Home

TheSinner.net

Diabolical Tactics Of Greer Camp

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:23 pm

Obviously there are about 8 rules in this election but I feel that there are certain things that are obviously underhand... and out of keeping with the good spirit of a campaigin. I saw some of these diabolical tactics this very evening.

I was just mooching around the Melville wine and cheese evening when I noticed the rectoral campaign posters. Somewhat amused by the "Anyone but Greer" poster I went on to enjoy the free wine and cheese. Howevre it can't have been more than half an hour before I returned to see a particularly guilty looking someone ripping down the "Anyone but Greer" poster and trying to inconspicously hide the poster which he had removed, before replacing it with a "Greer Launch Party!" poster.

While this isn't against the rules, doesn't it really go against the spirit. Not just the pulling down of posters but also the whole negative campaigning.

I for one am glad of this going against the spirit of the pathethically good natured campaigns. Let's see some blood spilled for once!
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby kensson on Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:22 am

In fairness, I think an "Anyone but Greer" poster is a pretty dirty tactic in itself and would be banned in a Union election.

Also, I refuse to believe that Greer posters haven't been pulled down in town.

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

Re:

Postby barr on Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:44 am

surly we had this in the last union elections with the vote for RON campain,

if someone hates someone they have a right to say so. and for this to be advertised
barr

Re:

Postby James Baster on Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:16 pm

Thats a tricky one to call. If you think there is something wrong with a candidate (and each candidate does have there negative points) you should be alowed to say. But on the other end of the scale, putting up posters anonymously flinging mud at people could be easily done, and when mud is flung, unfortunetly some of it always sticks ...

In fact, you could draw a nice parallel with this board and unregistered users. While the feature can be used for some good, it can be used for much bad.
James Baster

Re:

Postby Anon. on Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:06 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae, after mooching around the Melville wine and cheese evening, wrote on 21:23, 17th Oct 2002:
...Somewhat amused by the "Anyone but Greer" poster I went on to enjoy the free wine and cheese. Howevre it can't have been more than half an hour before I returned to see a particularly guilty looking someone ripping down the "Anyone but Greer" poster and trying to inconspicously hide the poster which he had removed, before replacing it with a "Greer Launch Party!" poster.

I am in Melville too - who was it that tore down the poster? Or are you going to be discreet?
Anon.

Student politics

Postby puzzled on Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:57 pm

Stop being so serious. The best thing about student elections are the underhand tactics, vote rigging, corruption etc etc. I say the more the merrier, its all a good laugh. There are few things more pathetic than student politicians taking themselves seriously because they think they can change anything, be they anti-war people handing out leaflets or student union candidates.
puzzled

Congratulations

Postby the weight of echoes on Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:02 pm

I'd say that's one of the most intelligent opinons I've seen expressed on this site so far, except the part about anit-war leaflets, which perhaps is a little too cynical. Still, keep up the good work, friend. We're still children. I think it's completely irresponsible for students to behave like adults.
the weight of echoes

Re:

Postby Amanda on Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:04 pm

"The best thing about student elections are..."

- this isn't a student election!!!

[hr][s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:44 pm

I wasn't aware anyone took elections seriously?
Prophet Tenebrae

Postby Scunthorpe on Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:49 pm

She didn't seem all that camp when I et her. Oh well...
[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Cannibal Causes Campaign Collapse

Postby Al on Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:47 pm

You ate Germaine Greer? So, the contest to be Rector is now down to two?

[hr]"Shelley and jazz and lieder and love and hymn-tunes and day returns too soon...."
Al

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:39 am

Cannabilism? Well that *IS* underhanded.
Prophet Tenebrae

If only echoes were weighable

Postby Tom Plant on Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:49 am

Whilst I fully agree with Weight of Echoes that student politicians take themselves far too seriously, and should spend their time serving students rather than at party political rallies, I cannot stress enough the importance of a good rector to the student population. It really isn't a trivial issue.

Whatever one may think about Andrew Neil or his predecessor Donald Findlay, one cannot question either of their dedication to serve the students; as far as I am aware, neither of them ever missed a Court meeting. Chairing the University Court is, in my opinion, the Rector's most important job; the amount of things that the university would have slipped through uncriticised if the Rector had not chaired is higher than one might suspect. Issues which directly affect students are approved or otherwise, and it is vital to have a rector who knows his/her stuff and is actually there to do something about it.

So, when you are looking for a rectoral candidate, you may wish to consider who will actually spend the most time in St Andrews dealing with student issues and chairing Court, rather than looking at how much celebrity status they can add or what political message they send to outsiders. St Andrews has plenty of celebrity as it is, if you know what I mean, and I hardly think more would be beneficial.

Good luck from Japan

Tom
Tom Plant

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:35 pm

Woah, deja vu...
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:10 pm

Well, I can't help it. I'd only had a hurried lunch and I was feeling erather peckish at the launch party

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Return to The Sinner's Main Board