Home

TheSinner.net

American interested in coming...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

American interested in coming...

Postby VThigh on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:49 am

what do you think you need to get in... statistics and extra curriculars. I would love to come but don't know if i even stand a chance.
VThigh

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:55 am

I was admitted on a 5 and two 4s on my APs, and a 1200+ SAT (under the old system, this new system is Greek to me).

As far as extra-curricular activities go, it's a different story here than it is in the states. Here you're showing that you're an interesting person who has a real, adult life, not someone who has done 3 million hours at the old folks home just because your high school required it.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Orcas on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:27 pm

I had two 4's, two 3's and a 1 on AP's, and 1080 SAT, but a high ACT, don't remember the score, 27 or such I think. It helps if your AP scores are high in the subject you want to study here, as it is similar to the A-levels taken here and part of the way they judge what UK kids to accept. Extra-cirricular, what was said above, what you did in life, not what was required.
Orcas

Re:

Postby moron on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:46 pm

I'm an unregistered user who would like to make stupid insults at Americans, without realising that my posts are screened by mods, and that said mods might be American themselves. You might say that makes me as stupid and arrogant as the people I insult.

If I don't like having my posts screened, I should register.
moron

Re:

Postby DeepBlue on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:35 pm

Quoting moron from 10:52, 7th Dec 2005
I'm an unregistered user who would like to make stupid insults at Americans, without realising that my posts are screened by mods, and that said mods might be American themselves. You might say that makes me as stupid and arrogant as the people I insult.

Because when you register mods good! ;)
DeepBlue

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:56 pm

I don't feel it is right of a mod to reject a post on the basis of their own personal beliefs/opinions. New mod, whoever you are, don't be an american cunt. :P

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby tordenskjold on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:18 pm

that MOD stole his freedom of speech!! controversial! but did replace it with something infinitely more interesting than some random diatribe against americans.

[hr]

Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
Kæmp for alt hvad du har kært,
Dø om så det gælder.
Da er livet ej så svært,
Døden ikke heller.
tordenskjold

Re:

Postby Rennie on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:40 pm

DrAlex, I assume you are the mod in question. We on the Sinner have a fine tradition of insulting people of all natioanlties, and to be honest, usually Americans. I feel violated by your intrusion, and think you should resign your post as Mod with immediate effect, as you have a conflict of interests.

Or you could just insult the British as well.
Rennie

Re:

Postby DeepBlue on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:56 pm

I'm a bit dissapointed, judging by the title I was hoping this thread was going to be smut.
DeepBlue

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:57 pm

Quoting Rennie from 23:40, 7th Dec 2005
We on the Sinner have a fine tradition of insulting people

If this was a regular user, I wouldn't have even dreamed of doing it. It was an unregistered user. They aren't people.

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Lauren on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:10 am

I'm an American who has been admitted for 2006 entry. I was really suprised to hear of my acceptance, since I didn't have any AP scores to submit and everyone was telling me how important they were! Really the only qualifications I had were my SAT score (2150), one SAT II of 640 on literature, and my status as a national merit commended scholar (not sure if that did anything). I made sure that other parts of my app. compensated for my lack of AP scores, though... I had excellent letters of rec, I submitted writing samples and syllabi, and went through several drafts on my personal statement. My GPA was 3.9 unweighted at a competitive high school, and I took some honors and AP classes (not a ton, but enough apparently). I also frequently contacted the uni. so they knew I was interested!

If you search these forums for "SAT" or "GPA," then you should come up with some threads asking the exact same question with answers. I don't think getting accepted at St. Andrews is as difficult as getting into an Ivy League... because, believe me, never in a million years would I be accepted at Dartmouth or Cornell.

Good luck, and be sure to learn how to write the personal statement the British way. Also, if you are reading this, DrAlex, I just want to tell you that I am basically indebted to you for the rest of my life. Your advice on writing the personal statement helped me so much! If I come to St. Andrews next year, I'm going to hunt you down and personally give you twelve pounds of chocolate or some equivilant. Thank you!
Lauren

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:12 am

Quoting moron from 10:52, 7th Dec 2005

I am the unregistered user in question and what this moderator obviously fails to realise is that the post I made was in fact sarcastic and actually wasn't even particularly offensive.

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting Lauren from 01:32, 8th Dec 2005
Also, if you are reading this, DrAlex, I just want to tell you that I am basically indebted to you for the rest of my life. Your advice on writing the personal statement helped me so much! If I come to St. Andrews next year, I'm going to hunt you down and personally give you twelve pounds of chocolate or some equivilant. Thank you!

Well, you're very welcome. (Sounds like I might have an academic daughter lined up).

To the unreg who's post I modded, I am happy to see that you didn't just come here and insult me, I really am. The reason I deleted your joke was not because I thought you were being serious, but because I thought it wasn't the time or place to make such jokes; what with someone asking for help on entry. Please consider registering to take advantage of the wealth of features on The Sinner.

[hr]

DrAlex

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:22 pm

Thing about AP is, they don't accept it here. I took lots of AP courses for my last two years of high school (If I'd gone to some of the other universities I was appliying to, I would have had a whole year written off). However, as soon as I found out I was coming here, I knew that to take the tests (and pay $75 for each) would be useless. St Andrews didn't care. They cared more about me actually taking the courses and seeing my grades than seeing the tests' results.

But that was in the bygone years before Steve (as you will learn to call "him"). Not technically before Steve, but before it had been announced and subsequent floods of competing applications and subsequent confusion of what the entry requirements were to be.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby José Jimenez on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 15:22, 8th Dec 2005
Thing about AP is, they don't accept it here. I took lots of AP courses for my last two years of high school (If I'd gone to some of the other universities I was appliying to, I would have had a whole year written off). However, as soon as I found out I was coming here, I knew that to take the tests (and pay $75 for each) would be useless. St Andrews didn't care. They cared more about me actually taking the courses and seeing my grades than seeing the tests' results.

