Home

TheSinner.net

eyeTV

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

eyeTV

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:55 am

I just paid £100 for the promise of watching television on my iBook - it doesn't work. Does it need some sort of antenna to hook up to, which I don't have because I'm in hall?! I thought the antenna it came with would be enough. Any ideas?

Re:

Postby Wong on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:16 am

I would guess that because you're in hall, the necessary ports for TV streaming will be blocked by ITS - I'm not sure how the service would work as I've never heard of it, but that seems the most likely to me.

Edit: Although you mentioned that you got an antenna with it, which suggests that it doesn't come through the network... it's a mystery to me.
[hr]

No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:42 am

Is it a digital TV card or just an analogue one?. I use an analogue one with a signal booster. If it's a digital one you might not get a reception at all. Some areas in st andrews can't digital TV and unfortunately with digital you don't get the option of just looking at a bad picture, it's either there or it's not :(.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:26 pm

You need to be more specific as to the nature of the problem.

When you say "it doesn't work" - what do you mean? Is it, as foo suggests a lack of signal or is it just plain not doing anything when you switch it on?

If it's down to reception, foo is right - there isn't much you can do if you've got a digital card because the reception here isn't all that good.

Most TV cards don't have their own aerials though - but as you've not really given any information, it's impossible to know what the problem is.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:23 pm

Which version did you get? They have very different capabilities.

[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com
Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby marsbarboy on Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:04 pm

i've got one too. If it's the freeview version, then the antenna it comes with is a crock of shit. There is definitely a freeview signal in st andrews, but you'll need a mighty decent ariel or booster. one way is to scrape the paint of a bit of radiator pipe then stick the ariel wire to it. That way the entire heating system of the building you're in becomes your personal telly ariel..
marsbarboy

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:50 am

thanks for your replies. I'll try to be more specific. Its a "Cinergy T2 Terratec", "Digital TV for the Mac". The problem is that even after searching for channels it tells me I have 0% signal strength, 0% signal quality.Their support services say I should buy another antenna and try that (the antenna it comes with is very very tiny and flimsy). But if that doesn't work either, I'll have lost even more money. At this rate I might as well just have bought a TV. Should they not warn potential customers that this thing doesn't always...work?

"eyeTV for DTT, Digital TV Recorder with USB 2.0 DTT Receiver"

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:09 am

marsbarboy - if I do have the same one as you, do I then buy an ordinary aereal and use that wire?

Re:

Postby marsbarboy on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:05 pm

if your room has an ariel socket then you can plug it into that, but if you unscrew the ariel it comes with a bit, then you can wrap another piece of metal wire round the bare metal, and try out the radiator trick. Otherwise some sort of booster antenna might work better. Make sure the ariel is as high as possible and facing the local tv antenna, I think it's on the hill by morrisons, or towards dundee.
marsbarboy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:27 pm

I think it does without saying that they're assuming you'd have a signal. I mean, St. Andrews isn't exactly the best place in the world for reception and Freeview is in a relatively small (compared to analog) percentage of the country.

That won't really start to change until 2007 when analog receivers are replaced by digital ones - starting with the Borders and being complete by 2012 (or so I've heard).

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:41 pm

I hate to tell you this, but if you paid £100, then you've been ripped off, the MSRP is €100- about £60.

[hr]

Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:00 pm

...I figured out that I'd been ripped off when the thing didn't work.

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:23 pm

Quoting from 19:52, 24th Sep 2005
...I figured out that I'd been ripped off when the thing didn't work.

Have you tried the radiator trick yet?

[hr]

Ben Reilly

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:05 am

no, I'm grateful for everybody's advice and it would have been interesting to see if the radiator trick worked, but I'm returning it. I refuse to spend more money on it, they should really have warned me.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board