Home

TheSinner.net

Independence Day for All

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Independence Day for All

Postby Rachel Marsh on Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:03 pm

Following the success of the "We Hate the Daylight" bonfire, the PG Society now presents "Independence Day for All." Throw off the shackles of lab coats, library books, dissertation notes and summer jobs to eat, drink, and be merry on Monday, the 4th of July. Come down to the East Sands starting at 7pm for games, music, food, fireworks and loads of people. Bring your own bottle and loads of friends.

For more PG Events go to: http://www.yourunion.net/pgsoc

We will be on the East Sands starting at 7pm.
Rachel Marsh

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Are you cancelling pool for the night? If so, I'll change the web site.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:01 pm

Are there likely to be more of these in August when I return? Or have plans not yet been made?

[hr]

Will Watson. Medical Student. Cake Lover.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby iohannes on Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:02 pm

How bizarre. So we're celebrating American Independence Day in the UK now are we?

:D

[hr]

That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
iohannes

Re:

Postby Lindsay on Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:46 pm

I think it's the old "any excuse for a pissup!"

Quoting iohannes from 00:02, 28th Jun 2005
How bizarre. So we're celebrating American Independence Day in the UK now are we?

[hr]

[hr]

Think of me long enough to make a memory...
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Suulsa-Krii/givingad.gif[/img]
Lindsay

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:21 am

like cinco de mayo in the states....
:)

Quoting Lindsay from 01:46, 28th Jun 2005
I think it's the old "any excuse for a pissup!"

[hr]

[hr]

Think of me long enough to make a memory...

[hr]

it's a play badly written in which I must play
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:48 am

We've been doing it for years! Along with Thanksgiving - it's a function of the number of Americans here, in this case mainly postgrads, and if the PG Soc didn't do anything then someone else would, so we might as well :)
David Bean

Re:

Postby Not American on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting Rachel Marsh from 18:03, 27th Jun 2005
Following the success of the "We Hate the Daylight" bonfire, the PG Society now presents "Independence Day for All."

Independence Day is for less than 5% of all (nearer 0% outside the United States of America), that's only 295,734,134 of the 6,446,131,400 people in the world. So the Students' Association (which excludes clubs for not being inclusive to all) believes that "All" means the less than 5% of the World's population that are American.

[hr]

I don't really care that much - it is just a point! Populations are from www.google.co.uk.
Not American

Re:

Postby blah on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:15 am

Hmm, v tacky. Freedom from what, really? There's still an idiot with the IQ of a peanut holding the US presidency.

Please don't take this personally, but I have not been terribly impressed with postgrad events thus far. There was no wood at the beginning of the "bonfire". And you may want to account for clean-up next time, bring bin bags and tell people to take their own rubbish, as it was fairly disgusting.

And by the way, I love the daylight. Having a party on the Friday before the summer solstice and calling it "we hate the daylight" is about as sensible as going to a beach party called "we hate the sand".
blah

Re:

Postby nosoupforyou on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:15 am

at least cinco de mayo was versus the french! this is a bit more... insane, celebrating defeat and all.
nosoupforyou

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:45 am

[b]Quoting Not American from 00:34, 28th Jun Independence Day is for less than 5% of all (nearer 0% outside the United States of America), that's only 295,734,134 of the 6,446,131,400 people in the world. So the Students' Association (which excludes clubs for not being inclusive to all) believes that "All" means the less than 5% of the World's population that are American.

You want pedantry? Here's some. Firstly, America isn't a club, nor is it discriminatory - at least insofar as Association guidelines are concerned. Secondly, don't you think the more meaningful statistic is, how many people in St Andrews on 4 July want to go to a beach party celebrating Independence Day? Possibly only 0.0000000001% of the world's population, but unfortunately the beach just ain't big enough to accommodate any more.

BTW, the best way to improve PG events is to respond to one of the millions of appeals, and volunteer to HELP OUT. It's a society, not a service for consumers - that's the point. Kinda difficult not to make people clear up their own rubbish when nobody else has volunteered to di it for them, don'tcha think?
David Bean

Re:

Postby lauremw on Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:58 am

We did clean up everyone else's rubbish last time - Rilla bagged it before she left, and then sunflower and I went down to Castle Sands the morning after. Without volunteering, just because we wanted to help.
And it was really disgusting. The bags were dripping and entirely too much for two people to carry. I mean how hard is it to carry your cans to the bin at the top?
We're postgrads for God's sake - I don't think it's too much to ask for people to be responsible about taking away bottles, bags and whatever they brought with them. It's just common courtesy. I felt sorry for the people who'd gone to the beach the next morning - it was not a nice place to be.

ps - if you hadn't guessed already, that was me above offering my advice, was too tired to sign in.

