Home

TheSinner.net

No Royal Favouritism by the University, MY ARSE!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby fran on Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:33 am

Out of curiosity (I'm ushering too, so even more curious), what were the exceptions? What did that mail say? And WHO is ushering at his ceremony anyways? I heard that it will be secret service agents. Certainly not any of us, the students!

Edited some spelling mistakes
fran

Re:

Postby Vice Principal Ambassador on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:22 am

Fran,

How did you get involved in the ushering as this normally goes through the Ambassadors and yet this year we have been left in the dark??
Vice Principal Ambassador

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting md25 from 10:46, 16th Jun 2005
As much as he may act otherwise, a future king is intrinsically different from the rest of us, and so will always be treated differently.

Exactly! So why all this pretence that he is just like everybody else and should be treated as such; until of course Gran and Grandad have to come for a visit, and it puts everyone else out, who, like the previous poster said, have come to university to further themselves in life, and not just to kid on that they aren't a future monarch.

Wanted: Future head of state for small European Island. Candidates must be blue blooded, well mannered, have all neccesary heirs and graces and at least a 2:1 in Geography from a reputable Institution.
Apply HRH QE2, Windsor, UK.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/caperbanner.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Rufus on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:47 am

Oh come on. It's hardly putting anyone out.

Stop grumbling and look forward to graduating.

Edit: I quoted Supertramp then thought better of it.

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby fran on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:14 pm

Quoting Vice Principal Ambassador Kanza from 14:22, 16th Jun 2005
Fran,

How did you get involved in the ushering as this normally goes through the Ambassadors and yet this year we have been left in the dark??

Odd question. Quite easily: I just asked at Registry.
fran

Re:

Postby steerpike on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:56 pm

Surely Prince William having his whole family round is more of a security hazard as opposed to him inviting only three others?

I mean, wouldnt it be really REALLY dangerous (and stupid security wise) if you had the whole family of royals in one place at the same time? im thinking along the lines of the prince's 21st b-day bash a year or so ago, which was gatecrashed by Aaron Barschak - a stand-up comedian disguised as Osama bin Laden in drag. OK, so this guy wasnt a real terrorist, but if he had been and had he detonated himself, he could have taken out the entire family in one attack.

It's just one other reason why William should have a number-restriction for his guests to his graduation - less of a security risk, less costs, less grumbling, more equal. the end.

[hr]

Nothing is easier than to condemn the evildoer, nothing is harder than to understand him.

F.Dostoevsky
steerpike

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:01 pm

they'll just change the word "studies" to "studied"
Quoting flarewearer from 23:08, 15th Jun 2005
I suppose now that good prince bill shall be with us no longer the BBC will have to reverse its' editorial policy instituted over the last 4 years ensuring that every time the words "St Andrews" appear in print or are spoken, the phrase "where Prince William studies" must be inserted strategically just before or after.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/caperbanner.png

[hr]

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Vice Principal Ambassador on Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Nothing odd about the question Fran - it's just that it isn't the way things are normally organised that's all!

No offence was meant towards you.
Vice Principal Ambassador

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:23 pm

Quoting Gealle from 21:25, 15th Jun 2005
Has anyone else just read the latest to hit the press?

While the rest of us will only be allocated (well, have been allocated) three tickets for guests as a maximum unless we're fortunate enough to be at a certain couple of ceremonies where tickets might be available on the morning, Prince William's having the whole bloody family round for his graduation ceremony.

Some of us go worrying over which relatives not to ask out of worry that we will upset another, and the university reneges on its stance that all students would be treated as equally as possible.

HO! LANG! GO GET FUCKED!

I wonder if you've raised this point with the organisers of the graduation ceremony, or whether you're just bitching about it on the internet?

Anyway, you're just bitter because you didn't get the classification you wanted...
Light the Rag

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:19 pm

Actually, I got a 2.1, which is the classification ABOVE that I was expecting.

I have emailed the Principal and Chancellor of the university with my views on this matter.

I think you're a prick.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby pinkymoo on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:54 pm

Someone who i know has a friend whose son is graduating on the same day as the prince..his family members and friends he has coming to his graduation, instead of being excited for their son and being proud and being able to enjoy the fact that their son has done well to graduate, they are being made to fill out disclosure forms and suchlike...for protection and shit....i think that is so unfair, and kinda ruins it for them...
pinkymoo

Re:

Postby KateBush on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:36 pm

It doesn't ruin it. They still get to see him graduate. I came very close to not graduating at all cos I was so poorly at one stage- I wouldn't care who was going to be at my ceremony, as long as the people who saw me through it all (my parents) were there to see it.

