Home

TheSinner.net

Looters - WTF?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Looters - WTF?

Postby Guest on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:06 am

I was watching the news and was wondering why looters take what they do?

I could see stealing anything you need to survive. Food, medicine, clothes, others stuff to keep you alive. What the hell are you going to do with a DVD player? You can't eat it, and you have no power to use it, or home to watch it in.

The latest report I saw was that some looters were shooting at relief helicopters with the guns they were looting.

Stupid people.

Re:

Postby Colin on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:17 pm

I have to say, shooting at rescue helicopters is a new low, even for a country well known for its nut cases.
Colin

Re:

Postby bramble on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:43 pm

What good can come of looting really? Is stealing a DVD player really going to make them feel any better when they have lost everything else? Plus they dont realise how much they are hindering the relief effort and causing further problems when it comes to rebuilding and clearing up aftr the tragedy. Honestly human stupidity knows no bounds sometimes!

[hr]

And i still hold your hand in mine when im asleep
Ich will die Ruhe stören...
bramble

Re:

Postby Haunted on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:26 pm

Most of those looting are (naturally) from very poor backgrounds.
Thus stashing away a few DVD's players/computers/whatever will pay off when they can be sold after everything has calmed down. Thus providing the poor folk with more money for booze
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:29 pm

[img]http://www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/sovietrescue.jpg[/img]
The jokes on them, they don't have any electricity to make their looted DVD players and Hifis work, or houses to put them in ¬_¬

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby alias on Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:21 pm

I'm not saying that all people in that area are like this but in general, the people living there are some of the most uneducated (that's a nice way of saying stupid) people that the US has to offer. This is not just from personal experience but also from demographic data. Also that particular area is extremely poor in relation to the rest of the country so any opportunity to get ahead is going to be exploited by some (not really sure how they fit into the Bible belt).

On another note, any help, financial or material that anyone is able to give I'm sure will go a long way for all of the displaced people the used to live there. I'm know you have seen the pictures etc. and understand that the situation is real bad – way fucked up. I also know that the perception is that America is rich and should be able to handle it on there own but in reality the government aid is typically 20% - 35% of the full economic impact of these natural disasters so anything that the world is able to do to help out those people will be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to seeing you all, take care.

[hr]

All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie.
alias

courtesy of Football365 - Mediawatch

Postby Cain on Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:42 pm

compare the captions to

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/phot ... oma_photo1

and

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ ... 8301530%3E

Quite the difference, no?

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Clearly hes's a looter because hes carrying a sack.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tubular100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Cerimonies
[hr]
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:53 pm

of course none of it is rational. you put people in a situation like that- the chaos and the destruction, their homes and livelihoods destroyed, dead bodies floating around- people go...mad. They do crazy things.

Like shooting at the helicopters? It's because they want the helicopters to come and get THEM. Yes, it sounds insane and it is insane, but precious few people keep their sanity in situations like that.

[hr]

:( I have no witty signature.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:06 pm

Quoting novium from 20:53, 1st Sep 2005
people go...mad. They do crazy things.

Never underestimate the volatility of a human in a survival situation.

See, Battle Fatigue, Combat Stress Reactions (CSR)
"In this state, the person is restless and cannot keep still. He may run about, apparently without purpose. Inside, he feels great rage or fear and his physical acts may show this. In his anger he may indiscrimintely strike out at others."
-US Army First Aid Manual for Soldiers

[hr]

RUSH KATO '05!

rush.kato@gmail.com
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Your Mom on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:51 pm

As a child of disaster or at least having been around during one, I belive Chief Greenburg (black and jewish, so you know he's legit) had the best way of dealing with looters after Hurricane Hugo here in Charleston back in '89. He simply told his men to shoot them.

Because seriously anyone that sinks to the levels of depravity evident in looting deserves a bullet in the head. Food, baby diapers, medicine, that's alright, but DVDs, PSPs, laptops, guns. Robbing a store on a sunny day is bad, yes, but doing it whilst the world around you is crying and buckling from the weight.

Definently kill em all.

