Home

TheSinner.net

Bondage Soc

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bondage Soc

Postby Devilzchild on Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:40 am

We are in the process of starting Bondage Soc at St Andrews.. It's going to hopefully involve trips to Glasgow and Dundee clubs, Slave Auctions and a weekly rock night with scantily clad pretty people..
We really want to be affiliated before the start of term, but we need 20 members to do this.. (even if we're not affiliated we WILL find alternative venues to hold the rock night in!)

Whether your heavily into bondage, just curious or just looking for a fun night out in st andrews (wich doesn't happen very often!!) this is the soc for you!

We are in the process of starting Bondage Soc at St Andrews.. It's going to hopefully involve trips to Glasgow and Dundee clubs, Slave Auctions and a weekly rock night with scantily clad pretty people..

We really want to be affiliated before the start of term, but we need 20 members to do this.. (even if we're not affiliated we WILL find alternative venues to hold the rock night in!)

Whether your heavily into bondage, just curious or just looking for a fun night out in st andrews (wich doesn't happen very often!!) this is the soc for you!

We want lots of members becuase the uni is trying to tie us up in red tape at the moment..

JOIN US..
Devilzchild

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:45 pm

Pretty people? I'll bet you don't end up with anything but fat and ugly people.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:46 pm

First post on whats going to be a great thread!

Edit: ffs now I just look like a fool instead of a witty net-savvy e-gangsta
Senethro

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:52 pm

Quoting Devilzchild from 13:40, 24th Aug 2005
We want lots of members becuase the uni is trying to tie us up in red tape at the moment..

I can understand why the Union is a bit chary - duty of care, legal liability, PR risk. Societies involved in other dangerous things like skydiving and SCUBA are heavily supervised too, yes? And IIRC many of the regular BDSM pastimes are not even, strictly speaking, legal in the UK.
Leo Comerford

Re:

Postby terry towelling on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:02 pm

Note the difference between the Uni (University) and the Union (Students' Association). Two completely different bodies!

Bondage isn't illegal in the UK, but S&M is.
As long as Bondage Soc complies with the Students' Association's equal opportunities policy, doesn't partake in or promote any illegal activity, and submits health and safety risk assessments for any events(!), and achieves a membership of 20+ paying members, there should be no reason why they can't affiliate.
terry towelling

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:05 pm

I'd have thought that the Bop would be illegal then as it's clearly a form of sadom-machicism... but then I guess the way it's being run into the ground could count as preventative measures.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:09 pm

I'll pay membership dues if you never talk to me except to send me those health and safety risk assesments. Those are going to be classic!

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:22 pm

Quoting terry towelling from 17:02, 24th Aug 2005Bondage isn't illegal in the UK, but S&M is.
As long as Bondage Soc complies with the Students' Association's equal opportunities policy, doesn't partake in or promote any illegal activity, and submits health and safety risk assessments for any events(!), and achieves a membership of 20+ paying members, there should be no reason why they can't affiliate.

Actually, that's a myth. S&M isn't illegal either, you might want to check the rulings in cases such as Crown vs Brown for the reality of the law. I had to speak on "This House Would Legalise S&M" a couple of years ago and was fascinated to learn that it wasn't illegal in the first place.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:48 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 17:22, 24th Aug 2005

Actually, that's a myth. S&M isn't illegal either, you might want to check the rulings in cases such as Crown vs Brown for the reality of the law.

Really? The material I can find on the Web about it suggests otherwise; see eg.

http://www.commex.org/whatever/spanner/spanner.html
Leo Comerford

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 17:22, 24th Aug 2005
Actually, that's a myth. S&M isn't illegal either, you might want to check the rulings in cases such as Crown vs Brown for the reality of the law. I had to speak on "This House Would Legalise S&M" a couple of years ago and was fascinated to learn that it wasn't illegal in the first place.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. We were lectured in medico-legal issues a while back and the lecturer mentioned a rather interesting case: a bondage group who got off on nailing each others' foreskins to bits of wood (I shit you not). I wish I had my notes with me so I could direct you to the case but unfortunately I leant them to someone who's resitting. Anyway, it was ruled by the Judge that the government has a duty of care to prevent people from harming themselves and the steps were taken to prevent future nailing (I forget how, alas).

[hr]

Will Watson. Medical Student. Cake Lover.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Devilzchild on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Quoting Leo Comerford from 16:52, 24th Aug 2005
Quoting Devilzchild from 13:40, 24th Aug 2005

I can understand why the Union is a bit chary - duty of care, legal liability, PR risk. Societies involved in other dangerous things like skydiving and SCUBA are heavily supervised too, yes? And IIRC many of the regular BDSM pastimes are not even, strictly speaking, legal in the UK.

