Home

TheSinner.net

Eve Brown

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Eve Brown

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:38 am

I think it's about time everyone shared their stories about Eve Brown- the bastards have got away with far too much for far too long! Let's out with the truth and see whether we can't nail 'em for something!!

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:44 am

Quoting from 19:06, 14th Sep 2005
I think it's about time everyone shared their stories about Eve Brown- the bastards have got away with far too much for far too long! Let's out with the truth and see whether we can't nail 'em for something!!

One of the things that stops people from being able to "nail" people for things is lack of evidence.

Remember- when you move into a new house, take photos. Once you have taken them and had them developed (or burnt to CD if it's a digital camera) post them to yourself. The postmark counts as proof of dating.

[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:03 am

They are nothing compared to Murray Donald and Caithness. Utter utter bastards.

And I never thought I'd hear the day when I'd say I miss Jean McKinnen, but her replacement is the one true personification of evil.
Manic23

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:34 am

Ah, the perennial Sinner vs. Estate Agents thread...

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/blackback.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby The Kinky Monkey on Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:24 pm

Yeah there's always the perennial debate about estate agents.
One name that always crops up is Eve Brown though.
How come they get so much flak but nothing ever happens to them?
I really regret not taking pictures last year cos they did me with a massive cleaning bill in a house that looked better when we'd cleaned up, than it did when we arrived in it.
Like Ben said their never seems to be any hardcore evidence, but surely with this many people voicing their disapproval on them, something must be wrong.
What is the Students Association stance on Eve Brown if they don't mind me asking this question?
Also if anyone wants my opinion on Eve Brown, which I'm sure you all do (!), then all I have to do is say that last year, the house I actually lived in was illegal (because of the unsafety of the electrics, and no Carbon Monoxide detector) and when they had the HMO inspection a member of said estate agent blatantly lied to the inspector.
Needless to say, I only got a quarter of my deposit back.

[hr]

Do good to all men, but at the end remember to collect your fee.
Do good to all men, but at the end remember to collect your fee.
The Kinky Monkey

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:38 pm

Quoting The Kinky Monkey from 15:24, 16th Sep 2005
What is the Students Association stance on Eve Brown if they don't mind me asking this question?

I believe, like the Union's stance on most matters, it involves bending over and being taken from behind ;>>>>

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 15:38, 16th Sep 2005

I believe, like the Union's stance on most matters, it involves bending over and being taken from behind ;>>>>

To advise students to only use landlords that have signed up to the landlord/tenant charter and to take photographs.

Oh- and to try and get some evidence ;)

[s]edit: Sorted out quote tags.[/s]
[hr]
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby themushroomgod on Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:47 pm

I believe the union holds a list of reccomended estate agents in St Andrews (one of Marco Biagi's better ideas), which Eve Brown has been removed from.

I also think someone has nailed EB for something, a few year ago. It came to the end of year clean, and they said some yah hadn't cleaned hard enough, and would be charged for cleaners. Said yah, being rich took it to court and won when EB let slip that they were expecting things like cleaning the floor boards under the carpets and other crap.

[hr]

Ooh! A Monkey!
Ooh! A Monkey!
themushroomgod

Re:

Postby Melkor on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Actually, I don't know what the fuss is about with Eve Brown. Rented a flat from them for the last couple of years, and in that time we broke many things including the window of the washing machine, made some burning marks on a couple of tables, and we got our deposit back in full... And they were always very quick in responding to problems and had people sent the next day...
Melkor

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:51 pm

Hmmm I wouldn't call them exactly speedy at solving problems. I had a window smashed by vandals a couple of years back, it took them 2 weeks to fix it. Bear in mind that I am a woman who lives alone on the ground floor...I would have made it fairly high priority to get it sorted, or at least to have it securely boarded up.

I also had a leaking radiator which it took them 10 days to fix - the carpet took months to properly dry out.