[hr]

Never be haughty to the humble. Never be humble to the haughty.
-Jefferson Davis
There was no point in turning back, fuck no thank you kindly.
-Raoul Duke
Your Mom

Re:

Postby alias on Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:06 pm

Quoting Your Mom from 22:51, 1st Sep 2005
As a child of disaster or at least having been around during one, I belive Chief Greenburg (black and jewish, so you know he's legit) had the best way of dealing with looters after Hurricane Hugo here in Charleston back in '89. He simply told his men to shoot them.

Because seriously anyone that sinks to the levels of depravity evident in looting deserves a bullet in the head. Food, baby diapers, medicine, that's alright, but DVDs, PSPs, laptops, guns. Robbing a store on a sunny day is bad, yes, but doing it whilst the world around you is crying and buckling from the weight.

Definently kill em all.

[hr]

Never be haughty to the humble. Never be humble to the haughty.
-Jefferson Davis

I think we need to start a drive to buy the N.O.P.D. extra bullets, assault rifles, tasers, sawed off shotguns etc. to use so that there is no holding back.

[hr]

alias

Re:

Postby Rennie on Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:07 pm

What the fuck? Who cares if people are looting? Let them fucking steal whatever they want. As long as they aren't stealing directly off people, or holding up ambulances or so on, who fucking cares if WalMart gets turned over for a few DVD players or TV's? Like it really matters with the scale of this. Shooting at the helicopters is crazy behaviour, but people go crazy when the shit hits the fan.

As said on another post, on another site, the fact is all this stuff isn't going to get salvaged by the owners, it will all be written off as an insurance loss. So, again, who fucking cares? The companies and the insurers, hence that's why Bush says 'Zero Tolerance' for his own starving desperate people. Probably the fact that 80-90% of them are black means to him that they're all looters anyway, America being the country that it is. (Completely mental and racist)

As for 'your mom's' post - I hope you are joking. Or if you aren't, I hope you don't go to St Andrews, or are considered intelligent.

Giving financial aid to the U.S? Are you serious? This is the country that gives the least aid as a percentage of it's GDP than anywhere developed. Let them deal with their own shitstorm, they knew this was going to happen, why didn't they evacuate the people that couldn't get out of the city by themselves. And as for that cunt Bush, laughing and smiling while telling people it's all going to be fine, give money to us and we'll fix it, don't worry - I sincerely hope that has fucked up his popularity with those Southern suckers.
Rennie

Education

Postby dylan thomas on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 pm

I'm not say that all people in that area are like this but in general, the people living there are some of the most uneducated (that's a nice way of saying stupid) people the US has to offer. This is not just from personal experience but also from demographic data. Also that particular area is extremely poor in relation to the rest of the country so any opportunity to get ahead is going to be exploited by some (not really sure how they fit into the Bible belt).

On another note, any help, financial or material that anyone is able to give I'm sure will go a long way for all of the displaced people the used to live there. I'm know you have seen the pictures etc. and understand that the situation is real bad – way fucked up. I also know that the perception is that America is rich and should be able to handle it on there own but in reality the government aid is typically 20% - 35% of the full economic impact of these natural disasters so anything that the world is able to do to help out those people will be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to seeing you all, take care.
dylan thomas

Re:

Postby Chris on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 pm

Quoting Rennie from 23:07, 1st Sep 2005
What the fuck? Who cares if people are looting? Let them fucking steal whatever they want. As long as they aren't stealing directly off people, or holding up ambulances or so on, who fucking cares if WalMart gets turned over for a few DVD players or TV's? Like it really matters with the scale of this. Shooting at the helicopters is crazy behaviour, but people go crazy when the shit hits the fan.

As said on another post, on another site, the fact is all this stuff isn't going to get salvaged by the owners, it will all be written off as an insurance loss. So, again, who fucking cares? The companies and the insurers, hence that's why Bush says 'Zero Tolerance' for his own starving desperate people. Probably the fact that 80-90% of them are black means to him that they're all looters anyway, America being the country that it is. (Completely mental and racist)

As for 'your mom's' post - I hope you are joking. Or if you aren't, I hope you don't go to St Andrews, or are considered intelligent.

