Home

TheSinner.net

Independence Day for All

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby lauremw on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:40 pm

Or how about "A Midsummer Night's Piss-up", because that's what it is in its most basic form. ;) It just happens to be on a holiday for some. All inclusive, all welcoming, all celebrating for one reason or another.

[hr]

~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Rilla on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:47 pm

Other reasons to celebrate july 4th:

(though this is assuming everyone is a catholic... potentially offending some people...) :P

July 4
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/0704.htm
[hr]

"O unworn world enrapture me, enrapture me in a web
Of fabulous grass and eternal voices by a beech"
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Sunflower on Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:02 pm

The point is to have a party and 'throw off the shackles' of work. GET OVER IT! Is it really that important? i don't know about you but I am looking forward to just hanging out and socializing. We don't have to hang flags, wear tacky America shirts OR sing the American national anthem. MOVE ON!
Sunflower

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:35 pm

Quoting Sunflower from 16:02, 29th Jun 2005
The point is to have a party and 'throw off the shackles' of work.

Actually, the point of a 4th of July Party is to justify expenditure on ludicrous amounts of fireworks.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:54 pm

Surely the fireworks themselves are the justification for the expenditure?

Or is that simply me enjoying fireworks too much?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:54 pm

It's St. Andrews - alcoholism needs no excuse.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ian McFarlane on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:31 am

The 4th of July is the wrong day to 'celebrate' American Independence. The Declaration was in fact signed on the 2 July, but a mistake by Jefferson in a letter led to the misdating.

So, you now have reason to get rat-arsed twice, happy days.

It should, of course, be a sombre day of mourning though.
Ian McFarlane

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:13 am

Quoting Rachel Marsh from 18:03, 27th Jun 2005
Bring your own bottle ...

Surely even a Union front organisation like the PG Soc wouldn't be advocating breaking the law by consuming alcohol on the beach, would it?

Re:

Postby Thackary on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:17 am

Consumption of alcohol below the high water mark is totally legal, and with permission from the Police and Fife Council, PGsoc won't be breaking any laws, nor doing anything else they shouldn't.
Thackary

Re:

Postby rae on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting Ian McFarlane from 11:31, 30th Jun 2005

And the 1st is Canada Day which is an even better excuse to go get pished!

[hr]

In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:45 am

You could be partying on the 4th to celebrate the success of the latest NASA mission, Deep Impact, which is meant to be turning a comet into a big astronomical firework. :-)

Or not. :-P
Colin

Re:

Postby Rilla on Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:23 pm

Just wanted to say it was a great night at East Sands - well done Rachel for organising the whole thing!

[hr]

"O unworn world enrapture me, enrapture me in a web
Of fabulous grass and eternal voices by a beech"
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:40 pm

'Union front organisation'? Who do you think we are, the IRA?
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Rennie on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:09 pm

Slightly off subject, but where did you find out about the high tide line law thackary? I've heard it many times, but I've never found anything concrete to back it up. And I can't be arsed speaking to the police.
Rennie

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:42 pm

I always read that it was signed over several days, and they later just chose the 4th because July 3rd-10th (or whatever) 1776 would just look silly.
Quoting Ian McFarlane from 11:31, 30th Jun 2005
The 4th of July is the wrong day to 'celebrate' American Independence. The Declaration was in fact signed on the 2 July, but a mistake by Jefferson in a letter led to the misdating.

It should, of course, be a sombre day of mourning though.

[hr]

boo!
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby little headache on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting novium from 02:42, 6th Jul 2005
I always read that it was signed over several days, and they later just chose the 4th because July 3rd-10th (or whatever) 1776 would just look silly.

Technically, I think it was written and passed on July 2, but I don't think it was published until July 4th. The original document only got a couple signatures on July 4, and received the full number over the course of several years (perhaps even a decade).

Then again, this is just what I remember from reading a lot of books on the Revolution; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
little headache

Re:

Postby novium on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:38 am

this is what wikipedia says (although they are far from perfect)
Though the Fourth of July is almost iconic to Americans, some claim the date itself is somewhat arbitrary. New Englanders had been fighting Britain since April 1775. The first motion in the Continental Congress for independence was made on June 8. After hard debate, the Congress voted unanimously (12-0), but secretly, for independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain on July 2. The Congress reworked the text of the Declaration until a little after eleven o'clock, July 4th, when twelve colonies voted for adoption and released an unsigned copy to the printers. (New York abstained from both votes.) Philadelphia celebrated the Declaration with public readings and bonfires on July 8. Not until August 2 would a fair printing be signed by the members of the Congress, but even that was kept secret to protect the members from British reprisal.
Quoting little headache from 03:14, 6th Jul 2005
Quoting novium from 02:42, 6th Jul 2005

Technically, I think it was written and passed on July 2, but I don't think it was published until July 4th. The original document only got a couple signatures on July 4, and received the full number over the course of several years (perhaps even a decade).

Then again, this is just what I remember from reading a lot of books on the Revolution; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

[hr]

boo!
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 am

Quoting rennie from 02:09, 6th Jul 2005
Slightly off subject, but where did you find out about the high tide line law thackary? I've heard it many times, but I've never found anything concrete to back it up. And I can't be arsed speaking to the police.

I was told by James Hooton from Fife Council that beach parties are allowed on the beach (with permission from Fife Council, and notification to the Police), but fires and alcohol should be kept below the high tide mark.

I think it's fair enough, although makes things a little tricky when the tide's in...
Thackary

Re:

Postby bdw on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:26 am

(Further to Thackary's advice)

As far as I am aware, statutory access rights to most public land (but not public golf courses) were created by the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. This allows people to exercise a right of access to the beach for recreational and other purposes. As the extent of the local authority’s powers presumably includes the area of the beach above the mean high spring water mark, any bye-laws it has enacted relating to consumption of alcohol and penalties for fire-lighting offences will apply to that area.

Separate and overriding common law rights for the public to use the foreshore (between mean high and low spring water level) for recreational purposes are safeguarded by the Crown (more specifically, by the Lord Advocate). These recreational rights of use include lighting fires. Whether recreation for these purposes includes excessive consumption of alcohol would seem to be more of a grey area.
[img]littleicons/wink.gif[/img]
bdw

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:55 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:40, 5th Jul 2005
'Union front organisation'? Who do you think we are, the IRA?

It's a good rumour to spread

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board