Home

TheSinner.net

BEWARE: New Hall Cash Machine (ATM)

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

BEWARE: New Hall Cash Machine (ATM)

Postby mistergrumps on Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:15 am

It now charges you £1.50 per withdrawal...but doesn't tell you (although there is some very small print!).

Gits.
mistergrumps

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:54 am

WHAT?!!

Since when?

Bloody hell - is it not bad enough that going to the cash machine and trying to withdraw what little money we have left without being charged for it!?!

Dammit, I'm with a bank that does not have a branch in St Andrews....of well..shall have to make sure I have enough cash on me for those random late take aways!

Surely the uni should know better then to allow that to happen?! I would have thought they have some say because the cash machine is built into a University owned residence?!

Union people - what can you do for us?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Legion on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:20 am

If there is small print, then surely they've told you?
Legion

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:52 am

Quoting harmless loony from 08:54, 22nd Aug 2005Union people - what can you do for us?

Not sure- I'll find out what's going on.

[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:53 am

I don't imagine the Union can do anything (a monumental surprise, I'm sure). Besides, charging ATMs are becoming a lot more common - the bastards.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:37 am

1.50? that's insane! Well it's always out of order anyway tho.

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:03 pm

OH MY GOD! i mean there isnt a cash machine within at least 5minutes walk of that!!!!oneonene1! grow up! its not as if you can spend money on the north haugh anyway, so why not wait until you are in town and get a tenner out at the union, greyfriars or oppostie tesco? £1.50 is standard for paying cash machines anyway, i mean it could be one of the £2 ones anyway.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:59 am

Because if I am ordering a take away for delivery - I'm not going to walk into town to get money am I? Or if I have to get home in an emergency - which has happned on a few occasions last year - I can withdraw some money and go.

It defeats the whole object of having a cash machine in the hall if the charges are such that it makes it inconvenient to use.

I think the point being argued here was about being charged to use something that was previously free.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:44 am

or you could be like other people who don't live on top of a cash machine and keep a tenner in your wallet / purse? Seriously, there ARE actually people who live more than 50 feet away from a cash machine, and society hasn't collapsed yet. I'm sure you'll get through it all somehow...

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting mistergrumps from 08:15, 22nd Aug 2005
It now charges you £1.50 per withdrawal...but doesn't tell you (although there is some very small print!).

Gits.

i seriously doubt this, if a cash machine is to charge it has to say "you will be charged £1.50 for this transaction, do you want to continue?" so you know not to take money out there

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:56 am

Quoting harmless loony from 08:59, 23rd Aug 2005
I think the point being argued here was about being charged to use something that was previously free.

I imagine it's only charging people who are from a different bank and it's hardly as if this practice is new - it's just that around 4-5 years ago, the banks got strong armed into having to tell people about charges and lost a taste for making them so obvious.

But now with pay machines becoming ever more prevalent, it's more acceptable... and it fits in with banks being practically nowhere and being bastards.

In any event, the pragmatic view that flare is espousing seems like a sensible one anyway. If you're worried that you may need money and you're sitting around with an empty wallet, that's not exactly showing a great deal of forward planning.

[hr]

Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting Prophet Tenebrae from 10:56, 23rd Aug 2005
Quoting harmless loony from 08:59, 23rd Aug 2005

I imagine it's only charging people who are from a different bank and it's hardly as if this practice is new - it's just that around 4-5 years ago, the banks got strong armed into having to tell people about charges and lost a taste for making them so obvious.

But now with pay machines becoming ever more prevalent, it's more acceptable... and it fits in with banks being practically nowhere and being bastards.

In any event, the pragmatic view that flare is espousing seems like a sensible one anyway. If you're worried that you may need money and you're sitting around with an empty wallet, that's not exactly showing a great deal of forward planning.

If it charges anybody, it has to charge everybody- that's a condition of accessing the LINK network. HBOS sold a lot of cash machines off last year to a company called HBOS and this is probably one of them.

I haven't heard anything back from the University yet.

[hr]

Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:36 am

Quoting Ben Reilly from 12:09, 23rd Aug 2005
HBOS sold a lot of cash machines off last year to a company called HBOS

What?

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby macgamer on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:45 am

Also beware of the Cash machine at the end of Market Street built into Global Video.

That also charges £1.50 per transaction.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:46 am

Do I understand this correctly? :-

If the cash machine wasn't there, you would have to walk to another cash machine, or wait until a bank opens.

It seems that people are complaining about being charged for a service.
Light the Rag

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 am

Quoting light the rag from 13:46, 23rd Aug 2005
Do I understand this correctly? :-

If the cash machine wasn't there, you would have to walk to another cash machine, or wait until a bank opens.

It seems that people are complaining about being charged for a service.

but the cash machine has been there for years (certainly at least since 2001, tho i suspect longer) and was run (i think) by the bank of scotland and was a free service so people are obviously going to be annoyed with it changing!

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg
niall

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:17 am

Quoting DrAlex from 12:36, 23rd Aug 2005
Quoting Ben Reilly from 12:09, 23rd Aug 2005
HBOS sold a lot of cash machines off last year to a company called HBOS

What?

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com

Oops, sorry. To a company called Cardpoint.

[hr]

Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby David Bean on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Yeah, I dunno why people seem surprised that others are, to say the least, mildly peeved at this. It's all very well to say that they can just not use the machine, but that's the whole bloody point - there's now this cash machine which used to be useable, and now, essentially, it isn't. It's not just New Hallers who are put out, either - spare a thought for the poor Melvillites, too, who can't just call for a takeaway and nip down to New Hall for the cash any more.

If they're charging £1.50 a pop, it might as well not be there.

[hr]

"Don't ask me what you know is true, don't have to tell you, I love your precious heart. I - I was standing, you were there, two worlds collided, and they could never tear us apart" - INXS
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:34 pm

Clearly the answer is to boycott banks and replace that orthopaedic matresses for cash stuffed ones.

[hr]

Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:36 pm

I've heard back from ResBus.

When the machines were sold off, the University did not believe that they would be able to get somebody to take the site and provide a free cash machine. As such, they decided to continue on with the contract. The Senior Student there was informed before it happened.

The cash machine at DRA also charges £1.50 per withdrawal, but I hope to be able to give you some good news about the DRA site soon.

[hr]

Ben Reilly

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board