Home

TheSinner.net

Pet peeve about lights left on

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Pet peeve about lights left on

Postby Chain Mailer on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:00 pm

I know it sounds very pernickety but it really irritates me the amount of shops that leave their lights on ALL BLOODY NIGHT!!!! I mean HELLO! who the hell goes window shopping at 2 in the bloody morning?!?! Have they never heard of the words energy conservation?! Don't they feel guilty about the amount of energy and money they're wasting?!?!
Anyways, that's just my thought, am thinking of putting flyers on their windows highlighting their obvious ignorance and requesting that they stop. Unfortunatly I think it would just be a waste of time (not to mention paper!) so maybe just a rock through their windows with a note wrapped round it would make the point more quickly.
What do people think?

[hr]

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby kitty on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:03 pm

well, having worked in a shop that leaves their lights on all night, I know that they would probably respond by saying that they leave the lights on to decrease the chances of burglary. Some theory about if the burglars can be seen they won't do it. I agree with you, but that's what my store told me.

Quoting Chain Mailer from 21:00, 11th Nov 2005
I know it sounds very pernickety but it really irritates me the amount of shops that leave their lights on ALL BLOODY NIGHT!!!! I mean HELLO! who the hell goes window shopping at 2 in the bloody morning?!?! Have they never heard of the words energy conservation?! Don't they feel guilty about the amount of energy and money they're wasting?!?!
Anyways, that's just my thought, am thinking of putting flyers on their windows highlighting their obvious ignorance and requesting that they stop. Unfortunatly I think it would just be a waste of time (not to mention paper!) so maybe just a rock through their windows with a note wrapped round it would make the point more quickly.
What do people think?

[hr]

kitty

Re:

Postby Steveo on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:18 pm

Goddamn tree hugging ecohippy.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby raheli on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:03 pm

yeah right steve, you'll really be whistling when we're all up to our necks in seawater and gas is £3 a litre with no viable alternative. even if you care about nothing but profit, surely destroying the world will put a little crimp in business?
Intelligence is good. I'm not very intelligent myself, but I think it's a nice idea.
raheli

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:51 am

...but not gin.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Smith on Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:01 am

Quoting raheli from 23:03, 11th Nov 2005
yeah right steve, you'll really be whistling when we're all up to our necks in seawater and gas is £3 a litre with no viable alternative. even if you care about nothing but profit, surely destroying the world will put a little crimp in business?

When exactly will we all be up to our necks in seawater? There is no evidence to suggest that global sea levels are rising at all.

[hr]

We're not drunk, we're multi-millionaires...
IMAGE:img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ryanlewisjones/burlyman.jpg
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting Smith from 04:01, 12th Nov 2005 There is no evidence to suggest that global sea levels are rising at all.
So where is all the ice going? Mars? The Moon? Evaporating into space? Holiday?

I can't help but think that with ice-caps melting sea levels will rise(unless the earth is a huge sentient sponge). Whether this it to do with Global Warming or not is debatable, whether the Sea Levels rise or not...ask Holland.

Frank
Frank

Re:

Postby Smith on Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:24 am

Actually I think you'll find that on the whole ice is not melting at all, and in Antarctica the ice caps are actually getting bigger, and since most of the worlds ice is there, I don't think that there is much of a problem.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Melkor on Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:50 am

In the past sea levels have been several hundred meters higher than there are now, and they could well be again in the future without man's influence...

I think we could also say:

"Pet peeve about SERVER left on

I know it sounds very pernickety but it really irritates me the SERVER FOR THESINNER.NET STAYS on ALL BLOODY NIGHT!!!! I mean HELLO! who the hell goes POSTING MESSAGES at 2 in the bloody morning?!?! Have they never heard of the words energy conservation?! Don't they feel guilty about the amount of energy and money they're wasting?!?!"

Heh heh ;)
Melkor

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:40 am

Quoting Smith from 04:01, 12th Nov 2005
There is no evidence to suggest that global sea levels are rising at all.

Actually there does appear to be good evidence for sea level rises. Tide records show the level has been rising by an average of 1.9mm/year over the last 100 years, although different studies put this between 1 and 4 mm/year. More recent satellite radar altimetry shows a global increase of around 3.6mm/year, with local departures from this of up to 80mm/year. It is mostly not melting ice that contributes to this (although it has some role to play), it is thermal expansion of the oceans due to the increase in global temperature of roughly a degree over the same 100-year period.

St Andrews needn't worry quite so much, since the land is rising by about 1mm/year due to post-glacial isostatic readjustment, however London is sinking by 1.5mm/year due to the same process.

The question about sea level is not whether it is happening but whether the effects we see are man-made.

Hannah, J., J. Geophys. Res., 95, no. B8, 1990.
Maul, G. A., and D. M. Martin, Geophys. Res. Letters, 20, no. 18, 1955-1958, 1993.
Inter-Agency Committee on Marine Science and Technology, UK Marine Waters 2004 - Marine Processes & Climate

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Rob on Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:26 pm

Quoting Gubbins from 10:40, 12th Nov 2005
London is sinking by 1.5mm/year due to the same process.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.

Hooray!
Rob

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:26 pm

Ice caps melting won't raise sea levels. That ice already displaces water, so surely it's melting won't cause a rise in sea levels.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:27 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:26, 12th Nov 2005
Ice caps melting won't raise sea levels. That ice already displaces water, so surely it's melting won't cause a rise in sea levels.

[hr]

Not my ethics.

Only true for the ice that is below sea level
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Chain Mailer on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:47 pm

Considering that at least half the mass extinctions that have occured on earth are believed to have arisen due to fluctuations in sea level I think it's safe to say that at some point sea levels will rise.

Maybe I should just write on the shop windows in soap! saves on paper waste

[hr]

Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Smith on Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:31 pm

the point i was trying to make is that i don't think human interference will change sea levels to any real extent. The evidence is sketchy as to wether humans have caused a rise in global temperature as well, since climate is known to change unpredictably.

[hr]

Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Chain Mailer on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:06 pm

True, but whether leaving lights on will cause sea levels to rise is not really the main reason I have an issue with the shops. It's the fact they are pointlessly wasting energy (which is running out, even if the sea levels aren't suppossedly rising). That's why I'm peeved

[hr]

Chain Mailer

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:07 pm

I just thought, reading the topic of the thread, do you leave the lights on or off, if you catch my drift? Wink wink nudge nudge.

[hr]

Not my ethics.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:21 pm

Go take an ice-cube, a glass of water and ruler and tell me that again.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.btinternet.com/~brother.war/white10-2.gif
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:17 pm

Quoting Prophet Tenebrae from 16:21, 12th Nov 2005

Go take an ice-cube, a glass of water and ruler and tell me that again.

A little bit different that as there are two mechanisms at work.

1.The ice is 9/10 below water due to it having only a slightly lesser density than water. So 1/10 of an ice cube is a pretty small amount anyway.
2. when the ice melts into water its density increase and thus its volume shrinks.

Not all ice is floating on water remember
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:05 pm

Yeah, the antartic has land as some of the artic ice caps rest on land a various times of the year.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board