Home

TheSinner.net

Kate Kennedy Ball

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Kate Kennedy Ball

Postby jeng on Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:43 pm

just wondering if there's anyone out there going to the kate kennedy ball. im starting to get ready at the mo! the sinners calender said it was the second biggest ball- which is the biggest out of curiosity?
jeng

KK. Balls.

Postby Al on Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:49 pm

I think the biggest is probably the KK May Ball. Whether or not it's the best is another matter........

Incidentally, I thought I had read somewhere that the Principal had removed University support from the KK. If this is so, how come they are being allowed to use Lower College Lawn?

[hr]Moving in a still frame; howling at the moon
Al

Re:

Postby jeng on Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:10 pm

i know that the union doesnt support them but im not sure about the university in general. who knows..
jeng

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:03 pm

[s]jeng wrote on 14:43, 5th Oct 2002:
the sinners calender said it was the second biggest ball- which is the biggest out of curiosity?

Actually, the Kate Kennedy club said its the second biggest ball throught the medium of our calendar. The Sinner makes no claim on the matter. I should probaly add a disclaimer on that matter.

Im sure they would claim there may ball is the biggest.

[hr]
[s]One, Nothing wrong with me, Two, Nothing Wrong with me, Three, Nothing Wrong with me, Four, Nothing Wrong with me - Drowning Pool[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:05 pm

[s]James Baster wrote on 16:03, 5th Oct 2002:
[s]jeng wrote on 14:43, 5th Oct 2002:[i]
the sinners calender said it was the second biggest ball- which is the biggest out of curiosity?

Actually, the Kate Kennedy club said its the second biggest ball throught the medium of our calendar. The Sinner makes no claim on this matter. I probaly should add a disclaimer there ...

I'm sure they would claim there May ball is the biggest.

[hr]
[s]One, Nothing wrong with me, Two, Nothing Wrong with me, Three, Nothing Wrong with me, Four, Nothing Wrong with me - Drowning Pool[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:38 pm

I gather the Union will be supplying the drinks this evening. Plymouth Gin and Red Bear vodka - mm, yummy, I can't wait!
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:25 am

The KK may have hired the space on the Lower College Hall lawn.

Just a guess, but if the universtiy were supporting the KK, they may have allowed it for free.

I am of course only speculating as to whether there was a payment or not. I have no evidence either way.
Oli

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:44 am

Well, the ball was crap, either way. Or maybe I was too drunk to appreciate it.

A disgruntled ball-goer who has just got back
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby Liz McKinnell on Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:40 pm

I went to the school uniform bop at the union instead. Great night out and it was only 2 quid, so I reckon I win.
Liz McKinnell

Re:

Postby Saki on Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:23 pm

[s]Liz McKinnell wrote on 13:40, 6th Oct 2002:
I went to the school uniform bop at the union instead. Great night out and it was only 2 quid, so I reckon I win.

Well, I stayed in & washed my hair so I reckon I win.
Saki

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:31 pm

H.H.Munro wrote on 14:23, 6th Oct 2002:
Well, I stayed in & washed my hair so I recon I win.

I hope you had fun - sounds like a good night in.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby James Baster on Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:32 pm

[s]Liz McKinnell wrote on 13:40, 6th Oct 2002:

Well I didnt win then. The Bastard at the door short changed me a quid. But it was a great Bop.

[hr]
James Baster

Re:

Postby jeng on Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:33 pm

yeah, i didnt think it was that great either- prob would hav had just as much fun if id stayed in and washed my hair! (wudv bn cheaper aswel!). maybe i wasnt drunk enough to appreciate it...
jeng

Re:

Postby rae on Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:34 pm

Did you really think it was bad? I had a great time. It was my first ball so I don't have anything to compare it with but my only gripe was the lack of bartenders. Otherwise, a great night.
In America they think 100 years is old and in Britain they think 100 miles is far.
rae

Re:

Postby Saki on Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:02 pm

[s]The Kaiser wrote on 14:31, 6th Oct 2002:
H.H.Munro wrote on 14:23, 6th Oct 2002:
[i] Well, I stayed in & washed my hair so I recon I win.

I hope you had fun - sounds like a good night in.
[/i]

Oh, it was fantastic. The feeling of wet hair dripping down my back. Does it for me every time.

Btw, are you another fan of the great H.H.Munro then?
Saki

Balls to sexism!

Postby Emma on Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:49 pm

I hope everybody had a good time last night...still, I can't help wondering if the KK ball had any decent competition, whether their events would be as popular. Looking forward to triple-?'s articulate and unbiased reply to this, naturally...

I always wonder if the people who claim that an all-male society is natural and good would feel the same about an all-white society.

Hmmmm... I feel a poll coming on.
Emma

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:50 pm

[s]Saki wrote on 17:02, 6th Oct 2002:
Btw, are you another fan of the great H.H.Munro then?

Well, to a certain extent. I read his entire works last semester - I enjoyed them, but may have surfeited myself a bit.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby The Kaiser on Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:48 pm

I personally find nothing wrong with the idea of the KK as an all male-club, but I think as a group they take themselves far too seriously.
The Kaiser

Re:

Postby Pam on Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:15 pm

I think that I'm just disapointed at the fact that the University supports Kate Kennedy, an obviously sexist club. If it were independant, there would be no problem, but the simple fact that they get support disturbs me. This is an arguement that has been going on for quite a while in any case, and I get the impression that it won't go away for a long time.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is definately not for you!
Pam

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:21 pm

I think that the KK's support grows just as quickly as its opposition.

If there were no opposition to the idea of an all male society/club, then I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't prosper as they are doing now.

Contrary to the idea that an all male society should keep themselves to themselves, I think that it's the KK's saving grace that they do provide entertainment and events for everyone, without discrimination.

The only discriminatory aspect of the club is that they don't allow women as members. Ho hum.
Thackary

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board