Home

TheSinner.net

Privacy Threat - Facebook

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:59 pm

Quoting from 22:24, 1st Dec 2005
It should also be noted that Facebook flagrantly flounts the laws regarding the transfer of personal data from the uk to the USA/Canada.

Nobody else spotted that?

excuse my ignorance - what laws might these be and what do they provide?

Re:

Postby username on Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:35 pm

It's not just about movies and music it's also about political beliefs.
username

Re:

Postby Colin on Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting username from 14:35, 2nd Dec 2005

It is a website - a public forum, even if it is limited to just students, there are still 1000s of people you are sharing anything you put on it with.

Simple answer, if you don't want any information public, don't post it.
Colin

Re:

Postby username on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:44 pm

Quoting Colin from 16:52, 2nd Dec 2005
Quoting username from 14:35, 2nd Dec 2005

It is a website - a public forum, even if it is limited to just students, there are still 1000s of people you are sharing anything you put on it with.

Simple answer, if you don't want any information public, don't post it.

First this is not about me, as I already said I am using other services which are of a better level. The point is not that some people can view your profile, it's that your information is sold. People don't realise that any kind of beliefs could be used against them in the future. Also they can change their policy anytime and your info will still be in their hands even if you don't agree by then.
Sometimes people have to lose something in order to appreciate it but then it's just too late and might be very difficult or impossible to get it back...
username

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 pm

FACEBOOK IS WATCHING YOU

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Colin on Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting username from 21:44, 2nd Dec 2005People don't realise that any kind of beliefs could be used against them in the future. Also they can change their policy anytime and your info will still be in their hands even if you don't agree by then.
Sometimes people have to lose something in order to appreciate it but then it's just too late and might be very difficult or impossible to get it back...

I'd be careful posting on the sinner if i were you. In a couple of years, you could come back here and realise that you come across as some paranoid conspiracy nut, and not be able to take it back.
Colin

Re:

Postby Admin on Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:44 am

Maybe so, but I'm not going to tell anyone.
Admin

Re:

Postby quarterstaff on Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:04 am

ultimately, i'm with stalin on this one:

"the innocent have nothing to fear"

what are YOU hiding, username? I, myself, feel it only right to allow free transmission of information.

[hr]

god damned mongolians!
god damned mongolians!
quarterstaff

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:52 am

Yeah the innocent had a great time in Communist Russia.

[hr]

IMAGE:img9.imgspot.com/u/04/241/18/160019.jpg Too far.
Midget

Re:

Postby username on Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:00 pm

Quoting quarterstaff from 02:04, 3rd Dec 2005
ultimately, i'm with stalin on this one:

"the innocent have nothing to fear"

what are YOU hiding, username? I, myself, feel it only right to allow free transmission of information.

[hr]

god damned mongolians!

The innocent unfortunately has to have fears in our society, just check what happens every day. I wish it wasn't that way. As I said twice this is not about me. If I had something to hide I would just hide it and there would be no need for a post. Do what you want with your information, the purpose of this post is to inform people and not to make them change by force. If you like being a victim keep being, it's up to you.
username

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:11 am

in Soviet Russia, facebook wastes time on you...

as for the amount of information, my marketing lecturer cut his Nectar card in half as it gave comanies tens of thousands of pounds worth of demographic and purchasing information that marketers could use and all he got in return for it was £1 off every £100 of petrol that he bought.

as the dude says, you would be surprised about how much information marketers can use through things like this.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:46 am

Think about all the info you give out. Not just on websites like facebook, but think about the bank. They have so much info about you. not just your bank details, but name, address, mother's maiden name.

Ebay. Hotmail. The university. The bank. Facebook. Charities you give money to (damn chuggers). Your school. Credit card companies. Birth records. Hospitals.

So many people know so much about you that if some random came up to you in the street and asked you for any of this info you'd probably give it over "You want my bank card? sure! here's the pin too!"

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

[hr]

IMAGE: i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/harveytheayeaye/eddie2s.gif Eddie laughs at YOU
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Meh

Postby Malcolm on Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:54 am

This is getting silly.

Facebook is just a manifestation of the common world - people have our information no matter what.

The Police and government departments have every second of our lives on file, supermarkets and banks have detailed records of your spending habits and what you buy, everywhere you go in the streets you are watched by CCTV, and yet you all worry about a few people you know from University getting your e-mail address or laughing at you for liking the Backstreet Boys.

It's all a bit of fun. You can close your Facebook account at any time if you're really that bothered.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:58 pm

Quoting username from 18:00, 3rd Dec 2005The innocent unfortunately has to have fears in our society, just check what happens every day. I wish it wasn't that way. As I said twice this is not about me. If I had something to hide I would just hide it and there would be no need for a post. Do what you want with your information, the purpose of this post is to inform people and not to make them change by force. If you like being a victim keep being, it's up to you.

Victim? Christ, we freely sign up to a website, not reading the privacy and terms is not being victimised, it's being lazy. You're only 'alerting' people to the publicly published and easily accessible information.

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board