I also object to their policy of giving out keys to workmen or to various members of their own staff to enter the property when I am not at home - I've been advised that this could pose problems from an insurance point of view and so insist that they only send people round when I can arrange to be in.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:13 pm

Oh no, the Union has black listed Eve Brown!!!!!! Sadly that won't stop them owning a considerable amount of property in St. Andrews and students who are without anywhere else to go being forced to use them.

A futile gesture, however well intentioned - is still futile.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby garage red on Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 pm

I stayed with Eve Brown last year and had no problem at all with them. They were always very quick at dealing with any of the problems in our house and when we moved back in this year we found that many things which had been broken had been repaired and four tins of beer waiting for us on the kitchen table.
garage red

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:04 pm

When you first move in, don't just take photos of any existing damage you find; take photos of EVERYTHING.
Mail (or email) a copy to yourself, the estate agent/landlord and a legal representitive, making sure to inform each recipient who else you've sent the pics to.

The reason that the Students' Association doesn't include Eve Brown on the list of recommended estate agents is in order to persuade/force them to bring their service up to the same standard as the other property letting agents.
The Students' Association has no actual power over estate agents and can't force them to conduct themselves in any particular way, but acts as an advisory body to the student population.

Most estate agents and landlords are perfectly reasonable with you if you hold a similar attitude with them. Be reasonable; be polite and courteous!
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:31 am

Eve Brown aren't all that bad! They've adopted a fruit bat... No, really.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting Ben Reilly from 12:44, 16th Sep 2005

Remember- when you move into a new house, take photos. Once you have taken them and had them developed (or burnt to CD if it's a digital camera) post them to yourself. The postmark counts as proof of dating.

And how does the postmark prove what was in the the envelope? (It is a piece of piss to steam open, place photos in and reseal)

The only real way of proving the date of photos is to print them and then take them round to the estate agents and het them to stamp each one of the them...

Re:

Postby johness on Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:27 pm

Quoting Prophet Tenebrae from 20:13, 16th Sep 2005

A futile gesture, however well intentioned - is still futile.

I love you Richard and I miss you.

Ben, that's a great plan- posting the pictures to yourself, I will do that for the huge crack in my wall and my gutter/ flowerbed I am supposed to clean out :)

[hr]

[s]suck it[/s]
[s]As I walk away, I look over my shoulder to see what I'm leaving behind. Pieces of puzzles and wishes on eyelashes failed...[/s]
johness

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:04 pm

Yeah, I think the idea of railing against an estate agent who owns a large part of the rental property market in St A is pretty futile. But a nice idea, and one that ought to go in someones scrapbook of good ideas.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:41 pm

Quoting from 16:26, 16th Sep 2005
Quoting Ben Reilly from 12:44, 16th Sep 2005

And how does the postmark prove what was in the the envelope? (It is a piece of piss to steam open, place photos in and reseal)

It really isn't a piece of piss to steam an envelope open and reseal it. If you really want to, send it recorded delivery with a dated sticker from the post office over the flap.

[hr]

Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:38 pm

Post yourself a stamped copy of the Daily Mail, and then you will be able to blame gypsys and / or illegal immigrants

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:04 pm

Well MDC take the piss for not getting things done- we had a safety inspection last november where the fire service were routinely present, and the guy went tits when he saw what was within our delightful home.

1. Polystyrene borders along the ceiling. Apparently its like napalm if it catches fire
2. The vents on the door where the gas boiler is kept were unsatisfactory in that they didn't exist
3. No fire extinguishers of any sort
4. No fire doors, instead we had those lovely 'antique' chipboard ones with the cardboard in between
5. A washing machine that displays a 'DANGER-FAILED ELECTRICAL TEST, DO NOT USE. Date 12/01/2001' sticker

As well as a few other things. Oh, and did I mention the laugh I had with Mrs. Eslick once when she casually mentioned that the keys to our front door could also open the student flat 5 doors down from our place, and vice versa?

Anyway, this was last November, and still nought has been done despite numerous reminders.

Wankers
Manic23

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board