I'm so blessed to be graduating at all. But I'll agree that it is a bit naughty that the royals are getting more tickets than the rest of us. Loads of my family would love to have come, as none of us has ever been to university before.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/

If the NHS cares for you from the cradle to the grave...I must've died YEARS ago....
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:14 pm

Quoting katebush from 21:36, 16th Jun 2005
I'm so blessed to be graduating at all. But I'll agree that it is a bit naughty that the royals are getting more tickets than the rest of us. Loads of my family would love to have come, as none of us has ever been to university before.

though looking at what the papers were saying, he's using up his 3 tickets for granny, dad and stepmum - the rest is just for the entourage that the state needs to provide, which can't really be helped. so he isn't really using up extra tickets. if he was taking along granny, grandad, dad, stepmum, brother, etc then it might be a bit off.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:15 pm

Bloody Hell, Will's coming in for a bit of a bashing here isnt he! In my opinion, lots of you are just using this news to jump back on the old royal-bashing bandwagon. how many of you would actually be bringing more than three members of your family to see you graduate, i certainly wouldnt want my entire lot annoying me and trying to get in the way of me having a good time. Even if you did want to bring more, i dont think its as if in previous years you could bring your entire family from all over the world if you wanted 2! Will comes in for so much shit, but its not as if he's directly affects your lives in many ways as university, from what i've noticed its just made more girls come to the uni! he's made entrance criteria stricter and thus adding more weight to your degrees as St Andy's is now regarded as a harder institution to get into. i love the royals and appreciate that lots of you dont, but come on, your only getting a piece of paper.

Re:

Postby purplesalamander on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:27 pm

Actually, he is using more than 3 tickets- apparently Phillip's coming too.
purplesalamander

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:05 am

I love the Royal Family dearly, and I am somewhat dissapointed that we cannot have some more members coming and taking up seats at graduation. I do hope that they are shown special favouritism, and I would write a very strongly worded letter of complaint if HM The Queen was asked to sit in a plastic seat next to my parents. She's the Head of State, and we are all her citizens (whether you think so or not), and so I would be mortified if Brian Lang and co. thought that this was an appropriate way to treat a monarch. And as someone mentioned, it is a shame that the Monaco Royal Family aren't coming. I want my graduation to be the best one in recent memory, and it's looking that way.
Long live the Queen, and the British Monarchy.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby A66 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:17 am

Quoting Mr Comedy from 12:05, 17th Jun 2005
I love the Royal Family dearly, and I am somewhat dissapointed that we cannot have some more members coming and taking up seats at graduation. I do hope that they are shown special favouritism, and I would write a very strongly worded letter of complaint if HM The Queen was asked to sit in a plastic seat next to my parents. She's the Head of State, and we are all her citizens (whether you think so or not), and so I would be mortified if Brian Lang and co. thought that this was an appropriate way to treat a monarch. And as someone mentioned, it is a shame that the Monaco Royal Family aren't coming. I want my graduation to be the best one in recent memory, and it's looking that way.
Long live the Queen, and the British Monarchy.

God I hope your taking the piss
A66

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 am

We are subjects, rather than "citizens", of Her Majesty The Queen, Mr Comedy.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:32 am

If Mr Comedy isn't taking the piss, then should we really be surprised? Take a look around St Andrews... Most of them are royalists.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Why such love for a group of people you've (probably) never met?

Postby steerpike on Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:06 am

Roylaists baffle me. Especially the younger ones.

Sure, I can understand my grandparents harping on about the contribution of the monarchy to the country during the Second World War - my grandmother in particular won't hear a bad world about the royals for their decision to stick it out in London during the blitz. but anyone from any other generation, Im afriad, i have difficulty in understanding their love for this living soap opera that we call the Royal family. (no pun intended, i meant the Windsors, not the TV series.)

And dont give me that 'it's part of our identity' crap. Identity my arse - they've always struck me as functioning as a living safety blanket for traditionalists, tories, and, sadly, my grandmothers generation.

Well at least she had a reasonable excuse.

*awaits backlash*

[hr]

Nothing is easier than to condemn the evildoer, nothing is harder than to understand him.

F.Dostoevsky
steerpike

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board