Home

TheSinner.net

Cave?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Cave?

Postby Lyeta on Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:38 am

Anyone know how to get to the cave in St. Andrews (or if it even exists)? I heard there was one but that you could only get to it at low tide - where it is?
Lyeta

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:04 am

It, I believe, is between West and Castle Sands. Anyone wish to confirm/deny or give more specific details?
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby blairtummock on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:26 am

There is a cave below the castle at the north side (facing the sea) I do not know 100% how to get there - there is a concrete shelf leading there though, Historic Scotland might help you if you go into the castle and ask the staff.

The east sands have a cave too - you will have to wait till low tide and it is quite far along the cliff, past the caravan park.
blairtummock

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:29 am

It depends. The one Steveo refers to is probably the one recorded on maps as the "Jingling Cave". There's also a Smuggler's Cave around that side of the castle. There is also the more famous St Rule's Cave (aka Lady Buchan's Cave) between Castle Sands and the pier.
Al

Re:

Postby Greebo on Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:16 am

The best way to get there is to go from Castle Sands and head around the rocks and along the cave front. Getting back is up to you - I usually keep going and go through the Sea Life Centre somehow (depends how the water level is, sometimes you can jump from the old swimming pool to the beach that leads tho the car park, others I've just had to climb over gates).

You can also go back the way you came I believe but I've never tried - seems a longer route.

As Al said, there's 2 along that route - one's quite a good one for a wee party, while the other is quite narrow and appears to be full of water - never gone in that one too far yet - need a decent torch.

[hr]

http://www.greebo.org.uk - Loadsa drunken photos and suchlikes.
Greebo

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:55 am

yes, Greebo is right - i went along to the cave this summer - afew weeks ago. the tide was way out and we climbed along the rocks at the far end of castle sands, then just walked along towards west sands. it's quite easy to walk along - just abit slimy, and there's a ladder and stuff to help you along some bits.
we only found one cave - it's really cool, quite big, though we didn't stay long (it was now about 7am after a party on the beach) and kept on walking along towards west sands and the aquarium.

it's really quite cool, though not something i'll probably do again for awhile.

[hr]

"O unworn world enrapture me, enrapture me in a web
Of fabulous grass and eternal voices by a beech"
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:27 am

There is apparantely also a cave between Castle sands and where the aquarium is, but i believe it is sealed off. It used to be used by Victorian ladies for swimming and stuff

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Return to The Sinner's Main Board