Home

TheSinner.net

google and the bop

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby lizzie_liz on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:28 pm

considering only the main bar was open i nevar had to wait that long for a drink only about 10 minutes...i must have found the quiet end of the bar!!!
lizzie_liz

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 04:11, 22nd Jan 2006
*insert generic "if you dont like the union make your own one out of cheese and sand comment*

There's a long-standing joke about making a new Union out of Edam cheese-- but not very many people find it funny.

[hr]

I love cheese.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Admin on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:56 pm

The Google ads on The Sinner are paid per click, rather than per page impression.

Please don't just click on the adverts - that's not fair on the advertisers. Only click on stuff that you're interested in.
Admin

Re:

Postby undisclosed on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:17 pm

When deciding whether or not to open the Venue1 bar, there are many more issues to consider than staff.

Let's say the beer bar pipes are around 8 pints long. With approx 8 fonts, that's 64 pints of beer. At an average of £2 a pint, that's £128.
Staffing costs - 3 staff at £4.85/hour for 5 hours = £72.75

Lighting and heating for Venue 1 is rather costly - it takes about 10 hours to heat up (no idea of cost), and the lighting (approx 100kW [s](based on 16 x 2kW intelligent lights and around 50 1kW+ generic lights)[/s] for 5 hours at 30p/kWh = £150)

So what do we have? £350.75 give or take.

To put on a bop with no bar, it would basically cost £150, which it's reasonable to assume could be made up from increased bar takings in the main bar.

The union is there to provide a service to its students, but to comply with charity law (and good business sense), it's unfeasible to spend more money on an event than the event makes.

And let's face it - how many more complaints would there be if the union were to have charged you for a bop with no bar?

[hr]
Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture

[edit: please feel free to correct anything if I've made any ill-founded assumptions or missed anything out]
undisclosed

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:22 pm

Your figures are utter bollocks - since when was the average union pint price £2 - not to mention that that is the sales price and not the price at which it was purchased. It is far more likely that the average non-sales pint costs around £1.

Also, 8 pint lines? I dont't know the union set up so you might be right but if you are its a bad setup.

A more reasonable line length is around 2.5 pints.

So, we have £20 cost instead of your unfathomable number. Plus the staff costs bringing it to around £100 extra. On the busy main bar nights I probably spend around £10 less when I can't be arsed waiting in the queue. At 60% unit price markup that mean 17 people doing the same as I before it would become more profitable to open the other bar.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:29 pm

I thought venue 1 heats itself through body heat, so that it is freezing at the start of a night and like a sauna by 1AM

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:44 pm

i was gonna post a (slightly) better set of figures for the lighting, but they actually dont count, as depreciation on the lights happens regardless if they are used or not, and lighting costs change depending on the person opping (and the type of bop).

It also doesnt take that long to heat up, essentially, body heat and the lighting help.

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby M_A_T_T_H_E_W on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:43 pm

I would guess, but I don't know, that the extraction fans and the amps use more energy than the lights do.

[hr]

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
Please note the above post is not written in English, it is wrottenin obsurce language similar in many ways to English but wit many subtle and major differences.

M_A_T_T_H_E_W

Re:

Postby M_A_T_T_H_E_W on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:50 pm

The generics are turned on for no more than 1h during a bop (and probably much less than that)

[hr]

The union loses the amount of money it could have sold the pint for, not the amount of money it bought it for, if it remains in the barrel it can be sold at its price as is bought price has already come out of the acount

[hr]

Please note the above post is not written in English, it is wrottenin obsurce language similar in many ways to English but wit many subtle and major differences.

M_A_T_T_H_E_W

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting M_A_T_T_H_E_W from 15:43, 24th Jan 2006
I would guess, but I don't know, that the extraction fans and the amps use more energy than the lights do.

nope, lights would use more, amps are max 60Amps (and even then, they arent, i think they are about 30A)

Intelligents would take more than that themsleves.

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:00 am

The bar being shut doesn't put me off the Bop, but it was nicer back at the start of the semester just being able to slip off the dance floor, down something and dance some more.

But if you're lucky to get a short(ish) queue in the main bar, then it's hardly a problem. Granted the Bop has fun factor x1000 if you're wasted.
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:48 am

Quoting M_A_T_T_H_E_W from 15:50, 24th Jan 2006

The union loses the amount of money it could have sold the pint for, not the amount of money it bought it for, if it remains in the barrel it can be sold at its price as is bought price has already come out of the acount

Um. No. That would only be true if there was a limit on the amount of beer that could be purchased by the SA. As it is, the limit is actually the amount people are willing to buy.

In other words, the cost to the SA is not from the beer that is no longer going to be sold, but from the extra beer that we have to buy.

[hr]

http://www.yourunion.net/main/representation/
Ben Reilly

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board