Home

TheSinner.net

fit for the best?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

fit for the best?

Postby quarterstaff on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:02 pm

would like to get a few people's ideas of what one needs to be able to do to be fit. i find it odd... compared to most of my friends at uni i would say i was stronger, faster, and had better endurance... but then again, students here are not exactly known for their physical ability (a walk from chattan to tesco seems unbearable to many)

so, ye sinners of st andrews... what do YOU consider a person should be able to do to generally be "fit"? able to run to the end of the west sands and back in less than 3 days? or perhaps simply able to nimbly dodge traffic when nipping from costas to the library?

i patiently await your kind replies.

[hr]

god damned mongolians!
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:37 pm

i consider myself unacceptably unfit, i get a stitch if i stir more than 1 suger into my tea, but at the same time i consider myself healthy (ie i dont actually have anythgin wrong with me as far as illness is concerned.)

but as far as fitness is concerned, its what i get for being a lazy fuck. for ideas of what constitutes fitness, id look up what the physical requirements are for entry to the policeforce or the army for some definitions.

this post would have been impressive, glistening with the sweat of endurence and yet not out of breath at all, except that i ate all the pies instead of training for it.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.macintyre42.plus.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby raheli on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:59 pm

There will ALWAYS be someone faster, stronger, and fitter than you. To consider yourself fit, you should be able to do everything you want to activity wise and not be exhausted afterwards, have no huge risk factors for an early and unpleasant death, and be able to escape effectivey from a fire/flash flood/alien invasion. If you have any kids, you should be strong enough to save them too.
Intelligence is good. I'm not very intelligent myself, but I think it's a nice idea.
raheli

Re:

Postby novium on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:08 am

If I can leave 5 minutes before class starts and still manage to get to get there in time, I consider myself fit enough. It's about a half mile according to the map. Yes, it's all downhill, but that's still a measure of effort when sprinting and dodging and leaping over uneven pavement and tree roots.

But the point is, I can get to class on time. And it's kind of fun.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:15 am

Before i started uni i was about 20 odd stone (near enough 300 pounds for you americans.

I now weight just under 14 (198) , but i dont consider myself fit - i consider myself in shape.

I may run further than some people b4 i faint, but there is always someone who can run further than me.

I think being "fit" has something to do with a persons mental state as to how fit is!

Thats my 10p worth!

Nite
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby terry towelling on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:45 am

Fitness is a measure of how quickly you recover from exercise.

Being able to run for a bus without having to stand with your head between your legs while the driver grumbles and fusses about not having any change. That's probably the basic level of fitness.
terry towelling

Re:

Postby The reason for the word witch on Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:02 am

well, believe me, even you aren't generally unfit, after lying in bed with the flu for a week, every amount of fitness you might have dreamt into yourself will have vanished. It's bloody frustrating!!!
The reason for the word witch

Return to The Sinner's Main Board