Home

TheSinner.net

Webmail after graduation

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Webmail after graduation

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:04 am

I'm graduating this year but I'd really like to keep my St Andrews webmail account. Does anyone know if this is possible and how I can go about it? Thanks.

Re:

Postby LK Today on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 am

I believe we voted in a referendum that we should be able to keep our university e mail accounts after graduation, but I am not sure what has come of it. The best thing to do would be to speak to IT Services. I think you can, but as I said I'm not too sure.
LK Today

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:07 am

It was not a referendum, it was a poll, a way to gague opinion.

The idea was to allow you to keep the address, and redirect all mail to an account you specified (hotmail or whatever).

The poll was in no way binding.

[hr]

Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:06 am

The previous case would be that your account was held open until about October or so, when they were gradually closed down. I got mine extended for a year because I was still doing research for my department, but they seem to have forgotten about closing it down.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:46 pm

I'd email helpdesk - that's probably the best way.
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:26 pm

I graduated last June, and from my experience, my webmail is still running - not that I check it. All I ever get is spam. Amazing how much of that hits university accounts...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby donkey on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:15 pm

I think it'd be great if we could have some kind of alumni email service here: would probably be something I'd be willing to pay a little bit for, though I imagine some well placed advertising could make it self sufficient.

I know cambridge has @cantab.net and Oxford and Durham have something similar.

Any thoughts?
donkey

Re:

Postby Colin on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:28 pm

I would take the opportunity to get a new e-mail address. I still have my St Andrews one 2 and a half years after I graduated (as I still collaborate with St Andrews on research occasionally), and I don't even check it anymore as it gets so much spam. A new address won't be on spamming lists for at least a little while, and it is an easy enough thing to send a change of address e-mail to those that you want to be able to contact you. And as Gubbins says, your address will still work until probably about October (you will be warned before they delete it), so plenty of time to have a new one by then.
Colin

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:20 am

i graduated this year and i stopped being able to access my email this month.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board