But that was in the bygone years before Steve (as you will learn to call "him"). Not technically before Steve, but before it had been announced and subsequent floods of competing applications and subsequent confusion of what the entry requirements were to be.

[hr]

I love cheese.

Disagree Bonnie, the Biology department allowed me to place out of Cell Biology and Genetics because I got a 5 on the AP Biology exam. I think the same goes for A-levels.

The Chemistry department would have allowed me to place out with a 4 on the AP Chemistry, but recommended I take the Foundation Course, which I did.
[i:14sl8z47][s]"Ooh Megatron!" -Carry On Transformers[/s][/i:14sl8z47]
José Jimenez

Re:

Postby The Dude on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:59 pm

Quoting José Jimenez from 15:52, 8th Dec 2005
Quoting Bonnie from 15:22, 8th Dec 2005

[hr]

I love cheese.

Disagree Bonnie, the Biology department allowed me to place out of Cell Biology and Genetics because I got a 5 on the AP Biology exam. I think the same goes for A-levels.

The Chemistry department would have allowed me to place out with a 4 on the AP Chemistry, but recommended I take the Foundation Course, which I did.

It is probably the difference between Arts and science courses. I don't mean for this to turn into a subject bashing thread as that is not my intention. To a certain degree though it has always seemed to me that at least at the lower levels the sciences build on each other in a chronological order. To use the example of math since it is so clear cut you need to know Algebra to do geometry to know calculus and so on and so fourth. I would imagine that is works similarly with the other sciences as well. With arts subjects though they do not teach skill so much but approaches to ideas. To use the example of english, we did Beowulf in our AP english class back in highschool. That said the approach that we took for it in first year english was totally different not to mention that since we are older and wiser, the number of ideas we can incorporate has grown. It makes sense than if have reached a basic level of comprehension and skill set in a course like chemistry, and have a 5 on the AP to show for it, it would be a waste of time to do the course over again. With an arts subject though you are not learning concrete skills but approaching ideas in the abstract, so even if you have done the AP there are many more approaches you can take on the same subject.

In response to the initial question, I had got a 3 on AP english language, a 4 on AP english lit, and a 5 on AP US History. I got a 1350 on my SAT's (though I know that has changed since I took them) and had a somewhere around a 3.5 at a competitive with mainly honors and AP courses. I didn't have many extra curricular but the few I had I had been dedicated to for a while, so you can take that however you like. In terms of how competitive the School is, it is not as hard to get into as an Ivy or other top University in the US (probably is on par with a school like Boston College) but the education is just as good, I would wager. Also it is hard to compare the education you get since you specialize a lot earlier and you do the same breadth of courses. It is all what you look for. Personally I also got into the University of Chicago and I have friends who got into places like Duke and Columbia. I would not change my mind for a second though and I doubt they would either. What St. Andrews may lack in comparison to a top US school it more than makes up for in experience. I would certainly work hard to get in as it is no walk in the park but I would highly recommend it if you do. I have spent the best year and a half of my life here and the next two and half are shaping up to be just as good.
The Dude

Re:

Postby jennyo on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Is it bad of me that when I read the title I thought 'So buy a vibrator'?

It would be nice if St Andrews is accepting AP scores now, as some people seem to be saying - when I was accepted in 1999 I ended up spending over 200 useless dollars on AP exams. Hurrah!

[hr]

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -Friedrich Nietzsche
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

i am still in highschool

Postby VThigh on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:31 pm

i am still in highschool and have a pretty low GPA, about a 3.1, i have never recieved a C and got a 1200 on my PSATs, i have a lot of extracurriculars, including sports and being the captain/president of a few clubs. I would love to come but i don't know if i cut it.
VThigh

Re:

Postby José Jimenez on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:28 pm

Quoting VThigh from 02:31, 7th Dec 2005
what do you think you need to get in... statistics and extra curriculars. I would love to come but don't know if i even stand a chance.

I suggest you make your decision to come to St Andrews very carefully. In terms of science subjects, I believe you would be much better served by attending a University in the United States.

I studied Chemistry and Biology here, and can state confidently that the teaching methods used are dated and the facilties poor. This will be the case for your first two years. The chemistry labs in particular are ancient and falling apart, and are not due to be replaced anytime soon. The Chemistry course is very near maximum enrolment at the moment.

Some of the lecturers are are terrible, most middling, and a key few excellent (Dr Shearer and Dr Cole-Hamilton come to mind). This however is the case at any University.

In general, first year courses are pitched higher than those in the United states. Again there are some exceptions - Cell Biology and Genetics, which recently underwent a name change to I don't know what used the same textbook as my AP biology class.

It can be fun here, but in general do not expect

• To go to a game (football, soccer, etc) on a Friday

• World class facilities in anything, unless you are a PostGrad

• People to care that (insert anything here - library, girls, sports, weather) is better in America

The truth is the University is much more interested in the £11,000+ you'll be paying per year to attend and live here than you as a person - if you seem fairly well rounded, have decent test scores (especially AP's in the case of science) you will be admitted - and very quickly too - I got my decision in about a month.

If you have any reservation about studying abroad, I suggest you attend a University in the US and come here on an exchange program. I know plenty of Americans here that do regret coming here as undergraduates, but don't want to leave as they are already too specialized as sophmores or 1st semester Juniors to graduate back in the US in four years.
[i:14sl8z47][s]"Ooh Megatron!" -Carry On Transformers[/s][/i:14sl8z47]
José Jimenez

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:36 pm

{admin removed} Play nice, Al...
Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board