Home

TheSinner.net

Election for Chancellor

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Election for Chancellor

Postby Jos Dad on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:14 pm

University press release:"Sir Kenneth Dover, FRSE, FBA, Chancellor of the University of St Andrews, is to retire from office on December 31st 2005".

Perhaps, after the interest that exnihilo showed in the rectorial elections, current Sinners might like to suggest to him, to myself, to Jo, and to the other old men and women who cannot get away from St Andrews who we might consider as Prof Dover's replacement.
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Donald Findlay, Q.C.

[hr]

http://www.ralphcovino.com
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:55 pm

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Alex Jennings on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:59 pm

Donald Findlay?

Huzzah! Now he can make comments about my breasts when he hands me my diploma in addition to all those comments in Lower Parliament Hall!

[hr]

"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
"Look, I told you when we met that I was not a leprechaun, that I was from Rhode Island, and that I was half Korean, but you said it didn't matter."
Alex Jennings

Re:

Postby McK on Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:29 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 17:55, 9th Nov 2005
What's the job description?

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343

There is something in the Universities Act (Scotland), but it requires a statesmanlike detachment from day-to-day business of the university with a general ability to advise and oversee bigger university issues, I reckon.

Nah, Donald Findlay? I think Tobias Joss has more prestige in his little finger than that guy.
McK

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:55 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 17:55, 9th Nov 2005
What's the job description?

From the university website:

"THE CHANCELLOR

The office of the Chancellor has existed since the foundation of the University and no comprehensive definition of its powers has been made in any modern statute. The most authoritative definition is contained in the return made by the University to the Commissioners of 1826 which states: "The Chancellor is head of the University. He is consulted on all public matters relative to its welfare, and he is also Conservator of its privileges. The power of conferring degrees is vested in him: this he may exercise either personally when present or by his depute when absent, with the advice of the doctors and masters of the University."
The present Chancellor is Sir Kenneth Dover, MA, DLitt, LLD, FBA, FRSE, who in terms of The Universities (Scotland) Act 1858 was elected, in 1981, by the General Council and holds office for life. The Chancellor is the ordinary President of the General Council and appoints an Assessor on the University Court."
Al

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Quoting McK from 18:29, 9th Nov 2005Nah, Donald Findlay? I think Tobias Joss has more prestige in his little finger than that guy.

You're most kind. I'll certainly take an active interest in the election, as only graduates can vote we have a duty to get someone good for the University. Of course, it's also by STV which might throw a lot of the electorate and make it something of a lottery.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:08 pm

Someone who understands the Scottish university system and all its little quirks. (Doesn't have to be a big leader in the system, but someone who knows why we're not like an English university).

Someone who values academia and scholarship. I want to be welcomed into the General Council and the recognition of my academic work by someone who respects how important university is-- like I've written in other places, I don't want to be hit on the head with a piece of cloth just by anyone!

Someone who is held in the utmost esteem and is generally seen as a respectable person-- Edinburgh just a few years ago was lobbying its General Council members to get rid of Prince Philip as their Chancellor because the current students felt embarrassed to have him.

Any graduates around who'd like to do it?
[No KK please, there are already too many of them leching about. The group might have started with good intentions back in the early 1900s, but those intentions are no longer valid and its actually creepy how they've stuck about like cockroaches ever since.]

Useful to note that Chancellors used to be royally appointed-- anyone the Queen wants to recommend?

The Latin stuff can be memorized at a later date. He or she would, after all, say the same phrase hundreds of times a year.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:11 pm

What about George Reid, the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament? He's a graduate, well-respected and has done a lot more than just politics.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/msp/m ... orge_reid/

Although he may be more in the Rector line rather than that of Chancellor.

Failing that, there's always the Bishop of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane.
Al

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:25 am

Quoting Alex Jennings from 17:59, 9th Nov 2005
Donald Findlay?

Huzzah! Now he can make comments about my breasts when he hands me my diploma in addition to all those comments in Lower Parliament Hall!

Only if you're lucky.

Re:

Postby maz on Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 am

surely if the chancellor holds the post for life, how do we know he's going to "retire" at the end of the year? Is it all a big conspiracy? Does someone have an evil plot? Is there a nostradamus in our midst?