Giving financial aid to the U.S? Are you serious? This is the country that gives the least aid as a percentage of it's GDP than anywhere developed. Let them deal with their own shitstorm, they knew this was going to happen, why didn't they evacuate the people that couldn't get out of the city by themselves. And as for that cunt Bush, laughing and smiling while telling people it's all going to be fine, give money to us and we'll fix it, don't worry - I sincerely hope that has fucked up his popularity with those Southern suckers.

Can you get some sources for that GDP figure for me? For some reason it just doesn't seem quite right.

It's interesting to read most of this thread. As an American I can't help being, not surprised, but a little unnerved by the amount of hostility over topics unrelated to the real issue at hand. WWI and WWII are over and done with. I don't think it's necessary to being either one up in defense of one viewpoint or another.

And as an American I'm practically bracing myself for some uncalled-for bigotry as I pack my bags for school after reading all of this. Sweet, no?

Back to the point, I don't believe that Bush asked any other nations for aid (unless you can quote him asking, in which case I'll be proven wrong), but that it was generously offered and appreciated. This isn't a situation that requires political complexity between nations. It's simply the innate goodness of people who wish to aid those in trouble. Reading posts basically telling the people of New Orleans to suck it up... that's pretty poor empathy for one's fellow man.

I find it a little distasteful that such an educated group of people as on here would hold a grudge against an entire nation of individuals. Now, I dislike enough of my countrymen for some of the reasons I can imagine others would dislike them for as well, but I don't pigeonhole my entire nation into one category as easily as some of you do.

If you're going to present an argument, at least show a little tact. Name-calling is a pretty classless way to go about it.
Chris

Re:

Postby Observer on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:30 pm

If you think the U.S is so bad, reading this thread doesn't make me that proud of humanity either.
While there's no denying that America has a lot of problems especially with their current president and their government policy(personal opinion). I can't see how this is in any way the right time to bring it up...

People are sick, injured and dying over there, New Orleans will never be the same again, 80% of it is submerged underwater, dead bodies are everywhere because there's no way of getting them out. It's a disaster zone.
And while the idea that there are people who can only think about looting and shooting at people trying to get aid into the area is terrible. I think somehow the concept that there are still alot of people working out there trying to get aid and relief to those suffering has been completely forgotten. It's stupid how the bad actions of a few seem to completely dwarf the good actions of many.
At any rate.. it just seems to me that while all this is happening, complaining and criticizing a government and a population that is still fundementally trying to save the lives of its people isn't the best thing to be doing right now.

Even if it means nothing to you.. not hearing people go on and on about how evil their country is might mean something to those people who have family in the area and are waiting to find out if they are still alive or not.

Compared to the destruction and the huge loss of life... everything else, just for now maybe, seems insignificant.
Observer

Re:

Postby Squirrel on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:21 am

Rennie: Okay, so the insurance companies will pay for looted stuff. Great. Except, where does that money come from, the magic insurance fairy? No, it comes from insurance premiums. This means, in the end, everyone will end up paying for the people who are stealing DVD players and jeans from shops, either directly in their own insurance premiums, or through increased premiums paid by companies' whose services they use.

Also, we're not talking just about people breaking into shops. We're talking about people sniping at hospital staff trying to evacuate: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.hospital.sniper/index.html

other reports show dozens of car jackings, buildings being set on fire, and armed gangs roaming the streets.
Squirrel

Re:

Postby Squirrel on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:24 am

Rennie: Okay, so the insurance companies will pay for looted stuff. Great. Except, where does that money come from, the magic insurance fairy? No, it comes from insurance premiums. This means, in the end, everyone will end up paying for the people who are stealing DVD players and jeans from shops, either directly in their own insurance premiums, or through increased premiums paid by companies' whose services they use.

Also, we're not talking just about people breaking into shops. We're talking about people sniping at hospital staff trying to evacuate: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.hospital.sniper/index.html

other reports show dozens of car jackings, buildings being set on fire, and armed gangs roaming the streets.
Squirrel

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:56 am

Well, you just lost all your credibility there. Go to hell, why don't you?

America being the country that it is. (Completely mental and racist)

[hr]

:( I have no witty signature.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:55 am

What administrative oversight let you in Rennie?

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board