Home

TheSinner.net

Exam Essay Phrase Challenge

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Exam Essay Phrase Challenge

Postby Lodestone on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, my first exam went reasonably well.

More importantly, I performed adequately in the get-a-random-phrase-into-your-essay challenge:

The problem is that one does not know one's conception of the good will be—one may want to curb the immigrant population in order to preserve national identity, or one may be an immigrant seeking refuge from persecution—one simply does not know.

However, my friend Roddy put in the best performance at the challenge I've ever seen:

Nozick's philosophy is something like a black forest gateau: the delicious layers of whipped cream and chcocolate are a delight to those who can afford them, but on consumption give very little nutritional value. Rawls, on the other hand, could be compared to a brussel sprout: unattractive, but of great worth.

--

Use this thread to issue a challenge to all-comers, and to report subsequen t successes. However, please don't make it as difficult as I have for the poor chap I've assigned "rare vietnamese ferret".
Lodestone

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Yeah, curb the immigration problem is shit mate. The gateau one is pretty darn good.

I think I got candle wax into a first year management one.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 15:58, 12th Jan 2006
Yeah, curb the immigration problem is shit mate.

Hey, don't blame me. I didn;t give it to myself. It was just that the issuer didn't realise that I was taking Political Philosophy.

Go on, give me a tougher one. I can take it. I'm sitting Knowledge and Reality, which has to be about as fruitful for randomness as conceivably possible.
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Smith on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:06 pm

how about "kill all the penguins"
or "suck my snot"

[hr]

We're not drunk, we're multi-millionaires...
IMAGE:img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ryanlewisjones/burlyman.jpg
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:10 pm

I described protein and enzyme relationships in terms of a naive young woman who thought she could change a womanizer respectively in my first year bio final...

[hr]

La loi est dure, mais l'aigle ne chasse pas les mouches.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Lol...might use that analogy in my 4th year Political Philsophy exam on Monday - Rawls vs Nozick question......stupid libertarians....why can't everyone just agree with Rawls and save me having to answer pointless questions on him?

Yes as you can tell Econometrics 2 went very badly for me this morning...gah....
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:22 pm

I always used "mindful" in my exam papers, as it's a word that only ever seems to be used in Star Wars.

My mate did the same challenge when he was at school by opening a dictionary at random and gave himself grallatorial, meaning with the nature of a long legged bird, or stork.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Lodestone on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Damn, that would have fitted perfectly into my environemntalist anti-democracy arguments. Too late now.

But if another option doesn;t come along, I'ss see if I can squeeze it in :-)

I described protein and enzyme relationships in terms of a naive young woman who thought she could change a womanizer respectively in my first year bio final..

Impressive. I was very tempted to use my Star Wars Episode I analogy for Rawls's opinions on international justice: long-awaited and heartbreakingly disappointingly shite on publication.

why can't everyone just agree with Rawls and save me having to answer pointless questions on him

Well, according to my exam essay, because
1. A fundamentalist theocratic religion cannot function participatorially in a pluralist secular democracy
2. Abstracting an individual from eir community ignores the importance of community in creating self-identity
3. The OP is selfish to a generation, preventing the choosing of principles that protect the environment
4. Fundamentally, the principles Rawls chooses are only rational if one is risk-averse, which is certainly not necessarily so in the OP.

*yawn*
Lodestone

Re:

Postby Little Miss Giggles on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Still going with the Star Wars theme (I had no idea it was so popular in essays!) when I was looking up information about stem cells for my essay, I found a lovely journal article about cancer stem cells being like Jedi that had gone over to the dark side.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

I, of course, had to get this into my Hons essay exam on Wednesday, and did! Less random than a black forest gateau I know, but not a bad effort for a Medicine essay, I thought.
Little Miss Giggles

Re:

Postby the reason for the word w on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:49 pm

Boo, my only exam was a translation... and randomness in a translation is kinda difficult. Oh well, my next one in May will be on Dante... that should leave room for randomness. Lodestone, how about "mutilation is a shark's best friend"? I would like to see that one work...

[hr]

Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
Are you a terrorist?
- Depends! Are you terrified?
the reason for the word w

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:55 pm

I got "black cocks" into the second paragraph of my MSc essay yesterday : go me!

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby ronald villiers on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 pm

Quoting Lodestone from 16:26, 12th Jan 2006

Damn, that would have fitted perfectly into my environemntalist anti-democracy arguments. Too late now.

*yawn*

the point is that the phrase you use hasn't supposed to fit perfectly, otherwise there is no point.

[hr]

If at first you don't succeed, in wi' the boot an' then the heed.
There's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear
Than to stand in a bar, of a pub with no beer
ronald villiers

Re:

Postby David Bean on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Quoting ronald villiers from 18:57, 12th Jan 2006the point is that the phrase you use hasn't supposed to fit perfectly, otherwise there is no point.

I thought that the point was to engineer a situation in which it did fit perfectly.

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:50 pm

a few years ago i managed to get something along the lines of:

"so and so's use of the 3rd person does as critic X say "have both advantages and drawbacks". As eric idle (?) might have observed of critic x's statement "thats bleeding obvious".

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:57 pm

Not a phrase, but I think the word 'macaroon(s)' is a good challenge.

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby ronald villiers on Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting David Bean from 19:37, 12th Jan 2006
Quoting ronald villiers from 18:57, 12th Jan 2006the point is that the phrase you use hasn't supposed to fit perfectly, otherwise there is no point.

I thought that the point was to engineer a situation in which it did fit perfectly.

[hr]

I'm your Guardian Angel.

well yes, as long as engineering is done. there is no point in having a phrase which just fits in without any thought like the immigrants.

[hr]

If at first you don't succeed, in wi' the boot an' then the heed.
There's nothing so lonesome, so morbid or drear
Than to stand in a bar, of a pub with no beer
ronald villiers

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:51 pm

It depends on context really, for instance nobody would bat an eyelid if put "molluscan penis" into a marine biology paper, but it would certainly be out of place in a geography one. Likewise, macaroons wouldnt be out of place in an art history answer, as we know that all they do is drink wine and eat cakes all day.

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:03 pm

take your pick from my two favourite lines of Larkin

Crow shat on Buckingham Palace
God pissed himself

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 21:51, 12th Jan 2006
eat cakes all day.

One day, I have to marry an artist.

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby mwahahaha on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:28 pm

I used the words gurth and spurt in the same sentence in an exam. Wonder what I was thinking about. To be honest I knew that using them would distract the marker from how shit the essay was.
mwahahaha

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board