Home

TheSinner.net

Haig flooded?!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Haig flooded?!

Postby Lid on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:54 pm

(Trying again, due to Sinner fault)

Yes, I know this should belong on the DRA board, but I thought it was important enough to warrant a thread here.

Rumour has it that Haig's been flooded from above, destroying some of the flats below.

I hear this isn't the first time this has happened, Scott 9 destroyed the flats below it a year or two ago. Is it about time we started walking round with umbrellas?

Oh, and the DRA powercut today, if you were wondering, was over this.

Displaced by all this? Rant away :)

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby McNugget on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:29 pm

one of the flats on the bottom of lang is flooded too, and they couldn't get anything done about it yesterday because the office wasn't open.
McNugget

Re:

Postby Duffman on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:33 pm

Quoting McNugget from 16:29, 22nd Jan 2006
one of the flats on the bottom of lang is flooded too, and they couldn't get anything done about it yesterday because the office wasn't open.

It's not exactly flooded, the diswasher just soaked the linoleum part of the kitchen. Soggy would be a better description.

[hr]

Sometimes people leave you, halfway through the woods.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby Steveo on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:36 pm

I mean, what builders in their right mind make a building out of old newspapers and load bearing paint?

[hr]

Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Light the Rag on Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:47 pm

Incompetent idiots with no idea how to use a kitchen?

Putting food down the drains? Overloading a dishwasher?

A never ending source of hilarity.
Light the Rag

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Yes I can confirm that Haig building at the DRA site has been flooded. All residents were evacuated at 2am last night and have been housed in Temporary accomodation in other Halls throughout town.
The power to the building has been disconnected. A notice on the door says that the sitution will be reassessed on Monday morning.

Re:

Postby novium on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:57 pm

it must have been two years ago, it definitely was not last year.
Quoting Lid from 15:54, 22nd Jan 2006
(Trying again, due to Sinner fault)

I hear this isn't the first time this has happened, Scott 9 destroyed the flats below it a year or two ago. Is it about time we started walking round with umbrellas?

[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires

[hr]

"those who wish to be feared must inevitably be afraid of those whom they intimidate"
"In anger nothing right or judicious can be done."
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby Kaydo. on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:59 pm

uh I hope none of my stuff's wrecked or I'm gonna have to lay the smack-down
Kaydo.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Hang on - isn't DRA the Annexe? As in, the brand spanking new buildings?
Anon.

Re:

Postby Anon. on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting Anon. from 22:02, 22nd Jan 2006
Hang on - isn't DRA the Annexe? As in, the brand spanking new buildings?

Annexe. Apartments. Whatever.

Hell, I didn't even know all the old buildings had been knocked down.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:05 pm

Apartments, old man. A 2 year old building quite literally peeing itself.

Quoting from 17:59, 22nd Jan 2006
Yes I can confirm that Haig building at the DRA site has been flooded. All residents were evacuated at 2am last night and have been housed in Temporary accomodation in other Halls throughout town.
The power to the building has been disconnected. A notice on the door says that the sitution will be reassessed on Monday morning.

i.e.... the rest of the university's closed for the weekend so no-one can turn the stop-cock off until the office opens on Monday?

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 pm

Ha Ha, yeah, it's quite funny. When my heating went off I turned on all the cooker rings, oven, grill, and boiled the kettle with the lid off to get some heat into the place until the repairmen came. It was right in the middle of exams and i couldn't move my fingers for the cold.

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby paw paw on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:13 pm

Can you imagine the smell from the flats when you all get back cos all the electricity is off...our electricity went off last year in dra and the fridge was left for 2 weeks and the smell was unbelievable..we can still smell in this year, plus we lost alot of food then and didnt get any money for it even tho it was the uni's fault :(

It sreally weird to see haig in complete darkness aswell
paw paw

Re:

Postby Roadkill on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Quoting dunqn from 16:34, 22nd Jan 2006
University incompetence - a never ending source of hilarity. I remember the lower parts of Scott being destroyed in summer 2004, i'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson after that.

I seriously think their handling of the situation has been abysmal. We can't blame the Residence Admin for the flood, but the haven't kept residents informed: I was at homje when it happened, and would not have know to this day that my flat was in such a terrible state if my flatmate hadn't called us, and wouldn't know that I weas being moved unless I had called the residence admin to enquire!!!
Roadkill

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:43 pm

i live in Haldane and someone came in yestereday to check for a leak as the flat below us was getting a drip from their ceiling apparently...

[hr]

It's about time the piano realized that it did not write the concerto

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106569
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Return to The Sinner's Main Board