Actually we're not planning anything illegal. We are planning to provide information for people interested in bondage, nights out to legal clubs like violate or cage, and hopefully a weekly rock night where people can dress up in corsets, leather, or what ever they like without worrying about what people think!
Devilzchild

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:07 pm

Quoting terry towelling from 17:02, 24th Aug 2005
Note the difference between the Uni (University) and the Union (Students' Association). Two completely different bodies!

I assume that Devilzchild meant the Union, since of course that's who student societies affiliate with. In any case, anything that seriously affects the Union is going to affect the University, never mind us students.
So I understand, though IANAL. But skydiving is legal too, and you still have to scrupulously follow procedures to (a) avoid accidents and (b) cover your ass legally when they happen anyway.
As long as Bondage Soc complies with the Students' Association's equal opportunities policy, doesn't partake in or promote any illegal activity,

That might not be so easy in practise.
and submits health and safety risk assessments for any events(!), and achieves a membership of 20+ paying members, there should be no reason why they can't affiliate.

Sure, students (over age 18) are adults, and should be free to do dangerous things at their own discretion. But running or supervising a club that does dangerous things makes you partly responsible for the dangers, both morally and legally. Remember how the University was sued for £huge and featured in the newspapers when a student was (allegedly? I don't know the outcome of the case) raped on an offical Russian-language-learning trip? I can't imagine the Union wants to experience the same trouble over a trip to a Glasgow fetish dungeon.
Leo Comerford

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:07 pm

Quoting terry towelling from 17:02, 24th Aug 2005

I assume that Devilzchild meant the Union, since of course that's who student societies affiliate with. In any case, anything that seriously affects the Union is going to affect the University - never mind us students!
So I understand, though IANAL. But skydiving is legal too, and you still have to strupulously follow procedures to (a) avoid accidents and (b) cover your ass legally when they happen anyway.
As long as Bondage Soc complies with the Students' Association's equal opportunities policy, doesn't partake in or promote any illegal activity,

That's a doozy. Are they going to turn away everyone who turns up with a flogger? Will there be any S&M going on at those Glasgow clubs they plan to visit?
and submits health and safety risk assessments for any events(!), and achieves a membership of 20+ paying members, there should be no reason why they can't affiliate.

Students (over age 18) are adults, and they should be free to do dangerous things at their own discretion. But running or supervising a club that does dangerous things makes you partly responsible for the dangers, both morally and legally. Remember how the University was sued for £huge and featured in the newspapers when a student was (allegedly? I don't know the outcome of the case) raped on an offical Russian-language-learning trip? I can't imagine the Union wants to experience the same trouble over a trip to a Glasgow fetish dungeon.
Leo Comerford

Re:

Postby La Jouissance on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:08 pm

Isn't the issue that it's not possible in law to consent to being assaulted which is what some S&M activities would be deemed to be? So you couldn't, for example, consent to letting someone nail your whatever to wherever etc?

More info here
http://www.spannertrust.org/default.asp
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 18:00, 24th Aug 2005

Anyway, it was ruled by the Judge that the government has a duty of care to prevent people from harming themselves and the steps were taken to prevent future nailing (I forget how, alas).

I believe it involved prison sentences spent in solitary confinement. All for their own good, of course...
Leo Comerford

Re:

Postby Leo Comerford on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:30 pm

Quoting Devilzchild from 18:00, 24th Aug 2005
Actually we're not planning anything illegal. We are planning to provide information for people interested in bondage, nights out to legal clubs like violate or cage,

The problem is that if anyone does something Really Stupid (or just has really bad luck) after reading your information or going on one of your trips, you, and the Union, would have to be pretty damn sure you could convince a court that you weren't at all responsible. Plus there's the unfortunate fact that parents who hear about Bondagesoc are likely to feel a lot worse about sending their precious daughter here.
and hopefully a weekly rock night where people can dress up in corsets, leather, or what ever they like without worrying about what people think!

Aaaah. Now I get it; this is really another Rocksoc competitor, right?
Leo Comerford

Re:

Postby Haunted on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Yeah its been done man, even the dress code. Check out the freshers Rocksoc
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:14 pm

Dude people wear corsets and fucked up shit to rocksoc. Why not just go there. Plenty of us are into bondage! Well me at any rate. And I'm a small ugly midget.

[hr]

Hello Dave!
IMAGE:img57.exs.cx/img57/3929/ChristmasDave.jpg
Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:58 pm

Yup sounds like a carbon copy of rocksoc to me, apart from this information stand thing

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Senethro on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:55 pm

Rocksoc clone: Did you read the bit in the original post where it said "slave auctions"?
Senethro

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board