[hr]

Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P
Well, I bet that you look good on the dancefloor :P

Go see my friend on his band's UK tour. 24 March - 7 April
http://www.thehint.com
maz

Re:

Postby Laura on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:00 am

Quoting maz from 01:34, 10th Nov 2005
surely if the chancellor holds the post for life, how do we know he's going to "retire" at the end of the year? Is it all a big conspiracy? Does someone have an evil plot? Is there a nostradamus in our midst?

Sir Ken is very old, has lost his hearing, is going blind, finds it difficult to move and speak etc- he's retiring for those reasons. And I know he is certainly going to "retire" because he wrote it in a letter to the Debating Society back in September.

[hr]

"What I hanker for, of course, is to be put at the beck and call of some very important hush-hush sort of man who needs to be driven very fast in a long-nosed powerful car to mysterious destinations...But either this type of man is dying out- which I should deplore- or else, which is more likely, he does his own driving."
"When I came back to Dublin, I was courtmartialled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence."
Laura

Re:

Postby Marco Biagi on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:13 pm

Here's a statement by Oxford uni on their Chancellor from when they had their elections in 2003.

Statement by Council on the characteristics of a Chancellor

For the guidance of candidates and electors, Council has agreed to publish the following statement about the Chancellorship.

The Chancellorship is not an executive office and the formal duties are relatively few. Chief amongst these are presiding at ceremonies such as Encaenia and at the Chancellor's Court of Benefactors and also, if the Chancellor wishes, chairing the Committee for the Nomination of the Vice-Chancellor. The office is, however, much more than symbolic (important though its symbolic role is).

The Chancellor must be visibly committed to the independence of universities and to the values for which they stand. He or she must have the stature, both intellectually and in all other respects, appropriate to Oxford's position as a leading international university and, through his or her own qualities, must be able to enhance the University's reputation both within the UK and abroad. He or she must have the confidence and ability to preside convincingly at occasions such as Encaenia and to take the leading role as far as possible at the many other official events which the Chancellor is likely to be called on to attend in the University and its colleges, and from time to time as the University's representative at major occasions outside Oxford. The Chancellor is ex officio Visitor of five colleges and the person appointed must also be appropriate for this role.

The Chancellor must have wide experience which can be drawn on when required to support and further the purposes of the University. He or she must be a person of integrity and have tact, discretion and sound judgement, being able to give advice and guidance when called on, particularly by the Vice- Chancellor. He or she must be sensitive to the University's aspirations and to the concerns of current students and staff, and an authoritative figure capable of presenting the University's interests to a wide variety of constituencies, such as major world figures, benefactors or potential benefactors, and alumni. For the proper fulfilment of the office, the Chancellor must be readily accessible and available throughout the year to exercise his or her duties, both formal and informal.

Although by tradition the Chancellor has been an eminent figure from politics, law or the church, these are not necessarily the only backgrounds from which a Chancellor might come. The characteristics of those who have achieved distinction in such fields are, however, typical of the characteristics required in a Chancellor and described above.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2002-3/supps/1_4645.htm
Marco Biagi

Re:

Postby bdw on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:07 pm

For your consideration: The Right Hon The Lord Cullen of Whitekirk, outgoing (in two weeks time) Lord President of the Court of Session. He is a graduate of St Andrews (as well as having an honorary degree from the university) and over the years chaired the public inquiries into Piper Alpha, Dunblane and Ladbroke Grove. Or is this straying into Rector territory as well?
bdw

Re:

Postby McK on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Lord Cullen would be a splendid choice. I had forgotten he was retiring. His academic links to St Andrews are an added bonus.
McK

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:33 pm

For what it's worth, I would endorse Lord Cullen.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby McK on Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:39 pm

Yeah, although at 70 his term in office - should he (like Sir Kenneth) decide to retire before infirmity takes over - might be a little shorter than might be desired.

As a graduate, though, I'd definitely support Cullen as a candidate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Cullen
McK

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:29 pm

I should have thought that 15 years of service, though not matching Sir Kenneth's 24, would be pretty good.
exnihilo

Another idea

Postby La Jouissance on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 pm

While speaking with a friend and fellow general council member on this topic, a few names cropped up. Best among them was the The Most Revd. Richard Holloway, sometime Primus of the Scottish Episcopalian Church and all round good egg.

Any thoughts?
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:59 pm

I think it would be nice to find someone who, like Sir Kenneth, was neither peer nor bishop - seeing as he's the only one we've ever had who matches that description.
exnihilo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board