Home

TheSinner.net

Weirdest behaviour by a member of stuff yet?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Weirdest behaviour by a member of staff yet?

Postby fran on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:59 am

I guess the title pretty much says it- that can be cleaners, secretaries, lecturers, residence managers, whatever.
fran

Re:

Postby M_A_T_T_H_E_W on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 pm

Do you mean member of staff

because at the moment the title conffused me

[hr]

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
Please note the above post is not written in English, it is wrottenin obsurce language similar in many ways to English but wit many subtle and major differences.

What's the food like at the end of the universe?
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
M_A_T_T_H_E_W

Re:

Postby fran on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:04 pm

It conFFused you? Sorry, about that.
fran

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Prof. John "The Legend" Tucker of biology once dressed up as Satan in order to explain parasite reproductive strategy. He also once brought in a ping-pong ball firing gun to symbolise ADP-ATP synthesis, and proceded to shoot the class.

[hr]

La loi est dure, mais l'aigle ne chasse pas les mouches.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby LK Today on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 pm

When I was in first year my cleaner in halls came into my room one morning, while I was still in bed, and started taking down my posters, photos, calendar, basically anything on my wall. When I asked her why, she said she needed to see if the wall was clean, and that we shouldn't have anything on the walls anyway. Then she disappeared, and next we heard, she'd been arrested for attempting to stab her husband. Not sure if it is true or not, but was a bit scary all the same.
LK Today

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:25 pm

That reminded me, one time last year my ex and I were in bed (I'll let you imagine our state of dress) at 8am and the head of New Hall cleaning knocked on the door. I yelled "just a minute", but she opened the door, came in to the bathroom and poked around claiming she'd "just be a second".

Needless to say, we were stunned, and could only huddle under the covers.

[hr]

La loi est dure, mais l'aigle ne chasse pas les mouches.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100343
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Does Hugh Kennedy still walk up the lecture hall from desk to desk?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby KateBush on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Mate, if you're gonna talk about weird behaviour, there are 2 people you have to mention--

Carson from French

and

none other than...

the absolute legend that is....

PHILIP PARRY!

ahahahaaaaaaaaa

[hr]

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vasovagalvegan/
POTS and Vasovagal Syncope- not for the *faint* hearted
See me in my wheelchair? Keep staring--I might do a trick!
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Iain on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 pm

Lecturers who will remain unnamed have been known to come out with the following phrases:

"You b@stards all sitting up the back again, eh?"

"In third year *** takes you all over to Dunkeld and then later on in the semester we all go up north to Portsoy and get pissed"

On the lack of trouble on fieldwork: "Where's the scandal, why are the guys in seperate rooms to the girls, you all gay or something?"

On metamorphism: "Old cold and fast subduction versus young hot and slow... hmm... there's a joke in there somewhere"

Needless to say, nobody complained.

[hr]

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~snpsoc
Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby niall on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 pm

i cant remember the name, but i do remember a physics lecturer demonstrating angular momentum, with a swivel seat and weight.

was rather ammusing

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 pm

This didn't happen to me, but I heard her bragging/mentioning it to another cleaner while standing outside my door. Suspect it's the same woman as in DrAlex's story, actually.

Name made up for ease of story-telling.

Cleaner: [knocking on bedroom door] "Mr Smith? Mr John IAN Smith? Open up, it's the police!"
[terrified John Smith runs and opens the door]
Cleaner: "Just kidding. Can I look around your room?"

Not sure if that counts as weird or just evil.

Can't think of anything particularly weird other than that. Dr Shearer does have a habit of introducing random topics, for example that she had the latest McFly song stuck in her head, halfway through delivering a lecture but that just makes her awesome. :)
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 12:33, 27th Jan 2006
Does Hugh Kennedy still walk up the lecture hall from desk to desk?

Ah, that old "problem with the projector".

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby maenad on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:27 pm

We have a somewhat senile porter who switches between at least two personalities at random. I once went down to tell him the girl's bathroom was flooded and he shrugged and said he wasn't dealing with that, he didn't do that - he'd send one of the young ones up when they got here. Which I thought odd, considering I know they have to write their every move down in a little log book. If you have to make a note of the fact that a student accidentally left their bag in the foyer and you took it up to their room, why aren't you obliged to unflood the frigging bathroom?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:35 pm

1. Doug Benn climbing a telegraph pole in crampons in Newcastle whilst waiting for a ferry to Norway.

2. Iain Cupples.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm

Quoting DrAlex from 12:18, 27th Jan 2006
Prof. John "The Legend" Tucker of biology once dressed up as Satan in order to explain parasite reproductive strategy. He also once brought in a ping-pong ball firing gun to symbolise ADP-ATP synthesis, and proceded to shoot the class.

Not to mention the time he borught in a vacuum cleaner to demonstrate the principle of the molluscan siphon; "now" says he, "I don't like the noise that a hoover makes, so I'll make it myself", at which point he proceeded to wander back and forward infront of 100 or so bemused students going "NYEEEOOOOWOOOWOWOOOAHHHHOOOHOHOOO"

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Jos Dad on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:17 pm

[quote]Quoting niall from 13:05, 27th Jan 2006
i cant remember the name, but i do remember a physics lecturer demonstrating angular momentum, with a swivel seat and weight.

was rather ammusing

[hr]

Prof Jack (J.F.)Allen was the originator of this demonstration. The lecture used to start ( in his flat Canadian accent and deadpan) "You have probably noticed that whenever you throw a cat out of the window it always lands on its feet" and finished with everyone filing out of the theatre with him still siting in the swivel chair keeping it turning without touching the floor. Some of Prof Allen's lectures, such as the low temperature physics ones ( his speciality ) were standing room only with half the Arts faculty present as well!
From the Glory of High fell, unto the despair of life.
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Jesus.

Lecturer 1:
"Come with me, if you will, up the anal canal."
"Turn now if you will, to the third page - that being page number three."

#2:
"This cupboard here, being the pterygopalentine fossa..." (steps into cleaning cupboard) "And there in the roof I can see the pterygopalentine ganglion."

#3:
"I remember when I had sepsis, I just thought to myself 'Oh dear - this is a very serious condition'."
"They used cow dung to seal the umbilical cord, which is always full of nasty little beasties."
"I remember when I had syphilis."
"When I was in Mongolia..."

And for some reason, Professor Riches always talks about irradiated mice.

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 15:30, 27th Jan 2006

Legend has it that on one exceptionally snowy winters morning Prof. Riches was one of the few staff to make it in on time, having cross-country skied all the way from Strathkinness.

[hr]

flarewearer

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Quoting flarewearer from 16:12, 27th Jan 2006
Quoting Dave the Explosive Newt from 15:30, 27th Jan 2006

Legend has it that on one exceptionally snowy winters morning Prof. Riches was one of the few staff to make it in on time, having cross-country skied all the way from Strathkinness.

[hr]

I find that a little far-fetched. The man doesn't exactly have the physique of a gazelle.

[hr]

This Sinner account is not affiliated with Will Watson.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:00 pm

Theres that management lecture that demonstraits something in first year management by throwing a bottle of water into the upper tier of the buccanan theatre. John I think his name was.

Can't remember the point - maybe not the best learning strategy :P

[hr]

I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board