Home

TheSinner.net

academic prizes

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

academic prizes

Postby Guest on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:21 am

does anyone know if they have any academic prizes yet? when do people know if they do have one? does it show on the record card? or does the department write?

Re:

Postby physicist on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:08 pm

Quoting from 21:44, 10th Jun 2005
does anyone know if they have any academic prizes yet? when do people know if they do have one? does it show on the record card? or does the department write?

The department (may) write to tell you, but that would have happened last week. During the summer, the Finance department will send a cheque if you you have any (money-based) prizes. Sometimes you do not know until the record card is updated or you are requested to collect your medal(s) months later.
physicist

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:28 pm

When I won the Lydia Elizabeth Malcolm Prize for Scottish history six or seven years ago, the department never actually told me. I just received a mysterious cheque from the cash office (and, of course, banked it as soon as possible).

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Iain on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:09 pm

I had a Geology prize last year, I got a letter out about two weeks after the results came out. But then, it took 8 months for the medal to appear. Funny that. EDIT: Just won another couple, spot on!!

[hr]

Schist, Dykes and Rock 'n' Roll-Type Deposits.
Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby physicist on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 15:28, 13th Jun 2005
When I won the Lydia Elizabeth Malcolm Prize for Scottish history six or seven years ago, the department never actually told me. I just received a mysterious cheque from the cash office (and, of course, banked it as soon as possible).

Physics was just the same when I received the prize with the cheque just appearing - nobody had told me until then. The medal was available about May Day the following year. Oddly, medals gained in Senior Honours manage to appear at graduation!
physicist

Re:

Postby Melkor on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:37 pm

There used to be a webpage on the university website which had the list of all the different prizes, classified by department. Does this page still exist? I can seem to find it, thanks to the crappy search engine on the Uni website...
Melkor

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Quoting Eliot Wilson from 15:28, 13th Jun 2005

Snap - the same thing happened to me when I was an undergrad in Scottish History, although it was a different prize. They don't seem to be the most efficient of departments! I actually rang them up to check if the prize really was for me or not before paying it in!

And in answer to the original poster, yes, it does show on your record card.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby purplesalamander on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:18 pm

I won 3 medals in my first year, and never heard a thing about going to collect them-I\'m about to graduate! You\'d think they\'d have sorted them out after 4 years.
purplesalamander

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:12 am

You won't necessarily know yet.

I didn't get a medal but I did get £150 for the Lorimer Prize last summer.

I wasn't told til 3 days before my ceremony would have been (I didn't graduate last year as I missed the semester, you know the story!)

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/

If the NHS cares for you from the cradle to the grave...I must've died YEARS ago....
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby kat29 on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:11 am

kat29

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:41 pm

Quoting kat29 from 13:11, 15th Jun 2005
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/publication ... ndex.shtml

From that site:

Sloan Prize (£1200)-For the best essay, short story, play or poetry (maximum of five poems), submitted in the Lowland Scots vernacular. Submissions must be in the hands of the Clerk of Senate by 1st January.

$$$ Cha-ching!

Someone must be cleaning up on this one...

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

I tried for that one, but sadly failed miserably to win anything :(

Yes, I'm desperate for dosh :(

[hr]

If the NHS cares for you from the cradle to the grave...I must've died YEARS ago....
KateBush

Re:

Postby zuza on Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:33 pm

Yep they're crazy - i just noticed that a medal for a module sat in 1st semester has just appeared on my record card. Random - but a nice surprise!
zuza

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Quoting kat29 from 13:11, 15th Jun 2005
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/publication ... ndex.shtml

Anyone know when the big university prizes are announced? Just curious to know what kind of average the winners usually have... (Of course I know that I don't really stand a chance with a 17.3 average, but just curious)

[quote]Miller Prizes (Arts £800, Science £750)-(a) Awarded to the most distinguished student in the Faculty of Arts who has completed his or her entire course and taken his or her degree during the year. (b) Awarded to the most distinguished student in the Faculty of Science who has completed his or her entire course and taken his or her degree during the year.[\quote]

Re:

Postby chills on Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:06 pm

I know the girl who's won the miller prize for science this year. She had outstanding marks in all her modules and had (as far as I’ve heard) only one grade that was not a 1st. She regularly got 18's over all, and 20 in course work.
chills

Re:

Postby purplesalamander on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:27 am

Just out of interest- what degree was she doing?
purplesalamander

Re:

Postby purplesalamander on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:27 am

Just out of interest- what degree was she doing?
purplesalamander

Re:

Postby G. on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:11 am

Geoscience, and thats one of the most time consuming subjects in the uni, so fair play to her.
G.

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:18 am

Just out of interest, a quick look on my student record card this morning revealed a medal (woo). Not sure whether this just applies to medical sciences or to all subjects.

[hr]

Will Watson. Medical Student. Cake Lover.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby KateBush on Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:48 pm

congrats beloved son! :-D which one is it?- different form the one you were telling me about before? well done anyhoo! x x

[hr]

KateBush

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board