[hr]

~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Rachel Marsh on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:49 am

Yes, many, many people helped clean-up for the bonfire and helped bring the wood. And I truly appreciate all that did volunteer. Personally, I think the bonfire was a tremendous success, due to those that helped. But if you don't think it was please feel free to help plan and run any of the events this summer.

As for August events: yes there will be many. Please go to www.yourunion.net/pg for a complete list of summer activities.

Regarding the Fourth of July Party, you may notice on at www.yourunion.net/pg that we will also be having a party on 14th of July which is Bastille Day. While the French population in St. Andrews is comparatively small, as a multi-cultural society, the PG Society likes throwing parties on days that revolve around various holidays.

Now if you have some sort of emotional issue with either Independence Day or Bastille Day (a family member was a Redcoat or Marie Antionette) and wish to not attend the functions, then so be it. If you would like to join in the festivities and have a great time (as many non-Irish do for St. Patrick's Day) we'll see you on the East Sands.

Oh, and if anyone would like to volunteer, please let me know because we'll need lots of help for this event.
Rachel Marsh

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:00 pm

Is the email address pghelp@st-and.ac.uk ?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Rachel Marsh on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:41 pm

You can email me at pgsoc@st-andrews.ac.uk. If for some reason that doesn't work, you can email me at rm368.
Rachel Marsh

Re:

Postby Rilla on Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:00 pm

oooh, there's going to be a quiz tomorow night, that looks like fun! im sure it will be great, run by fabulous people.
I would advise everyone to go along!

[hr]

"O unworn world enrapture me, enrapture me in a web
Of fabulous grass and eternal voices by a beech"
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby novium on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:34 pm

Quoting blah from 00:41, 28th Jun 2005
There's still an idiot with the IQ of a peanut holding the US presidency.

Disagree with politics, policies, etc etc, but it's just silly to call him an idiot because he has trouble speaking. Are people who stutter idiots? It's actually more than silly- it's downright rude, demeaning, etc, to people with speech problems. Also, consider that getting tounge-tied commonly happens to those who are very bright, as their tounge has trouble keeping up with their thoughts.

I can't wait until 2008 when we can get rid of bush, but come on. Have a little decency.

Furthermore, why do you care if the society has a party? No one is forcing you to go.

[hr]

it's a play badly written in which I must play
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Not American on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:36 am

Quoting David Bean from 11:45, 28th Jun 2005
[b]Quoting Not American from 00:34, 28th Jun Independence Day is for less than 5% of all (nearer 0% outside the United States of America), that's only 295,734,134 of the 6,446,131,400 people in the world. So the Students' Association (which excludes clubs for not being inclusive to all) believes that "All" means the less than 5% of the World's population that are American.

You want pedantry? Here's some. Firstly, America isn't a club, nor is it discriminatory - at least insofar as Association guidelines are concerned. Secondly, don't you think the more meaningful statistic is, how many people in St Andrews on 4 July want to go to a beach party celebrating Independence Day? Possibly only 0.0000000001% of the world's population, but unfortunately the beach just ain't big enough to accommodate any more.

BTW, the best way to improve PG events is to respond to one of the millions of appeals, and volunteer to HELP OUT. It's a society, not a service for consumers - that's the point. Kinda difficult not to make people clear up their own rubbish when nobody else has volunteered to di it for them, don'tcha think?

Sorry, I was mearly trying to get at the name of the thread. The idea of an Independence Day event is a good one, but I object to it being called "Independence Day for All", when it clearly isn't.
Not American

Re:

Postby lauremw on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:06 am

[hijack] novium, I never said anything about the way he speaks. It is however common knowledge that Bush isn't a great orator, chalk that up to whatever you like, but I never brought it up in my statement.

I think he's an idiot because he doesn't give a flying fuck about anything except his own interests. Screw the rest of the world, his own citizens, and the environment. That's my opinion, to which I'm entitled, just as you're entitled to yours.

I don't appreciate that you presume to read your meaning into my opinion. It's unfair, so please ensure that the argument you are using can be found within the previous poster's statement. [/hijack] Now back to your previously scheduled party discussion.

[hr]

~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:06 pm

Quoting Not American from 22:35, 28th Jun 2005

Sorry, I was mearly trying to get at the name of the thread. The idea of an Independence Day event is a good one, but I object to it being called "Independence Day for All", when it clearly isn't.

If it were called "Independence for All Day", then I would see your point.
However, the day is for everyone (I don't think anyone will be banned from existence for that one day if they happen to be non-American).
Maybe "Independence Day Party for All" would have been a more appropriate title for the thread, and would have prevented your knickers from getting in a twist.
Thackary

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board