visit in two years!! Join the dots, guys.

10 minutes before our "new" closing time, he tumbles out of the bar - nicking one of my glasses in the process. And is found lurking in a shop doorway just down the street. First act of "anti-social behaviour" we've had in a couple of years. Hidden from view - but presumably armed with a mobile phone if he feels the need to use it. Join the dots, guys.

I don't think I've come across anything like it before in this town. Most - practically every - other business in the town I can cope with. I don't bad mouth anywhere else because we've all got a living to make. But this whole malignant campaign against us is something that a)we don't understand and b) pretty much aren't prepared to tolerate. Life can be crappy enough without this kinda thing but he'll go before we do.
The Cellar Bar

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue May 24, 2005 10:11 pm

It'll just be jealousy that The Cellar is the pub most students, lecturers, locals...and, of course, non-locals hold dear.

Nothing comes close.

Nothing.

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue May 24, 2005 10:15 pm

I'm baffled by this whole affair. On two principal grounds, to whit: a) Aikman's/The Cellar Bar is one of the longest-established, most popular and locally-owned and managed bars in St Andrews; and b) the Tudor is (only my personal opinion here, folks) an utter shit-hole. I used to live next to the Tudor, and, while it was never my watering hole of choice (as Malcolm and Barbara will attest, actually), I found it inoffensive and occasionally, if I was feeling very lazy, I would pop in for a quick pint. But behaviour of this kind causes me radically to revise my opinions. Alas, I'm no longer in a position seriously to change my drinking habits, as I'm not in St Andrews any more, but really, it's all a bit thick. I sincerely hope that the Council will see sense and restore the late licence to Aikman's forthwith. If they authorise a fire-bombing campaign against the Tudor, then that's an added bonus, but...

Best of luck, Malcolm.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue May 24, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting The Cellar Bar from 01:05, 25th May 2005
Quoting tintin from 09:47, 24th May 2005
Good luck with it all - haven't signed the petition yet but will be in this week to do so!

10 minutes before our "new" closing time, he tumbles out of the bar - nicking one of my glasses in the process. And is found lurking in a shop doorway just down the street. First act of "anti-social behaviour" we've had in a couple of years. Hidden from view - but presumably armed with a mobile phone if he feels the need to use it. Join the dots, guys.

That is positively revolting.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Wed May 25, 2005 7:40 am

Quoting The Cellar Bar from 01:05, 25th May 2005
Three weeks after the application to continue was rejected by the Board, the lawyer representing the Tudor turned up in the bar. No seriously...this "professional" had the gall to turn up in the bar and proceded to get totaly hammered. First temptation was to bounce the clown out but I just bit the bullet and let him get on with it.
[...]
Less than an hour after his arrival, the Police turn up following an anonymous telephone complaint about the noise from the Live Music we had on. First visit in two years!!

You should have taken the opportunity to shop him to the fuzz for being drunk and disorderly or something.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed May 25, 2005 12:26 pm

I'll come in and sign the petition before I take the long walk home, FOREVER (at least until I decide to come visit) but really I have to echo the sentiment of everyone else here.

The Cellar/Aikman's if cursed by a carcinogenic fog at times is probably one of the best bars in town in terms of ambience and selections of beers and just general all-around niceness.

I hadn't darkened the doors of the Tudor until Saturday, despite my years here at St. Andrews and really I didn't care for it very much. For them to think that undermining the Cellar will in some way benefit them is wrong. Dead wrong.

But who knows, perhaps the Cellar Bar killed the Tudor Inn's parents or something. If that isn't the case though, this is just short sighted petulant nonsense on behalf of those persecuting the Cellar and for what it's worth, the Cellar has my full support.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Return to The Sinner's Main Board