Home

TheSinner.net

Chirac: open mouth... insert foot..

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Chirac: open mouth... insert foot..

Postby KayBee on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:59 am

..well his foot might taste better than British food in his opinion!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4649007.stm
KayBee

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:24 am

He's an arrogant prick, reinforcing every stereotype the world has about the French.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby Aureliano on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:34 am

Yeah... he's basically following Berlusconi's lead of recently making scathing jokes about Finnish cuisine, and this time bringing in the Brits. Grrr.

Though ol' Silvio came out with some tactful quotes about stealing the EU Food Safety Authority agency from our granny-of-a-president: "In seeking a decision, it is necessary to use all possible weapons. For that reason, I honed up my playboy skills from the distant past to appeal to the President."

http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/english/ ... 1979994400

Sigh. I don't really know whether to be mildly annoyed or indifferent. I'll give a more opinionated answer when I can be bothered. Right now I have more important things to attend to... like having lunch.
Aureliano

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:11 am

That guy is a complete twat.
If he turns up late to the G8 as speculated then they should just kick him out. While their at it I think they should remove france from the permanent security council aswell.
The sooner that old cunt dies the sooner europe can actually start going somewhere
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:13 am

All of the recent Chirac lunacy just serves to take attention from his own internal problems - expect to see some serious grandstanding at the G8 and don't expect anything big to come from it. France and the USA are all going into that meeting with the intention of playing solely to the home audience and to hell with the rest of the planet. Ironic that they should be so similar.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:16 am

Didn't he also make some comment about the only reason the Dutch voted no in their refferendum was because they were too fat and ate too much?

[hr]

'What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...'
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby ovi on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:18 am

arrogant yes, incorrect no. british "cuisine" is rubbish. absolute crap. even gordon ramsay, arguably the best british chef around (cuz i f@"§#ing say so), cooks nouveau french cuisine. i dont agree wih chirac on a lot of things, but just like him, i would not let a british person in my kitchen, not even to wash the dishes.
ovi

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting ovi from 14:18, 5th Jul 2005
arrogant yes, incorrect no. british "cuisine" is rubbish. absolute crap. even gordon ramsay, arguably the best british chef around (cuz i f@"§#ing say so), cooks nouveau french cuisine. i dont agree wih chirac on a lot of things, but just like him, i would not let a british person in my kitchen, not even to wash the dishes.

What exactly is so wrong with british "cuisine"??? It all seems to be stews, casseroles, roasts etc. Which seem to me to be much the same as in any number of other european countries. Although I may be wrong.

[hr]

'What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...'
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:43 am

Quoting ovi from 14:18, 5th Jul 2005

I agree. What disturbs me about this country is how little value you get for your money when you are buying food. Theres no quality at the lower end of the market, in fact most of it is so inedible that it should be banned!. We have a lot to learn from the continent.

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Lindsay on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:15 pm

Did anyone else here Sir Clement on the radio today (Radio 5 I think)? According to him, the reason our cuisine is not up to the standard of the French is that our basic foodstuffs are so much better so we don't need to arse about with sauces and stuff.

Interesting thought!

[hr]

Think of me long enough to make a memory...
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Suulsa-Krii/givingad.gif[/img]
Lindsay

Re:

Postby Thackary on Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Humphrey - were you at Live8 in London?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Rufus on Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:34 pm

Surely the British reaction (i.e. thoroughly and typically OTT) is worthy of more disdain than Chirac's misguided but frankly spot on comment?

If you can't take a bit of light-hearted banter, well...

[hr]

'Do you remember how long the days were when you were a child?'
Rufus

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Quoting thackary from 16:11, 5th Jul 2005

Nah, me and Katie were painting the kitchen; we are so rock and roll. I loved the stupid comments that came out of some of the star's mounths though. The best one was 'If the west was in need then Africa would come to our aid'. Yeah right, i'm sure Mugabe, Gaddafi and the rest of those tinpot African dicators would be straining at the leash to hold a benefit concert on our behalf. A good show, but not 'the greatest achievement of mankind', lets not get ahead of ourselves.

[hr]

Humphrey

Re:

Postby amac on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Quoting Rufus from 16:34, 5th Jul 2005
If you can't take a bit of light-hearted banter, well...

I very much doubt it was light-hearted banter. If it was he wouldn't be saying it to friends away from British ears.
amac

Re:

Postby jequirity on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Chiracs got a French loaf stuck up his ass ever since he realised that he's not top dawg in europe or the the world anymore.
jequirity

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:28 pm

No surprise that Chirac is an idiot, though I haver to say that I'm actually a huge fan of British, and particularly Scottish, cuisine.

For me it's all about good quality and local production. Britain produced some of the best meat in the world; Aberdeen Angus is unquestionably the best beef, and we also have some wonderful game, including the ever-popular venison and pheasent. Scottish wild salmon is superb - I don't know of any better - and the climate is perfect for producing a wide variety of traditional vegetables, especially root vegetables, soft fruits and herbs.

Eating these kinds of food from a good restaurant is a wonderful experience, and I'd choose to eat at a a good Scottish restaurant above the cuisine of any other country in the world.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:59 pm

Quoting David Bean from 20:28, 5th Jul 2005
including the ever-popular venison and pheasent.

Shhhh! The twitcher in me knows that the pheasant was introduced into Britain by the Normans!

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/stormy.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby La Jouissance on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:09 pm

Quoting Humphrey from 17:01, 5th Jul 2005
Quoting thackary from 16:11, 5th Jul 2005

Nah, me and Katie were painting the kitchen; we are so rock and roll. I loved the stupid comments that came out of some of the star's mounths though. The best one was 'If the west was in need then Africa would come to our aid'. Yeah right, i'm sure Mugabe, Gaddafi and the rest of those tinpot African dicators would be straining at the leash to hold a benefit concert on our behalf. A good show, but not 'the greatest achievement of mankind', lets not get ahead of ourselves.

[hr]

Humphrey, for more information on tinpot dictators offering help to the UK, see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4132547.stm
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 pm

British food is good. George Orwell said so -http://orwell.ru/library/articles/cooking/english/e_dec

Chirac's just stirring things up, stoopidly. Tomorrow should be interesting -the Olympic decision and then the G8 kicks off.

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby ovi on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:31 pm

Aberdeen Angus the best beef??? Whatever have you been smoking man? Obviously you have been denied the absolute culinary delight that is Kobe beef. Have some of that stuff (even raw if that's your thing) and then you will surely realise the nonsense you have been uttering. And for the Scottish salmon, not only is it not that great, but there was a massive thing on the TV about a year ago on how it was found to contain enough mercury and cadmium to light up a small city! When it comes to salmon, its either Norway or no way.
ovi

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board