Home

TheSinner.net

Global and Email rights?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Global and Email rights?

Postby Global sucks on Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Ok, I've been a member of Global video for about a year now and when I joined they didn't ask for my email address, but I was in last night and they said they were updating their details and asked for my email address. They said they were updating their records, but they didn't say why they needed the email, if they send me stuff to my email address without saying that's their intention is that illegal?
Global sucks

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:31 pm

I know as a common courtesy companies often ask you if you oppose receiving such things, and it is possible that there are regulations against such things. I am fairly certain that providing email addresses to third party spammers is illegal however, and it is therefore your right to ask what they require it for.

[hr]

"But, I really love your arrogant overtones [, Alex] (I still like you, man)."-threekings
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Presumably it's your right to ask them what they need it for, but I think the original question was whether they had to specify what they were going to do with it. If they do sell your email without asking (check the terms of your membership before shouting at them), then clearly that's against the law. I was going to say that if they email from themselves, it's probably ok, but I'd qualify that by saying only if it's messages regarding your membership/rentals. If they are constantly sending emails about offers and releases, you'd have every right to ask them to stop. Incidentally, you can ask to be removed from any email address any time.

[hr]

This post may be intended in jest and should be read as such. Any queries relating to the seriousness of it should be addressed to the author. The author requests that readers DO NOT follow the advice or requests in this post. This statement is retrospective with regards to all previous sinner posts.

http://www.zombiesheep.name
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:57 pm

Right to Privacy generally states that anyone taking personal information must tell you how they are going to use and why they want to use your personal details. They are not allowed to use those details for any other reason or share those details outside of the organisation. They can only inform of a change in the how and why before someone gives those details

So societies can share their e-mail list with others (such as the national society) as long as this particular fact was displayed as someone was signing up. Additionally, all people have the right to be removed from any list that used their personal details (but this does not necessarily mean that the group has to keep them as a member).

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby dunx on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:48 pm

If I'm asked for my email address for those sorts of things I usually give them a blank look and say, "email, um, no, i don't have a computer". Pleeding ignorance can be bliss. :-)
dunx

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:23 am

I don't know UK law on this matter, but under US law a company does not have to disclose why they need your contact details, though most do so as a courtesy.

I would guess that at any rate, IF you consent to give them your e-mail, they are then free to e-mail you whatever and what volume they dang well please. As for transfering your details to a third party, that may very well be illegal.

I generally refuse to give out such information unless it's absolutely required. Many business here in the US, however, insist that you give them your telephone number before you can purchase from them. It is quite annoying.

[hr]

I sing of arms, and the man...
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:44 pm

Go the library instead and get films for free!

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby Paranoid on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:07 am

There was a new Data Protection Act released a couple of years back which included a new stipulation that when providing an email you must be asked verbally or in writing whether you are willing to recieve letters/emails from marketing companies...before you used to have to state that you didnt want it (or tick a box to say you didn't), now, legally, you only tick the box when you do...however this hasn't got through to all business's and leaves them wide open to the courts if you wanna go that far :o)

As for Global, I only found out a week before I left that they still had me living at my first room in halls 4 years previously! Didn't affect me membership whatsoever, so just fake it if you really are bothered by it

[hr]

..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
..I've got this pain down all the diodes on my left side...
Paranoid

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting Paranoid from 05:07, 18th Oct 2005
...just fake it if you really are bothered by it

less recommended if you're stopped by the police, but this didn't stop somebody I know dropping his best mate in it

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Legion on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:00 am

Go to Alphabet instead - they've got a better selection of decent films, and the staff tend to know more about their stock than in Global.

And besides, it's a local shop, not a national chain!
Legion

Re:

Postby Global sucks on Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:36 pm

I thought as much, thanks. When the took my email address they didn't say anything, just updating their records. Anyway Global does suck and that big Ginger thing that works there is one scary woman and has clearly never heard of customer service.
Global sucks

Return to The Sinner's Main Board