Home

TheSinner.net

F - Secure

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

F - Secure

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:06 am

Has anyone else found their computers to run much more slowly on installing F-Secure (The ITS suggested anti Virus programme)?

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:31 am

No, but then I wouldn't touch F-Secure with a bargepole anyway. Much like Norton Antivirus, it slows your computer down, it crashes without much provocation and is prone to missing infections. ITS seem to love it.

Try AVG Free.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:02 am

Symantec (the people that make norton) do a good anti-virus, Symantec Anti-Virus. It's designed for business, and is very good.

[hr]

Strangers passing in the street, by chance two seperate glances meet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:17 am

F secure made various things on my 'puter crash. I wouldn't go near it if I were you. I use AVG as 'Fawksie' recommended.

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 am

F-Secure is the tool of choice for most UK universities. I use it because I object to paying for anything else. There a completely free package out there called Avast, which I've heard good reports about, but never used. I've found F-Secure does slow down disc access marginally and takes up <1% of the CPU on average, but my computers are fast :) .

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:22 am

Yep try AVG free....then crack it.

Re:

Postby Smith on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:43 am

When I installed F-Secure, my PC would not run at all except in safe mode, and even that was ridiculusly slow. I finally managed to get it off, and I'm using MaCafee now.

[hr]

We're not drunk, we're multi-millionaires...
IMAGE:img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ryanlewisjones/burlyman.jpg
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Re:

Postby Ethan With on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Or simply download the completely free version of AVG. Takes a bit of looking for, but it's worth it. Doesn't slow your computer down as much either.
Ethan With

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting ethan with from 12:43, 1st Feb 2006
Or simply download the completely free version of AVG. Takes a bit of looking for, but it's worth it. Doesn't slow your computer down as much either.

The completely free version was what I linked. Here's a direct link to the installer if you like: http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg71free_375a691.exe
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:48 pm

I noticed my computer running a lot faster when I took off F-secure and replaced it with AVG-Free

[hr]

image:www.magnificentoctopus.com/x/elgar.png
flarewearer

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:03 pm

Just the anti-virus used to mess up my computer, but the whole security package from F Secure I have now seems to work perfectly.

[hr]

veni vidi nates calce concidi - i came, i saw, i kicked ass
grousefanatic

Re:

Postby [James] on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:42 pm

Are there any advantages at all of having F-Secure over AVG? Is AVG just as effective?

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:05 pm

AVG is an excellent antivirus package, which doesnt eat up your computers resources and best of all is free. Why ITS dont use it ive no idea.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Nickel on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 pm

On F-secure being slow:
F-secure itself generally does not slow down computers very much, it does however install BackWeb for automatically updating the virus signatures and BackWeb will slow down computers. So if you can't stand the performance loss, uninstall backweb and make damn sure you keep it up to date yourself.

On fsecure breaking computers...
If you install fsecure, or any antivirus software, on a computer that already has antivirus, there will be a problem. For some reason the most unusable computers seem to be the ones with both fsecure and norton. The only computers I have ever seen that stopped working after installing fsecure were ones that already had antivirus on them.

On Other antivirus products...
The main reason antivirus products fail to detect virus's, is that they are not up to date, or the virus was so new when the computer was infected that the antivirus program didn't know what to look for. Once a virus get's onto a computer it can then disable for deceive the antivirus program so it stays undetected. That being said, there do seem to be some virus's that are just never detected by some anti virus products. I'm not sure if that is because those vendors never release updates for those virus's or because the detection engine isn't able to pick up all types of infection. I don't believe I have seen a computer properly running fsecure that didn't detect all the virus' it had. I have seen this on numerous occasions for norton, macaffee, sophos, ezantivirus, panda antivirus, kaspersky, and probably a few more that I can't remember right now, even avg free misses a few.

On AVG...
It's free and does a pretty good job while using little system resources. But I have seen a number of computers with up to date avg free that claimed there were no virus's when there were. Installing f-secure then removed them.

Ultimately, any up to date anti virus product is better than none. AVG is better than most. F escure is better than anything else I have seen.
Nickel

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting from 22:37, 31st Jan 2006
Has anyone else found their computers to run much more slowly on installing F-Secure (The ITS suggested anti Virus programme)?

Just get yourself a Mac. They're more or less immune.

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting from 19:22, 1st Feb 2006

no they're not. they got the biggest problem of all. it's a mac.

[hr]

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding,
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting from 19:22, 1st Feb 2006
Quoting from 22:37, 31st Jan 2006

Thats one of the most ignorant, oversimplified posts ive read here.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.macintyre42.plus.com/images/tb2-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
[s]http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com[/s]
Duggeh

Re:

Postby grousefanatic on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Nickel from 23:24, 1st Feb 2006
On F-secure being slow:
F-secure itself generally does not slow down computers very much, it does however install BackWeb for automatically updating the virus signatures and BackWeb will slow down computers. So if you can't stand the performance loss, uninstall backweb and make damn sure you keep it up to date yourself.

When helping a friend set up his computer, we downloaded the latest F-Secure stuff from the uni, which allows you to uncheck "Install Backweb" as the anti-virus is now capable of updating itself.

As for the unreg comment about Macs, all this palava over the latest worm out Nyxem or summat keeps dredging up the fact that the first recognisable virus was aimed at an Apple computer...

[hr]

grousefanatic

Re:

Postby [James] on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Nickel from 23:24, 1st Feb 2006I have seen a number of computers with up to date AVG free that claimed there were no viruses when there were. Installing F-Secure then removed them... F-Secure is better than anything else I have seen.

So what's the consensus? AVG or F-Secure? I've just switched F-Secure for AVG and my computer certainly seemed to start up faster (BackWeb was not installed, by the way), but I don't want to sacrifice security for speed if AVG is likely to miss anything.

[hr]

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html
[James]

Re:

Postby Smith on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:22 am

I wouldn't worry about it, I wasn't running any antivirus for 6 months, and when I finally installed some anti-virus software, I didn't have a single virus on there.
A much better use of space is an anti-spyware program, cos those spyware's are a pain in the ass.

[hr]

We're not drunk, we're multi-millionaires...
IMAGE:img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ryanlewisjones/burlyman.jpg
Cake, and fine wine.
Smith

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board